Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Shooters ! Beware of those bearing loaners !

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2019 at 12:31 PM, GOF said:

I realize that was a "tongue in cheek" post. But it does illustrate one of the many benefits to competitive shooting.... ya get to play with a lot of stuff for free... and ya might get to find something you like better than what ya brung. Happens all the time.

That is the problem - it is never  "free" 

This is the reason I just spent 2 grand on a PCC set up I never even knew I wanted or needed.

I had been living in blissful ignorance, but then those horrible word - " hey you wanna try this ? "

Sigh

• 2 weeks later...

Love this forum… and thanks guys for sharing! We're all "addict's" here. I too got hooked at a match with a loaner... A couple years ago, I thought I was doing great with my finely tuned XdM [until it broke down] and a great friend and semi pro handed me his mega buck 2011. OMG ! instantly I had an understanding about why all my shooting buddies were asking why I didn't have a 1911 or 2011... I put everything up for sale the next day on a quest for my first STI ! 

It's fun learning what you don't know, or didn't think you needed to.... We're all competitors, whether it's to be our personal best or reach the top of the leader board. I know guy's that bowl who have special balls for certain events, and golfers... they are worse than us; buying a club a weak... We've all got our reasons for acquiring another popper, a least we are acquiring valuable skills while having fun ! (can't imagine taking out an intruder with a bowler or a putter).😉

• 4 months later...
On 7/12/2019 at 8:43 AM, admcd said:

Every time an open gun goes up for sale on one of the other forms the guys at my club frequent I keep getting text messages with links to it. 

For some reason, I always read them in Towlie's voice some South Park.  "Hey, kid! Wanna buy an open gun?"

Shot an open gun on Christmas Eve.

I need an open gun.

I'll also need a divorce lawyer because the wife is gonna leave me.

Oh, well.  At least I'll have more time to shoot.

I am interested to hear what you will say if you shoot a Sig P210 or a TSO, or a ... 

When you buy them (not it), then you will start to upgrade parts.

There is no end to this road.

Edited by Sean_ht

• 2 weeks later...

I learned the lesson about not touching other people's guns a LONG time ago. ;)

That said, I was on the other side of it at a steel challenge match last year. It was the first one I EVER shot (I have shot USPSA for the last few years, and 3 gun before that). It was my kid's first competition of any sort. And due to the easier and safer manipulation of a long gun, the amount of stages, and ammo costs, I decided we were BOTH shooting rimfire rifle. One of the guys I RO USPSA with was in my squad RO'ing with me and had his gun go down on the first stage. I talked him into trying out the rimfire rifle for the rest of the match (I was unsure of how much shooting I'd be doing, given it was my kid's first match and I wanted to babysit [turns out it was mostly unneccessary]). After the match, the loanee shook my hand vigorously and thanked me profusely. Said he hadn't actually enjoyed Steel Challenge in a long time, but he loved the rimfire rifle and shooting mine motivated him to get his put together.

So as much as I think the old-timers like to mess with people and talk them into buying new guns, I also think a small part of it stokes their happiness.

On 12/31/2019 at 8:50 AM, Sean_ht said:

I am interested to hear what you will say if you shoot a Sig P210 or a TSO, or a ... 

When you buy them (not it), then you will start to upgrade parts.

There is no end to this road.

The TSO, yes, I want.
The 210- meh. I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be.