Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grease or Oil

GregInAtl

Do you use grease or gun oil to lubricate your gun (I am referring to strictly the lubricating portion of gun cleaning and not the cleaning part)?  I've heard people say, as a general rule,  grease for metal guns, oil for polymer guns. Please exclude CLP's from consideration.

Both....Grease if it slides, oil if it rotates....

Please don't ask me where that came from, or why I do it, because I can't remember.

Works for me though...

(But I suspect just about anything would work)

7 minutes ago, lacivilian said:

Enos Slide Glide-lite and and a few drops of Lucas oil to keep it thin. 

Pretty much the same. Combo of slide glide and Lucas oil. I tried a sample pack of the Lucas oil one day and it seems to fit the perfect balance of oil and grease. 

Depends of temperature: light oil everywhere when it is cold (and slight amount of grease on barrell lugs) or 0W40 oil during summer everywhere (plus small amount of grease on lugs). I oil gun every 200-400 rounds anyway to keep it run flawless. The fact I do not use a lot of oil to keep red dot glass clean - just thin film will do.

On 6/1/2019 at 3:49 PM, BobT said:

Both....Grease if it slides, oil if it rotates....

Please don't ask me where that came from, or why I do it, because I can't remember.

Works for me though...

(But I suspect just about anything would work)

I believe thats for industrial??

• 2 weeks later...

I use either Extant Labs Alpha Sauce or Alpha Gel depending on the application. A little Alpha Sauce on my 9mm major open gun and 800 rounds later it's still well lubed and very clean. The micro ball bearings in both products are pretty incredible.