Kraj

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 hours ago, wtturn said:

It's not a slide stop. It's a takedown lever.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Yes, sorry, that is correct and I corrected my comment.

No reason the ruling could not be applied to a slide stop as well though, especially with something like a CZ where the slide stop is pretty far forward on the frame. 

Yes, sorry, that is correct and I corrected my comment.

No reason the ruling could not be applied to a slide stop as well though, especially with something like a CZ where the slide stop is pretty far forward on the frame. 

Now show me in the rule where aftermarket takedown levers are allowed.

I wasn't being pedantic earlier. I made the distinction for a reason.

3 hours ago, wtturn said:

Now show me in the rule where aftermarket takedown levers are allowed.

On 5/30/2019 at 4:59 PM, Kraj said:

Screenshot_20190530-171313.png

The post from Troy specifically references slide stops and takedown levers both.

I think the biggest issue with a Nitrofin slide stop thumbrest is if it will fit in the box.

Possibly with a single side safety, with an ambi safety probably not.

If we're squaded together and use one of these on your gun you will be able to see and feel the eye roll I'm doing each time you shoot.

Signed- a fellow Prod shooter

Edited by rowdyb

The post from Troy specifically references slide stops and takedown levers both.

I think the biggest issue with a Nitrofin slide stop thumbrest is if it will fit in the box.

Possibly with a single side safety, with an ambi safety probably not.
I'm aware of what Troy said.

I'm asking someone to cite the rulebook.

My bad. I misread what you had said. 

Edited to add the rule that mentions OFM slide stops.

21.6 Exchange of minor EXTERNAL 
components
Sights, firing pins, firing pin retainers, pins, 
extractors, magazine releases, slide stops, thumb 
safeties, triggers, hammers, bushings, and 
ejectors MAY be replaced with OFM or 
aftermarket parts. Exchange of OFM parts 
between different models of Production 
approved guns is allowed.

The funny thing is that list does not mention the takedown lever specifically. On a CZ/Tanfo the slide stop is the takedown.  On a Sig, not so much.  They are obviously separate components.

I am sure as heck not advocating for the use of any sort of thumb rest here.  At $120 for a Nitrofin I will stick with the Pro Grip instead.  I prefer to keep my "poor man's open gun" exactly that...poor.

Edited by billthemarine2862

28 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

If we're squaded together and use one of these on your gun you will be able to see and feel the eye roll I'm doing each time you shoot.

Same. 

21.6 Exchange of minor EXTERNAL 
components
Sights, firing pins, firing pin retainers, pins, 
extractors, magazine releases, slide stops, thumb 
safeties, triggers, hammers, bushings, and 
ejectors MAY be replaced with OFM or 
aftermarket parts. Exchange of OFM parts 
between different models of Production 
approved guns is allowed.

The funny thing is that list does not mention the takedown lever specifically. On a CZ/Tanfo the slide stop is the takedown.  On a Sig, not so much.  They are obviously separate components.

Yes, precisely.

For all the people that are pushing for Production to be more like Limited (gas pedals, maj/min scoring, increased mag capacity, etc) instead of pushing for changes in Production, why not just shoot Limited and leave Production as is? 

On 6/10/2019 at 9:55 PM, rowdyb said:

And in your case the burn after you demolish his hit factor.  Without using a gaz pedal.  Mic drop........

Edited by elguapo

10 hours ago, JGus said:

For all the people that are pushing for Production to be more like Limited (gas pedals, maj/min scoring, increased mag capacity, etc) instead of pushing for changes in Production, why not just shoot Limited and leave Production as is? 

Because most of them don't want to fool with .40 cal.  

2 hours ago, ATLDave said:

Because most of them don't want to fool with .40 cal.  

They don't have to.  They can shoot limited minor. 

I get your point, but if they don't want to shoot .40 major in Limited, they do have a choice. Yes, it may put them at a disadvantage for scoring, but it's still a choice. 

It's just my opinion, which is worth as much as it costs, but instead of people trying to change a division to fit their personal wants, just find a division that is best suited for them, even if it means shooting Limited minor, or only 10 rounds to a mag, etc, etc.

How about this, change CO and call it Tactical or something, remove the optic required and make it DA or striker fired with a max width (similar to the box width) 140mm mags minor scoring.   Want to use a thumb rest? great shoot Tactical, want a mini mag well? shoot Tactical,  Optic? Tactical, Laser? Tactical, flashlight? Tactical.

Then change Production back to something that resembles a production gun. Want to shoot a gun that looks like it came from the factory? production.

On 6/10/2019 at 9:08 PM, wtturn said:

I'm aware of what Troy said.

I'm asking someone to cite the rulebook.

I see what you did there.. ;) 

I can’t wait to open the rulebook (app 🙄) in a few months and notice that takedown levers have been slipped into that list.

Making USPSA great again.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

So I want to come at this from a little different angle and give my input if for nothing else to maybe add a different perspective.

I have an old moto racing injury(one of MANY)that left me with a severed ligament in my support hand thumb, apparently the one that gives you dexterity and vertical movement. I can still make a fist and apply downward/sideways pressure, but that's it. I cannot extend my thumb like the rest of my digits when I'm establishing my grip on the gun nor can I control the amount of sideways pressure put into the frame of the gun when gripping hard(as we do)and is something I have regularly struggled with from the beginning learning to shoot a pistol.

I shoot a Tanfo Stock 2 and my thumb regularly jams into or hangs up on the slide stop lever, rides the slide and I have also had my thumb end up inside the trigger guard when training fast draws and reloads in dryfire.

(reference pics)

Thumbs.thumb.jpg.a755d51e387f1bd07b839a698feded6e.jpg

Recently at a match I was handling a friends limited gun that happened to have the Nitro fin on it and I can honestly say that was the most comfortable and firm grip I have been able to apply onto a pistol - EVER. It felt amazing - I actually felt like I could repeatedly put my support hand in the same place with even amounts of grip pressure.

So personally for me it has zero to do with the effects or benefits it has on recoil control and has absolutely everything to do with finally having a place to put my thumb where it wont interfere with grip pressure,  how the gun tracks, or re-establishing my grip after a reload or running, etc.

That being said, I am willing to do whatever necessary to comply within the rules with how this applies to production(i.e fitting the box, etc.)and have purchased one in the interim to test and experiment with. Cheers guys.

Edited by chaserracer

1 hour ago, JGus said:

They don't have to.  They can shoot limited minor. 

I get your point, but if they don't want to shoot .40 major in Limited, they do have a choice. Yes, it may put them at a disadvantage for scoring, but it's still a choice. 

It's just my opinion, which is worth as much as it costs, but instead of people trying to change a division to fit their personal wants, just find a division that is best suited for them, even if it means shooting Limited minor, or only 10 rounds to a mag, etc, etc.

Oh, I 100% agree with you.  Probably more than 100%.  I'm just explaining what I understand to be their motive.  They think everything but SAAMI-spec 9mm is dumb.  They want to be able to use that and face no disadvantage in any d@mn division they think looks like fun.  See all the (foolish, IMO) posts that crop up here saying that major should be killed, or we should go to a universal 150 PF with 5/4/1 scoring, or whatever.  

I find it very tiresome.  But I think I know what they're on about.

50 minutes ago, chaserracer said:

So I want to come at this from a little different angle and give my input if for nothing else to maybe add a different perspective.

I have an old moto racing injury(one of MANY)that left me with a severed ligament in my support hand thumb, apparently the one that gives you dexterity and vertical movement. I can still make a fist and apply downward/sideways pressure, but that's it. I cannot extend my thumb like the rest of my digits when I'm establishing my grip on the gun nor can I control the amount of sideways pressure put into the frame of the gun when gripping hard(as we do)and is something I have regularly struggled with from the beginning learning to shoot a pistol.

I shoot a Tanfo Stock 2 and my thumb regularly jams into or hangs up on the slide stop lever, rides the slide and I have also had my thumb end up inside the trigger guard when training fast draws and reloads in dryfire.

(reference pics)

Thumbs.thumb.jpg.a755d51e387f1bd07b839a698feded6e.jpg

Recently at a match I was handling a friends limited gun that happened to have the Nitro fin on it and I can honestly say that was the most comfortable and firm grip I have been able to apply onto a pistol - EVER. It felt amazing - I actually felt like I could repeatedly put my support hand in the same place with even amounts of grip pressure.

So personally for me it has zero to do with the effects or benefits it has on recoil control and has absolutely everything to do with finally having a place to put my thumb where it wont interfere with grip pressure,  how the gun tracks, or re-establishing my grip after a reload or running, etc.

That being said, I am willing to do whatever necessary to comply within the rules with how this applies to production(i.e fitting the box, etc.)and have purchased one in the interim to test and experiment with. Cheers guys.

All great reasons to get a Limited gun, where new types of parts and experimentation is the norm.

All of these production changes into Limited are a bit annoying but I am totally against having production be 15 rounds.

The fact is, that while only 9 states are subject to mag limits, it is nearly 1/3 of the population and if I would venture to guess, about half of the people shooting USPSA?

And until the rule changes in USPSA, guys shooting Limited/Open in ban states were generally not shooting state capacity limits. lol.  

Part of the appeal of Production is that there is more required to win than just hosing the stage from one mag.   A botched mag change may mean a bad stage outcome and I think that is good and what separates USPSA from scripted games like IDPA.

I think the reason not to fool with the Production mag limit is because some people like having to do lots of mag changes and have devoted a bunch of time to that skill and have bought gear around that division's current requirements.  Production is popular.  It got popular while it had a billion reloads per stage as part of its character.  Those are reasons enough.   The people who currently shoot it obviously like shooting it as-is.

I am not one of those people, so I stay the f*** out of that division.  I don't ask for that division and its rules to come to me... I go to the division(s) that offer the kind of game I want to play.  

Edited by ATLDave

Mag changing is a thing, stage planning is a thing, something else I enjoy is the challenge of running stages with little opportunity for make up shots. It is not Virginia count, but the need for consistent accuracy makes it often feel like Virginia's big sister. 

Yep.  All that sounds very un-fun and horrible to me.  So I shoot Open and Limited!  

Raw fish sounds horrible to me.  Do I go to a sushi restaurant and demand they bring me a fried seafood platter?  No.  I just go to a different joint.  I don't like sushi, but it is OK with me that others do, and I don't want to ruin their fun.  

I don't understand why so many people - particularly people who are relatively new - are so selfishly insistent that all those who are already eating sushi need to be served fried catfish just because they like fried catfish.  And they can't be bothered to go a few blocks to the place with all the fried catfish they can eat. 

It would be nice if there were NO changes to the rule book or classifiers or anything but once every 5 years. let things settle and just "be" for a consistent, lengthy period of time.