Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best 9mm dies for new press

Fasthenk65

Going to buy a Hornady LNL for my match ammo (like to hand-prime since sometimes my 650 isn't priming deep enough..) my question:

what are considered to be the best 9mm dies at the moment?

Thank you!

I don't know which are the best dies.  I do know that I use the best Hornady dies along with a Mr. Bulletfeeder exp/funnel and a Lee factory Carbide Crimp die.  I seat and crimp as separate operations. I have zero rejects.

I have tested Dillon, Lee, Mighty Armoury, RCBS and Redding Competition dies and of these ones I would vote for the Redding dies. Nice micro adjuster for seating. Nice sizing die that results in most/all ammo that drops nicely into case gauge etc.

The mighty armoury sizing is ok, but the Redding comes as a set. Brownells sometimes has specials on.

On my Evo I run a mix of all sorts of stuff. Redding, Lee and RCBS :)

Another vote for Redding. Been using for about 2 years on a 550. Loading for 9mm. I have the decap, mic seating and mic crimp. Loads all pass EGW case gauge. Rounds come out looking like factory, no wasp shape, and this includes Glock bulge. Expensive but buy once cry once.

• 2 weeks later...

I started with the hornady dies. Over the years I've settled with this setup due to problems with the hornady! 

Mighty decapping die

Lee sizing die

Lee u die

Lyman type M expander

Redding micro seater

Lee factory crimp die

I'm loading with a M7 so I double up sizing die's due to holding down the shell plate at the swaging and priming station. The U die works well by itself. I've had problems sizing with the hornady sizer. It would sometimes scrape the brass instead of sizing it. That would cause chamber guage problems.  I think it's due to hornady using a coating instead of a true carbide ring for sizing!

Went with the lyman type M expander since I load coated. Works much better than the hornady expander 

I do like the hornady seater but wanted a micrometer die. So I went with the Redding.

Hornady set does not include a crimp only die. So I went with the lee factory crimp. Its inexpensive and works well!

So many people using/recommending the MBF funnel... you guys don't have brass sticking when using the MBF funnel?  Mine in 45 and 9 both sticks every time, super annoying.  I'm just using the standard Dillon powder funnel.

7 hours ago, 78Staff said:

So many people using/recommending the MBF funnel... you guys don't have brass sticking when using the MBF funnel?  Mine in 45 and 9 both sticks every time, super annoying.  I'm just using the standard Dillon powder funnel.

Rick from MBF actually recommends the dillon powder die with an M die on a 1050.

On 5/30/2019 at 1:38 PM, Fasthenk65 said:

Going to buy a Hornady LNL for my match ammo (like to hand-prime since sometimes my 650 isn't priming deep enough..) my question:

Thank you!

FWIW I use Hornady dies with my Lock n Load progressive for 9, 45, and 38/357 and I've never had a problem (except the time a .380 case got mixed in with the 9mm).

I have a Lee Factory Crimp die that I use with .45 because I had a pistol that was finicky about the crimp on SWC loads, so I use it out of habit.

On 6/14/2019 at 8:36 AM, echotango said:

Rick from MBF actually recommends the dillon powder die with an M die on a 1050.

Yeah essentially unless something is mis-configured a 1050 really shouldn't need the MBF Powder die tbh.  Less flare is better I've found, it's the weight of the bullet stack seating the bullet, not the amount of flare.  Too much flare actually will cause more bobble.

I run the same as this except dillon seating die on my 650.

On 6/13/2019 at 5:14 PM, PewPewJohnson87 said:

My 650 is a Frankenstein when it comes to dies.

Stations

1- LEE "U" die

2- Dillon powder drop W/Mr. Bullet feeder funnel

3- Mr. Bullet feeder drop

4- LEE Bullet seating Die

5- Dillon Crimp Die

I have used multiple die manufactures (Hornady, Lee, Redding, Forster, Dillion) and they all were the same. Never had a problem and produced good bullets.

This being said, just pick one and go forth in making Ammo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use the Hornady New Dimension Dies. The sizing deprimer works good, it sizes down well but the decapping pin can sometimes be off center so when you set it up be sure that its in the middle. Ive never had it scrape brass. It actually makes it shinier once its sized. DAA bullet feed die is the best Ive found if you are using a bulllet feeder. 

I was using the Hornady PTX and hd to polish it to a mirror to eliminate 80% of the sticking. I have to apply one shot to the PTX every 2-3 hundred rounds to keep it smooth. I just spray some on a q-tip and apply it that way and let it dry. I just ordere the DAA PTX so we will see how that goes. 

The seat and crimp die works good too. Just have to follow the setup directions. I measure my completed rounds of the ogive as bullet lengths vary quite a bit to get a more accurate COL measurement so a micrometer seating isnt necessary for me. 

Edited by Bmeehan19

So far the responses have been... predictable. I also use mixed dies for most loading. For 9mm I use a Pacific carbide sizer, an old one. I use it because it's a really tight sizing die, and since it was made before progressive presses came on the scene it doesn't have the generous bevel at the entry that leaves an unsized bulge at the cases base. It sizes all the way down to the shell holder. Did I mention it's really tight? My second die is a Dillon expander die for use with my Dillon 9mm funnel. I polished the heck out of the funnel to smooth it out & reduce sticking with my wet-tumbled brass. The seating die is Hornady New Dimension, and it used only for seating. Crimping is done at the last station with a Dillon taper crimp die. Most of my die arrays on my 550 Dillon are mixed as well.

I use the lee die set with the exception of the first die being a Mighty Armory 9mm die.. and then the roll sizer powder drop funnel for the charge on a 1050. just started testing out the MA bullet die, seems to work great so far. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have had less than desired results with my MA 9MM sizer.  The MA de-cappers are great.  MA just raised their prices quite a bit, so if I were buying a new set, I would buy the Redding dies.  I have used Dillon, Hornady, Lyman, Lee and RCBS.  Reddings are more money, but  you will not be disappointed.  If Reddings are too much, I have had good luck with Hornady dies.  

• 9 months later...

Thank you!

i use Lee on my dillion..