Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
dauntedfuture

PCC build from PSA AR9

Team,

Any comments on building up a PCC from PSA AR9's?  I was looking at upgrading to the JP short stroke silent capture kit, comp and CMC 9mm PCC trigger to a base rifle and going from there.  Do these rifles run?  Alternative is building a mostly JP upper, a mostly TACCOM upper.... or .... yes I know, just buying a complete JP rifle.

Thanks

Buy quality jp, qc10 or mbx you won’t regret it. 

Daunted

This has a little to do with your post, I have a GMR15 and I just finished a parts gun, side charging upper and lower from NFA (I am not trying to enter the mine is better/bigger than yours debate) the barrel and internals are Taccom, I knew Mike when he was at JP, The home brewed PCC has run really well except when I mixed in a few 9 major rounds , no not on purpose,. I think most of the suppliers are putting out good stuff so follow your heart. If you plan on repeating my mistake get an extra extractor:roflol: Now to my real reason for responding I went through warfare training at Ft. Polk and had the "opportunity" to visit your fair city. I would love to return to see the progress/change however the memories were wonderful.

Thanks all   Fort polk is still here   We do have a uspsa style club and its not too bad; last match we had 50!   I think ill pull the trigger on the psa ar9 and put a jp silent capture short stroke kit into it and see what happens 

I have gone down the road of the PSA PCC that I bought used from a member here.  The only parts on the gun that are still PSA are the upper and lower.  Taccom recoil, bolt and ULW barrel.  I'd have to look at the trigger group to remember what brand is in it.  15" Diamondhead hand guard and a Magpul stock.  If I would have known from the beginning where I was going to eventually end up with time and money, I would have just bought a JP rifle at the beginning.  

1 hour ago, dauntedfuture said:

Thanks all   Fort polk is still here   We do have a uspsa style club and its not too bad; last match we had 50!   I think ill pull the trigger on the psa ar9 and put a jp silent capture short stroke kit into it and see what happens 

Save yourself a lot of headache and skip straight to the bliss that is JP. After all these years I still love shooting my GMR. It's been used as a loaner for others, as a stand in for others and loaned out for range demos. I couldn't go with another rifle. 

Not everyone wants to plunk down a couple grand to see if they like the Division.  I'm one of them.  Bought my first PSA AR9 about two years ago.  I like to tinker so I have changed out parts when I thought it was a good idea.  I prefer the Gen 2 lowers over the newer Gen 3.  As with many AR9's, you will probably want to change out triggers.

It now has over 13,000 rds on it and I don't remember the last time it jammed.   If you want to give it a try on a budget, you will be happy with your choice.  If the bug really bites you, then upgrade to something else.  By then you should have a better idea on what you need to compete.

And then, keep the PSA as a backup gun or sell it for close to what you have in it. In my case, I bought a second PSA for a backup gun and other than a new trigger, it from the factory stock.  It is also very reliable.

If I can answer any questions, i'd be happy to help.

I entered the PCC game with a PSA complete lower and upper.  Slapped on a red dot (holosun), and ran it!  It liked to dent bullet noses until I polished the sharp transition from ramp to chamber.  Now it runs like a champ. 

Now its time to play with the recoil impulse.  Since I don't reload, and I like shooting cheap 115s, I'm about to put a JP 308 buffer spring in it.  Then I'll test some nylon spacers I made for short-stroking it.   The trigger is pretty heavy, so JP 3.5 springs are on the list.

So    I went half way, psa lower w cmc pcc trigger and an entire taccom parts upper and taccom recoil system   I opted for 14.5” w pinned comp   

Not everyone wants to plunk down a couple grand to see if they like the Division.  I'm one of them.  Bought my first PSA AR9 about two years ago.  I like to tinker so I have changed out parts when I thought it was a good idea.  I prefer the Gen 2 lowers over the newer Gen 3.  As with many AR9's, you will probably want to change out triggers.

It now has over 13,000 rds on it and I don't remember the last time it jammed.   If you want to give it a try on a budget, you will be happy with your choice.  If the bug really bites you, then upgrade to something else.  By then you should have a better idea on what you need to compete.

And then, keep the PSA as a backup gun or sell it for close to what you have in it. In my case, I bought a second PSA for a backup gun and other than a new trigger, it from the factory stock.  It is also very reliable.

If I can answer any questions, i'd be happy to help.

^^^this right here. If you’re on a budget, buy and enjoy then upgrade as you can afford it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of the problems I've seen with PSA PCCs have been related to the ejector angle and have been easily corrected.

I'm working on a CMMG colt lower / 10.5" Foxtrot Mike colt upper build now.  It currently lives live as a pistol pending a Form 1 completion, but once that's done will become an SBR.  Looking at a FM rifle lower with spring/buffer included, then just need the optic to finish it out.  Brownell's 32rd mags and Taylor Freelance +10 extension/spring/follower on one.

On 5/31/2019 at 5:56 PM, dauntedfuture said:

So    I went half way, psa lower w cmc pcc trigger and an entire taccom parts upper and taccom recoil system   I opted for 14.5” w pinned comp   

That will be a great starting point 

My old gen 1 blemished PSA lower works great.  It's not broke so I am running it

On 6/5/2019 at 12:36 PM, mreed911 said:

I'm working on a CMMG colt lower / 10.5" Foxtrot Mike colt upper build now.  It currently lives live as a pistol pending a Form 1 completion, but once that's done will become an SBR.  Looking at a FM rifle lower with spring/buffer included, then just need the optic to finish it out.  Brownell's 32rd mags and Taylor Freelance +10 extension/spring/follower on one.

Did you e-file on the ATF website?

I have a two PSA ar9 lowers. One bone stock with about 1k rounds through it, another that is all PSA minus trigger, rail, buffer,  and comp. I run hiperfire triggers. Anyways, 80k rounds later I'm a uspsa top 20 GM, and enjoy beating guys with multi thousand dollar rifles with my cheapo PSA. I think they are very well made, my barrel still looks fine, and I just plain dont have gun malfunctions. My personal experience has been fantastic, and when this gun finally wears out, I'll have another because they are great guns. 

Posted (edited)

I picked up a PSA AR-9 for $550 and put a Holosun 510c on it to run Open 2x4 class. I've run it in two matches this season and it has been impeccably accurate and reliable. I am a JP fan and use a lot of their rifle parts, but for slightly less than 1/3 of the price for a GMR-15, the PSA was the right choice for me! 

Edited by CO3Gunner

Posted (edited)

I would say that I have a PSA9, but it's really just the stripped lower. 

Parts I used:

CMMG lpk

Rise RA-140 trigger 

Taccom adjustable recoil system

Taccom ULW complete upper and BCG

Magpul grip and stock

topped with a Sig Romeo 3

This thing is absolutely reliable, soft shooting and accurate with my 124g Blue bullet load

Edited by Matt1911

On 6/7/2019 at 7:06 PM, josiahbd11 said:

I have a two PSA ar9 lowers. One bone stock with about 1k rounds through it, another that is all PSA minus trigger, rail, buffer,  and comp. I run hiperfire triggers. Anyways, 80k rounds later I'm a uspsa top 20 GM, and enjoy beating guys with multi thousand dollar rifles with my cheapo PSA. I think they are very well made, my barrel still looks fine, and I just plain dont have gun malfunctions. My personal experience has been fantastic, and when this gun finally wears out, I'll have another because they are great guns. 

Looks like once the fees are paid on your June 4th classifier, you made it to the top of the list at 100%.   Congrats.

Though I don't have nearly as many rounds on my PSA AR9 as you, its set up close to the same as yours.  I don't remember the last time I had any gun related failures.

On 6/6/2019 at 12:19 PM, Tampa-XD45 said:

Did you e-file on the ATF website?

I did.  Due to a business trip I'll be sending off my fingerprints tomorrow... but have travel off and on through July.  Probably going to take the upper/lower to get engraved and cerakoted while I wait.  If the approval comes fast enough I'll finish the build and get to the range with it in the last half of July to dial it in, then compete with it in August at a local match.

My other Form 1's were e-file as well, so I'm good with the process.  Sending off the CLEO copy today, in fact.