Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammer spring only Trigger job

I have a completely Stock Tanfoglio Stock I.

The gun is uber reliable...CCI primers? Tula magnum? Muahhahahahaha this gun eats it all.

The trigger pull tho leaves a lot of be desired. It’s not terrible, but not in same league as my 2 PD tuned Stock IIIs.

I’m not in the mood to sit and polish a lot of surfaces...and don’t wanna spend $300 for a smith to do it either.

So will changing to a 14lb (or 15.5lb) hammer spring (no other work) allow me to reduce my DA/SA pull significantly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the weights now? I think with just the hammer spring, you would probably lose 4 lbs to the DA and maybe a pound or two in single action.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the estimates dude!

DA is Off the charts on my 8lb max trigger gauge & SA = 7lb.

If I can loose 4lbs in DA & 1lb in SA, I’m moving forward!

Well my DA is at 8 and my SA is at 5 after I dropped in a 14 lb wolf spring. If you flatten off and grind the ends, or clip a spring, you can lower the DA.

Shortening the hooks is what will drop the SA.

My original was like 12# DA/6.5 # SA

I did a Xtreme medium hammer spring (because it was what I had laying around) a PD sear spring and PD TRS on a factory Lim Pro and got the DA just under 8 pounds.  I have not messed with polishing anything and do not intend to change the hammer or anything.   So I am all in for about $11 and am very happy with the trigger. 

I did a Xtreme medium hammer spring (because it was what I had laying around) a PD sear spring and PD TRS on a factory Lim Pro and got the DA just under 8 pounds.  I have not messed with polishing anything and do not intend to change the hammer or anything.   So I am all in for about $11 and am very happy with the trigger. 

You went further than me. Still, results are encouraging.

I’ll try it and report back.

Ya, I already had the hammer spring.  So I spent about the same amount on the other 2 springs.  I can disassemble a Tanfo, swap the sear spring, TRS, hammer spring, and reassemble in about 3 minutes.   I did it while sitting in on a shut up and listen meeting at work one day when I was working from home.

More to the point though. you may not get sub 8 pounds but, I think you will be happy with the results.  

I have not a single issue with the Lim Pro and should something tragic ever happen down the road in its current form I have no concerns about EAA accepting it for warranty repairs. 

More to the point though. you may not get sub 8 pounds but, I think you will be happy with the results.  

I have not a single issue with the Lim Pro and should something tragic ever happen down the road in its current form I have no concerns about EAA accepting it for warranty repairs. 

Yup,
Agreed!

4 springs should be changed. 

PD optimized;  sear spring, trigger return, firing pin return and hammer spring.

If you want to RELIABLY ignite cci primers with no polishing,  EG medium. Then lower strength wolff 16, pd15.5, wolff 15, wolff14, pd14.

Be aware that newer guns seem to have shallow cut hammer spring pockets and they might require a coil trim of the longer pd 15.5

Just that will give around 8-10#da and 4—5#sa. Hard to tell exactly. 

Then use a thin grease on the sear to hammer interface and the trigger bar lifter (all of it). Synthetic brake grease works well as does enos slide glide.

3 hours ago, johnbu said:

Be aware that newer guns seem to have shallow cut hammer spring pockets and they might require a coil trim of the longer pd 15.5

Have you noticed this....the recent 15.5 lb PD springs I have gotten are now same length as the their other springs.

I missed where you said 7 pounds SA Localizer.  That is rough.  My Lim Pro was around 5 pounds from the factory in SA.  A little under 3 pounds now.  Hard to get an exact weight since I have one of those cheap ass Wheeler Trigger Pull scales that is pretty much just a fish weighing scale and not a fancy digital one.

I think it would be smart to listen to John and change the other springs too.  The TRS and sear spring made a big difference in the reduction of my trigger pull.

1 hour ago, Polymer said:

Have you noticed this....the recent 15.5 lb PD springs I have gotten are now same length as the their other springs.

I have not.  but, my "stock" of springs is 18 months old. I get a pile at once to reduce shipping costs. 

• 2 weeks later...

You went further than me. Still, results are encouraging.

I’ll try it and report back.

Just updating the thread...

With ONLY a hammer spring (everything else stock), the results are as follows:

DA: ~>8lbs ish
SA: 4.25#

The DA breaks just as I go high scale on the mechanical trigger...but it IS SIGNIFICANTLY lighter than when stock.

Both DA/SA are smoother & overalll much better, allowing for trigger break without too much effort.

I hope to take it to the range this week and see what she does with CCI primers and update the thread accordingly.

For reference, I have two (2) PD tuned Stock IIIs.

For those guns, DA:~7.5lbs to 7 7/8lbs; SA; 2.5lbs & 3.5lbs

This is by far the best bang for the buck.

If I can achieve the same level of reliability, then I’ll never pay to polish a Tanfo or buy any other springs again.

I know I did more work than Localizer but, not by that much.  Have some results to add to the thread...

As previously stated in this thread I went with an Xtreme Medium hammer spring (since I already had one). I believe the Medium Xtreme is about 16 pounds.  I changed the TRS, sear spring, and based on a comment from Johnbu in this thread the firing pin spring also with the PD springs.  My DA is a tad under 8 pounds, my SA is right about 2.5 on my Lim Pro.  I shot my first match this weekend with this setup and the gun ran great!  All my DA shots were right on point and the SA was really nice.  I had no issues with how the gun ran with factory hammer and all the unpolished parts.  The reset is definitely a little longer than it was with my limited gun but, on the timer and with all the running I did not notice any difference. 

Next time I buy parts I will probably pick up a 14 pound PD spring to see what the pull weight goes down to but, the Xtreme Medium is a nice spring and the DA really feels great the way it is.

Very happy with the way everything went this weekend.  Looking forward to shooting another match next weekend with this setup.

The other day I decided to do some polishing to a Limited gun that I had only installed a 14 lb wolf hammer spring and a CZ75 sear spring into.

I lightly polished the trigger bar plunger, the trigger bar, sear cage, sear, and the hammer hooks on the oem hammer. The SA trigger pull went from 3 lbs 10 ounces to slightly under 2 lbs 8 ounces.

On 6/9/2019 at 5:50 PM, Localizer said:

Sorry for being vague.

I put in Patriotdefense 15.5# hammer spring.

That’s about as low as I’m willing to go...

I understand as I too value 100% reliability.