Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weak ejection issue after steel grip install???

nelson1each

So I just switched my grip from polymer to the stainless Cheely E2 grip on my CK open gun. I installed the grip myself and it didn’t appear to need any fitting as it went on with ease (it did require a few taps from a small rubber hammer to seat it all the way) I got to shoot it today and I have to say the new grip is awesome! But I did have 2 jams out of 100 with a piece of brass hanging up in the action. I had someone else shoot it so I could look and the brass was just rolling out the right side of the gun rather than being thrown 10 ft like it used too. One buddy recommended a Brazos tuned ejector as he says this fixed his similar problem. So I’ve ordered one and will give that a try. Figured I’d post here and see what all you guys have to say about this as I’m still relatively new to open. Is it possible I screwed something up on the grip install that would effect ejection? Can just a grip change affect ejection? Any thoughts/input is appreciated. Thanks!

Frame seems to slide freely to me...compared it to my other gun that has a polymer grip on it. Running an 8lb spring and shooting 9 major. Also loaded up some dummy rounds and cycled them....they eject great and are getting tossed a few yards to the side in a pretty consistent pattern. Aftec extractor appears to be in good order as I did the test to see if it holds a round while I shake the slide around like I saw on some you tube videos. 

20 hours ago, nelson1each said:

So I just switched my grip from polymer to the stainless Cheely E2 grip on my CK open gun. I installed the grip myself and it didn’t appear to need any fitting as it went on with ease (it did require a few taps from a small rubber hammer to seat it all the way) . Thanks!

i hope not on ejector😀 

How are you holding the gun. Did you change the way you grip it with the metal grip. If it ran with the polymer grip it should run with the metal grip.

When I changed to the metal grip there was no problem.

How about this...is the magazine being held higher in the gun (due to the new grip's mag release being slightly higher) and dragging on the bottom of the slide?

When you put an empty mag in the gun and rack it, do you feel dragging?  If so, you can do a little relieving on the mag catch or the bottom of the slide.  That might help.

15 hours ago, pyrrhic3gun said:

How about this...is the magazine being held higher in the gun (due to the new grip's mag release being slightly higher) and dragging on the bottom of the slide?

When you put an empty mag in the gun and rack it, do you feel dragging?  If so, you can do a little relieving on the mag catch or the bottom of the slide.  That might help.

I have had this happen to me. Good advice

1 hour ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: take the slide off and remove the barrel and guide rod setup. Put the slide back on the frame and see if it slides freely. If so then insert a magazine and see if it still slides freely. Thanks, Eric

So I did this to both the steel and polymer grip guns and they both ran smooth with and without the magazine. That was a good check to perform so learned something new there. Gonna try the Brazos tuned ejector next when it comes in just cuz I ordered it. Talked to Bobby at Ck and he explained some things about steel grips changing things and being a bit finicky. Will eventually get the gun to him so he can check it out. In the mean time it still runs just weaker on ejection now (with an occasional jam) so I’ll keep rolling cuz Open is too much fun and the steel grip makes it that much better! Please keep the input coming as I’m learning as I go with 2011’s.

Things to check...

make sure the hammer isnt hitting in the beaver tail. 

Make sure the hammer spring feels the same. 

Something is slowing the slide. My guess is the beaver tail hitting the hammer when it comes back or somehow your hammer spring got stiffer, either by sitting higher, or something is interfering with your hammer and/or strut.

Hello: Good point about the mainspring housing. Check to see if there are burrs in the mainspring housing causing the mainspring cap to slow the slide down. I have had to ream the mainspring housings before to remove burrs and to make them round. Thanks, Eric

I’ll have to check these things out tomorrow. Wondering what you guys think of this...is there any chance that running it breaks in whatever the cause is....or keep running it and it’s only gonna get worse...thoughts?

OK, heres another one I ran into a while back.  The hammer strut (I'm almost certain it was a titanium one) had a short length where the cross section went from the rectangular shape to a round shape which rode in the mainspring cap.  The transition had not been beveled, so the sharp "ledge" on the strut would hit the mainspring housing and stop the hammer.  If yours is like that, you might bevel the strut at that transisiton and see if it helps.  Attached a pic of one that is beveled.

strut1.jpg

Update. Checked out most of the things listed above. No metal shavings or rust in the mainspring housing. The hammer strut is one size all the way up so there is no binding there. The hammer does not contact the beaver tail. Also got in the Brazos tuned ejectors burnthise suckers are to thick. The hammer can’t drop and the slide can’t go on with those...it appears if I did some filing to skinny up the Brazos ejector that it may work. So next week I’m gonna mess with that. Also gonna take the grip off and see if some filing is needed to losses the fit. Any further input is appreciated. In the mean time if the wx holds up I’m gonna run it as is in a match tomorrow so will see how that goes. 

• 1 month later...

Update. Problems solved. Had Pedro from Ortiz Custom guns go through my open guns. Both were in need of some slide & barrel lapping to smooth them out. Also lowered the main spring weight as it was really heavy. Now both my open guns run super slick and eject brass no issue! 

On 7/27/2019 at 6:35 PM, nelson1each said:

Update. Problems solved. Had Pedro from Ortiz Custom guns go through my open guns. Both were in need of some slide & barrel lapping to smooth them out. Also lowered the main spring weight as it was really heavy. Now both my open guns run super slick and eject brass no issue! 

kind of sounds like the frame was squeezed by the steel grip bowing the rails out a little and loosening the slide to frame fit allowed it to move more freely. Now when you put the plastic grip back on is the slide to frame more loose than before ?

Check your grip screws.  On my e2 grip the left side bushing did not fully seat.  So when I tightened the screw up to what I thought was tight, it really wasn't.  After firing 100+ rounds the bushing broke and the grip wobbled a bit.  When I got home I put another bushing in, carefully aligned and applied a LOT of pressure to the screw to make sure the bushing was fully seated.  No problems since then.

On 7/30/2019 at 8:28 AM, Shmella said:

kind of sounds like the frame was squeezed by the steel grip bowing the rails out a little and loosening the slide to frame fit allowed it to move more freely. Now when you put the plastic grip back on is the slide to frame more loose than before ?

Won’t be installing the plastic grips now that my guns are up and running with the steel grips so won’t be able to check that out. Even with fitting the grip it seems they needed some lapping compound attention. Another big thing was changing the hammer spring from 18 pounds down to 14...was really slowing the slide down.