Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Confused newbie

Convergence of overtime, selling personal effects, and stress - I've got about 5k to spend on a single gun. I also basically stole a Leupold Delta Point from a buddy - zero rounds through it, no box, 250$. He mounted it to a Walther but never shot it.

Only pistol I have right now is a Hi Power.

I'd like to try USPSA, I'd like to try optic shooting. What category does that mean? And what guns should I rent?

I have always loved heavy steel guns, like the Shadows and 2011s, but aren't there total weight limits and doesn't an optic mean CO or open, only? I have always wanted a 2011, but think it would be a waste of money?

Is there power factor in open? Would you still want a .40 to be competitive? Would it be stupid to try shooting that for fun, or with a 9mm?

My friend shoots what he calls falling steel, would an open gun be allowed at something like that?

I have considered buying a shadow 2, or a glock, and just having 1 slide for irons and 1 slide for optics. s#!t tier idea? The Shadow seems like it would be redundant with the hi power, except better in every way? Also Shadow 2 is crazy expensive, I do like the Shadow 2 Orange, but doubt it could be milled. And people say you need to spend a lot on glocks to get them 'good for competition', which intimidates me.

Even if I decided to go stupid and do a 2011, how could I even try one to make sure it fits me? I do not see any rentals near me.

Basically I am trying to figure out what to do with the delta point, because I have bought it. And I have too much 'fun money' so I am having analysis paralysis and have way, way, too many options.

19 minutes ago, Woodsparrow said:

Convergence of overtime, selling personal effects, and stress - I've got about 5k to spend on a single gun. I also basically stole a Leupold Delta Point from a buddy - zero rounds through it, no box, 250$. He mounted it to a Walther but never shot it.

I'd like to try USPSA, I'd like to try optic shooting. What category does that mean? And what guns should I rent?

I have always loved heavy steel guns, like the Shadows and 2011s, but aren't there total weight limits and doesn't an optic mean CO or open, only? I have always wanted a 2011, but think it would be a waste of money?

Is there power factor in open? Would you still want a .40 to be competitive? Would it be stupid to try shooting that for fun, or with a 9mm?

My friend shoots what he calls falling steel, would an open gun be allowed at something like that?

I have considered buying a shadow 2, or a glock, and just having 1 slide for irons and 1 slide for optics. s#!t tier idea? The Shadow seems like it would be redundant with the hi power, except better in every way? Also Shadow 2 is crazy expensive, I do like the Shadow 2 Orange, but doubt it could be milled. And people say you need to spend a lot on glocks to get them 'good for competition', which intimidates me.

Even if I decided to go stupid and do a 2011, how could I even try one to make sure it fits me? I do not see any rentals near me.

Basically I am trying to figure out what to do with the delta point, because I have bought it. And I have too much 'fun money' so I am having analysis paralysis and have way, way, too many options.

Yeah. You're asking a lot of questions. 

Decide what you want to shoot. Falling steel or USPSA. Open, limited or carry optics?

Glocks are not difficult or expensive to get competition ready. Probably the cheapest and easiest gun to work on. So, I'd say whoever told you that is probably not the best person to go to for advice. 

No need to jump in and spend all your fun money right out of the gate. You're very likely to change your mind a time or two. 

The shadow 2 is awesome.  The 2011 platform is as well! There's nothing wrong with Glocks or Walthers either. 

From the questions you've asked, I'd recommend starting out in carry optics. I recommend an optics ready version of a Glock, Sig P320, CZ P-10 or the Walther Q5. 

Now, if you realy think you're wanting to go 2011 for open and/or limited, the Phoenix Trinity Honcho is what I'd get. It's literally set up for open major. Open minor and limited. It'll cost your $1000 more than what you got set aside for the gun, and you'll have to spend a good chunk more getting mags and gear but it'd be awesome. I can't see why anyone would spend 5k+ on a gun that only shoots open or limited now that the Hancho is out. 

But like I said, you might hold off on going all in and getting your feet wet with a cheaper set up. 

An $800 set up and $2,000 in ammo and practice/classes is gonna be way more beneficial than an $2,800+ gun!  

Good luck. 

Edited by B_RAD

I'm 1001% asking a lot of questions, I'm super confused.

Could you explain how the Honcho shoots three categories? I thought it really only fit in one at a time?

I don't think I can afford to spend 6k on this at this time though.

2 minutes ago, Woodsparrow said:

I'm 1001% asking a lot of questions, I'm super confused.

Could you explain how the Honcho shoots three categories? I thought it really only fit in one at a time?

I don't think I can afford to spend 6k on this at this time though.

Very crude explanation, it has 4 interchangeable barrels that are different claibers.  You can mount/remove an optic, rear sights and a slide racker. 

So it will shoot

.38 SC (open)

9major (open)

9minor (steel/3gun)

.40 we (limited)

This really blows my mind when I think about what I've spent on a gun that only shoots open or one that will only shoot limited. 

They also have a 3 gun version that doesn't have all the barrels. It's $5k. Not sure what it comes with. I'm referring to thier race ready package. 

4 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

Very crude explanation, it has 4 interchangeable barrels that are different claibers.  You can mount/remove an optic, rear sights and a slide racker. 

So it will shoot

.38 SC (open)

9major (open)

9minor (steel/3gun)

.40 we (limited)

This really blows my mind when I think about what I've spent on a gun that only shoots open or one that will only shoot limited. 

They also have a 3 gun version that doesn't have all the barrels. It's $5k. Not sure what it comes with. I'm referring to thier race ready package. 

Oh, OK. That makes sense. I think it is still more than I want to spend. I was hoping to have enough money left to buy a holster and magazines, etc.  Not to spend every penny, then add 1000$, then have to buy 1000$ worth of magazines too.

13 minutes ago, Woodsparrow said:

Oh, OK. That makes sense. I think it is still more than I want to spend. I was hoping to have enough money left to buy a holster and magazines, etc.  Not to spend every penny, then add 1000$, then have to buy 1000$ worth of magazines too.

I hear you. It's a lot. 

If you don't want to spend several thousand and you want to shoot an optic Carry Optics becomes your only option quickly.

A Shadow 2 out of the box does not work for CO, it needs substantial milling, which adds to the cost you already appear to find objectionable.

So under a grand for the gun you find mostly the polymer striker guns. Canik is probably lowest price, S&W, CZ, and Glock in the middle, Sig and Walther toward the top, find the full-size one that feels good to you. Don't think Sig currently accommodates a DPP, so you'd have to have a non RX milled, the others (not sure about CZ) can be had optics ready.

Another option, significantly less money than a Shadow 2 would be having a CZ SP-01 milled, it's not the new hotness, but works very well.

42 minutes ago, Beef15 said:

If you don't want to spend several thousand and you want to shoot an optic Carry Optics becomes your only option quickly.

A Shadow 2 out of the box does not work for CO, it needs substantial milling, which adds to the cost you already appear to find objectionable.

So under a grand for the gun you find mostly the polymer striker guns. Canik is probably lowest price, S&W, CZ, and Glock in the middle, Sig and Walther toward the top, find the full-size one that feels good to you. Don't think Sig currently accommodates a DPP, so you'd have to have a non RX milled, the others (not sure about CZ) can be had optics ready.

Another option, significantly less money than a Shadow 2 would be having a CZ SP-01 milled, it's not the new hotness, but works very well.

I do not want to spend 6000 on the gun, before fees. I have up to 5k to spend, but it needs to include holster and magazine, etc.

Willing to spend up to $5k to make use of a "good deal" on an optic sounds like the kind of logic that gets me in trouble with the wife!

Shoot carry optics with a striker gun and save the rest once you get deeper into the sport and know what you want/need.

3 minutes ago, TrackCage said:

Shoot carry optics with a striker gun and save the rest once you get deeper into the sport and know what you want/need.

good advice. i would buy a sig or walther race-ready gun, put the optic on it, and go shoot and learn.

Glock or other plastic gun, rig, dillon & still considerable left over for components.  And I cant believe i am saying this, but I would go with a glock 34 mos.  

2 hours ago, TrackCage said:

Willing to spend up to $5k to make use of a "good deal" on an optic sounds like the kind of logic that gets me in trouble with the wife!

Yeah...

5 hours ago, Woodsparrow said:

I do not want to spend 6000 on the gun, before fees. I have up to 5k to spend, but it needs to include holster and magazine, etc.

You described the Shadow 2 as "crazy expensive" which made it seems as though even with a $5k ceiling you weren't looking to spend that much. If you like it, get it, have it cut and run with it, you'll have plenty left over after the gun and gear.

The Walther steel frame is worth a look too. The gun metal or plastic is not likely to be your limit.

7 hours ago, Woodsparrow said:

I'd like to try USPSA & optic shooting.  

I  love heavy steel guns, 

I am trying to figure out what to do with the delta point, because I have bought it. 

You have a Hi-Power, and a Delta Point.

Leave the DP alone for a few months, and go shoot matches with the HP.

After you've shot a few months worth of matches, you will be able to

answer all your own questions, and still have the DP and the $5,000.     :cheers:

48 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

You have a Hi-Power, and a Delta Point.

Leave the DP alone for a few months, and go shoot matches with the HP.

After you've shot a few months worth of matches, you will be able to

answer all your own questions, and still have the DP and the $5,000.     :cheers:

this^^^^^

I cant count how many new shooters show up with a full rig for their first match and within a few months either decide its not for them or that they want entirely different gear and go back out and spend all their money again.

start with what you have in the matches that interest you , see what others are shooting, ask to try guns you think you may like, almost everyone will be happy to let you try their stuff.

then once you have some actual information start thinking about spending money.

One issue with the HiPower at competitions: they have a mag safety that would require inserting an empty mag into the gun to put the hammer down at the ICHDH command...

37 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

One issue with the HiPower at competitions: they have a mag safety that would require inserting an empty mag into the gun to put the hammer down at the ICHDH command...

that's not a issue its just a thing you have to do.

53 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

You can disable the magazine disconnect on a Hi-Power. Someone else will have to tell if it is legal in USPSA.

Oh...And most definitely shoot what you got, in whatever division it fits. It's possible you may not even like the game.

8 minutes ago, BobT said:

You can disable the magazine disconnect on a Hi-Power. Someone else will have to tell if it is legal in USPSA.

Oh...And most definitely shoot what you got, in whatever division it fits. It's possible you may not even like the game.

A Hi-Power (with or without a mag disconnect) would be legal in Limited or Limited 10.

51 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

that's not a issue its just a thing you have to do.

Its an issue if you get to the end of the COF and don’t have an empty mag on you... 😁

I'm going to be that guy...

Don't bother shooting the Hipower unless you already have a rig for it.  I wouldn't waste money on a holster and pouches because you know and we know you're not going to end up shooting that thing in matches long term.

Here's how I'd do it...

1- Decide what division you want to shoot

2 -Go to a match, beg to feel as many other people's guns as you can. See if the answer to this step changes your answer to the first step. If not, 

3- Buy one, 10,000 rounds of ammo, and a full day practical shooting class with a well known trainer, or at the very least, your local hot shot. If you let us know where you live I'm sure we can recommend someone.

get a glock mos in 17 or 34 and shoot carry optics.  tons of accessories for glocks (holsters, mag pouches, mags, trigger work etc) out there, lots of options.  that will set you up for uspsa, idpa, falling steel, steel challenge and even 2 & 3 gun.  you can be all decked out (holster, belt, pouches, buncha mags, etc) for well under $1k.  have fun with that for a year or more and while doing that, ask everyone at matches to fondle and shoot their guns and then you'll have $4k to spend on your next gun.