Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range Shade- It's HOT in GA!!

I've been thinking about options for shade on the home range. The canopies seem nice, but some seem overpriced for the quality. Also 1 person setup would be ideal, and the main goal is to have something that can stay up year round. The canopies don't fall into either category it seems. I was looking at large patio umbrellas. Home depot sells one that is held in place with a sandbag. Seems promising.

What is everyone using to stay out of the sun and stay cool this summer on the range?

We use carports on our range. We have wired them for electricity and installed fans to fight the Alabama heat. You can find used carports on Craigslist for cheap if you are willing to tear down and put up yourself.

On 5/29/2019 at 9:46 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

I used to use 10' x 10' tents - take a few minutes to put up or take down.    :) 

I was thinking that would be the easiest option, but for under $100 I'm not sure I would trust ones durability to remain outside in the weather. I have no need to take it down after shooting. 

On 5/30/2019 at 3:37 PM, belus said:

Not suitable as a long-term range improvement, but I've mounted this beach umbrella to my Creedmoor service rifle stool / cart. It works in a pinch if you're looking for some personal shade and can travel with you to other matches.
https://www.amazon.com/Sport-Brella-Versa-Brella-Midnight-Blue-Universal/dp/B01KVX3192/

Nice for a match but I want something larger that I can put up and never worry about. The idea about a used carport was good.