Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Shooters ! Beware of those bearing loaners !

To my fellow new shooters, 

When you're at the range and someone innocently hands you a handgun and tells you to shoot it, DO NOT FALL FOR IT ! Don't touch the gun. Don't even look at it. Avert your eyes ! No good could possibly come from it!

In my case, I was minding my own business, quite content to work with my EDC, a Glock 43. I was just working on target acquisition and shooting craptacularly. I could not get my grip working. 

Then, a gentleman asked if I'd shot a Glock 34 Gen 5 yet. I looked disgusted and told him no. I had no desire. Im too old to be playing with those fancy IDPA/USPSA guns.

He insisted and handed me the weapon and a magazine. I popped the mag in, picked a clean spot on the target,  and pulled the trigger 10 times at a somewhat casual pace. 

And this happened.

I am NOT a shooter. Not by a long shot. 

So yeah, I went home with one. The guy was like a dope dealer but for 34's. 

And forget about the 34 for a minute. If anyone ever......EVER tries to hand you a race gun, SLAP THEIR FACE ! It will cost you far more than a Glock.

Personally, I think the Vet guys do it on purpose. ;)

IMG_3629.jpg

I realize that was a "tongue in cheek" post. But it does illustrate one of the many benefits to competitive shooting.... ya get to play with a lot of stuff for free... and ya might get to find something you like better than what ya brung. Happens all the time.

15 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

that's funny that you shot a glock, and every shot is like 12" low left.

20 minutes ago, GOF said:

I realize that was a "tongue in cheek" post. But it does illustrate one of the many benefits to competitive shooting.... ya get to play with a lot of stuff for free... and ya might get to find something you like better than what ya brung. Happens all the time.

I was absolutely making fun of myself!

And I agree wholeheartedly. It’s awesome that there are so many people willing to share !

1 hour ago, Zoomie517 said:

picked a clean spot on the target,  and pulled the trigger 10 times at a somewhat casual pace. 

And this happened.

I am NOT a shooter. Not by a long shot. 

IMG_3629.jpg

1 hour ago, motosapiens said:

that's funny that you shot a glock, and every shot is like 12" low left.

Moto, we need to find your reading teacher and slap her

4 hours ago, TalkingMonkey said:

This is exactly why I declined to borrow a friend's 2011 when he was out with an injury and offered it to me to use last season.  The last time I demoed someone else's gun at a practice session, I ended up buying two Glock 34s!

This is exactly where I’m at. One 34 in the range bag and letting a few things go to fund another. 

Never saw it coming! 😂

Wait until you attend a match and forget a key item (Gun, Ammo, Shooting Belt, Magazines, Sandwich, etc) and your fellow competitors will go out of their way to help you out. Personally I bring twice as much ammo and double the magazines I really need just for that exact situation. It allows me to help others out in a pinch without putting myself into a bind. I also find it funny the "Backup gun" I bring to major matches has been used more by others in need than I have used it at major matches. Hopefully I have paid it forward enough over the years that someone will come to my rescue when I need it at a match.  

6 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

Wait until you attend a match and forget a key item (Gun, Ammo, Shooting Belt, Magazines, Sandwich, etc) and your fellow competitors will go out of their way to help you out. Personally I bring twice as much ammo and double the magazines I really need just for that exact situation. It allows me to help others out in a pinch without putting myself into a bind. I also find it funny the "Backup gun" I bring to major matches has been used more by others in need than I have used it at major matches. Hopefully I have paid it forward enough over the years that someone will come to my rescue when I need it at a match.  

You sir, are awesome!

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/30/2019 at 10:56 AM, CHA-LEE said:

This is why I love this sport, so many people in the sport that will bend over backwards to help you out if you truly need it!

Just last weekend a guy showed up but forgot his ammo and 2 or 3 guys offered up enough for him to shoot if he wanted. 

Congrats on on the new 34 though. 

On 6/18/2019 at 6:47 AM, Th3Un4givin said:

This is why I love this sport, so many people in the sport that will bend over backwards to help you out if you truly need it!

Just last weekend a guy showed up but forgot his ammo and 2 or 3 guys offered up enough for him to shoot if he wanted. 

Congrats on on the new 34 though. 

One of the guys I shoot with drove several hours to go to Area 8 last year, and managed to remember to bring all of his gear except his gun.  Fortunately, a friendly vendor (Atlas, I believe) loaned him a Titan for the match.  He promptly DQed on the first stage!  However, that was very nice of Atlas to lend him a gun!

He ended up buying a Titan.

I ran a 5k run and gun with a buddy. He shot a glock 22 and I shot a cz phantom. He doesn't math very well and asked what the pistol total shot count would need to be. I told him I was taking 4 mags giving me 80 rds total. He needed 66 rounds and translated that to 4 mags for him at 15 rds each. Well he ran out and we both shot the last stage with my pistol. He fell in love with my cajuned phantom and went out and bought a shadow 2 to one up me. He was a dead set glock guy.

Edited by Joedirt199

Now that's weird. I show up with a revo for the match. Guys look at it and say, "Wow. You reload a lot!"

Then I am above them in the standings. (Not all, but most usually)

And next month they all show up with...

Autos.

Strange huh?

Zoomie517 I hear yah I took a shooting class and fell in love with a STI Eagle Dawson Fast Six and a little over a year later ended up owning it. Somehow it is a addiction because I ended up with a total of three Eagles within a one year timeline. Two 6” guns and a 5”. 

• 3 weeks later...

Every time an open gun goes up for sale on one of the other forms the guys at my club frequent I keep getting text messages with links to it. 

For some reason, I always read them in Towlie's voice some South Park.  "Hey, kid! Wanna buy an open gun?"