Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.22 rifle optic

STInky

Hi all....Recently shot my first SC .22 match and I’m in the process of building a new rifle.    I know c-mores are popular choices for red dots, but I was wondering if anyone uses an Eotech.   I was thinking the circle-dot reticle could be fast for steel.   

I guess it depends upon how fast you see the different types of reticles. I'm only an upper A Class RFRO shooter, but I shoot with a bunch of G and Ms. C-More is popular, so are the lesser-priced SIG ROMEO1 (I use the 6 MOA model) or even the Burris FFIII. I have never seen a circular reticle sight on the range (I'm also a RO). I feel the single dot (6 to 8 MOA) gives ME the best sight picture when I'm trying to run plates fast. I tend to think the circular reticle would be a bit "busy"... for ME... when all I need to see is a single dot. The toughest target in SCSA is a 10-inch plate at about 18-yards. A dot works well for me.YMMV

• 2 weeks later...

CMORE is the brightest and most affordable. Also you can switch dot size if your preferences change. I've been shooting an 8moa and recently have wanted to experiment with a 12moa.  Also they are hardy/reliable. Also they support the sport by sponsorship more than any other optic manufacturer, except maybe Sig. 

What kind of gun are you using? 

My advice. Get the CMORE and an allchin mount if they have one that will fit your gun. That's what I have ran for 3 years on my 22/45. Only issue is sometimes the gun gets hot and oil over time will cause the tiny screws on the mount to work loose. Gobs of blue loctite helps.

Edit: Welcome to SC! It's addictive and some of the most challenging shooting in my opinion. Have fun.

Edited by ezra650

38 minutes ago, ezra650 said:

CMORE is the brightest and most affordable. Also you can switch dot size if your preferences change. I've been shooting an 8moa and recently have wanted to experiment with a 12moa.  Also they are hardy/reliable. Also they support the sport by sponsorship more than any other optic manufacturer, except maybe Sig. 

What kind of gun are you using? 

My advice. Get the CMORE and an allchin mount if they have one that will fit your gun. That's what I have ran for 3 years on my 22/45. Only issue is sometimes the gun gets hot and oil over time will cause the tiny screws on the mount to work loose. Gobs of blue loctite helps.

Edit: Welcome to SC! It's addictive and some of the most challenging shooting in my opinion. Have fun.

I’m looking at a Ruger 10/22 Target Lite.  

20 minutes ago, STInky said:

Nice! I'm also in the process of building a 10/22. Instead of spending $500 on the lite I picked up a 10/22 used on the local private market for $150

Here is my build wish list:

Axiom Blackhawk Stock: $70

Volquartsen Carbon Fiber Barrel: $270

CMORE and allchin mount: I'll have $180 in this setup

Kidd Trigger: $200

Total: $870

I plan to shoot the gun with the stock barrel for some time. The barrel will be the last upgrade. The above build list with a BX trigger/housing weighs in at 3lbs and 10oz total gun weight.

If you aren't crazy about upgrading and shaving gun weight then the Target Lite is a good option and one I almost took. A friend of mine got one, but now he has the VQ barrel installed anyway haha. 

On 6/11/2019 at 11:43 AM, STInky said:

I’m shooting a Target Lite and found the CMore with the Allchin mount to be just right for me. Tried the rail mount first but the optic was sitting higher than I wanted. Allchin put the dot right where I wanted it coming up from low ready. 

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot a T/C R22.  I removed the rear peep and front fiber optic sight.  I installed a TK Game Changer Pro Comp and mounted a C-More 6MOA railway.  For the $ the R22 seems like a very fine gun for RFRO div.  I've never had a malfunction yet in hundreds and hundreds of rounds.  For matches I shoot CCI AR Tactical ammo.  

Striplin super lightweight mount on Ruger 10/22 with c-more and  8 MOA; 

https://striplincustom.com/collections/our-products/products/10-22-90-degree-c-more-mount

+1 on Kidd single stage trigger

+1 on Kidd ultra lightweight barrel  https://www.kiddinnovativedesign.com/Ultra-Lightweight-Rifle_c_26.html

+1 on Axiom stock;

I shoot a Ruger 10/22 with a clark custom gun trigger job, volquartsen firing pin, extractor, and extended bolt handle, hogue stock, C-More 8MOA mounted on the rail that came with the gun. Gun is very fast and reliable- clean/lubricate it after every match. It is not the arrow but the Indian that wins.

• 1 month later...

Just received the Sig Romeo 3XL.  The glass is 35mm across with 3 MOA dot (adjustable intensity) which I prefer for those 10" plates.  Built this from scratch and focused on light weight.  Tactical Innovations Elite22LC receiver (left charging handle and bolt), ModShot stock, Volquartsen UltraLight barrel and TG2000 trigger group, Smoke Composites carbon fiber grip.  Total weight (unloaded) 3.6 pounds.

Will report back as it was just mounted yesterday (Friday) and going to a match on Monday.

BC

ModShot1.jpg

ModShot2.jpg

ModShot3.jpg

ModShot4.jpg

Edited by BillChunn
added parts list