Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA PCC Start Positions to Practice

I just picked up a PCC and I intend to shoot it in USPSA occasionally.   If you were going to start practicing for USPSA Pistol, I'd practice a normal draw, a surrender draw, a weak and strong hand draw as well as a turn and draw with hands at sides and surrender.   I'd probably do some kind of table start.

For PCC, I think I need some kind of low ready strong and weak shoulder, a buttstock touching belt to strong and weak some kind of port arms and a table start.   Am I missing something?

Just now, rowdyb said:

Cool! I'll trust your answer, thank you.

8.2.4.1 A course of fire must never require a competitor to start with the carbine held on the weak side, and stage briefings may never require the PCC to be fired using only one hand.

This would seem to indicate no...

5 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

It just can't be required by the WSB. (8.2.4.1) 😉

I think you're right. Can't be required to but the shooter can *choose* to if they think it will give them an advantage.

4 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

8.2.4.1 A course of fire must never require a competitor to start with the carbine held on the weak side, and stage briefings may never require the PCC to be fired using only one hand.

This would seem to indicate no...

That just says it can't be required. It doesn't say you can't start weak side. Having done it more than once at level 3 matches, I am going to stick with my answer. 😉

Well, for my personal style I rarely ever choose to start weak side. So I won't add it in as much as I was going to. If I can't be forced to start weak side I probably would only choose that 1 out of 100 times.

Edited by rowdyb

59 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Well, for my personal style I rarely ever choose to start weak side. So I won't add it in as much as I was going to. If I can't be forced to start weak side I probably would only choose that 1 out of 100 times.

Concur. The only real need is to try it a few times to see if there is anything weird about it. In my case, I use a single-sided safety so I need to bump it off with the palm of my weak hand on the "draw". Time is probably better spend practicing hard leans in your weak side direction and reloads followed by transitions to the weak side.

I RO’d a handful of shooters this past weekend (JP Midwest PCC Championship) who chose to start weak shoulder. My stage had a decent left lean to a far target a few steps from the start position, so some shooters chose to start there and come back towards the start for a pair of targets they’d bypassed. Most people, if they switched shoulders, did so while moving to that position after engaging 2-3 targets from the strong shoulder. 

All the lefties, of course, were just smiling as they shot the whole thing without switching shoulders.

I've been shooting local matches for 3 years with a PCC.  Almost all starts have been with butt stock on belt, a few low ready and occasionally, if pistols start "Hands on Xs", PCC starts muzzle on X.  That's what I would practice.  

I would also consider adding a little bit of variation sometimes by doing both gun shouldered and stock on belt with the muzzle pointing not in the direction of a target (say, muzzle straight downrange while the target is off to one side). You’ll occasionally see “stock on belt, muzzle pointed at mark on wall” and similar at major matches, although most stages are usually “stock on belt, muzzle pointed downrange”

• 2 months later...

Yesterday, two stages with unloaded start. One had a gun held in weak hand, stock of belt, strong hand raised above shoulder.

Also mag changes.  Watched a guy do a mag change, inserted it, move the hand to the stock, next shot the mag fell out of the gun.