Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry optics 34.5, recoil springs and 9mm loads

nick779

Im currently testing a few different loads from different commercial reloaders to see what works best for me. Im split between 124gr and 147gr. 

As I test things around with double taps and double tap timing I keep thinking that 124gr is the way to go. 

On my Gen 5 with a DPP and a TTI spring kit, a 13# ISMI spring is as light as im comfortable going for reliable lockup. That cycles the 124s and 147s fine and gives me pretty good timing with double taps. The 124s will cycle with a 15#, but the 147s will not. Im wondering if its worth sticking with the 147s for no perceivable reduction in recoil and less tuning headroom for recoil springs. 

Im just curious what everyone else does here with their glock setups. Especially gen 5s with a slideride optic. 

Not to derail this but since its carry optics and about recoil springs maybe someone can answer a similar question. With carry optics, wouldn't you want to go with a heavier recoil spring? Wouldn't you want to " short stroke " the slide so to speak like in PCC. So wouldn't running a heavier spring weight, say a 17 or 20 pound give you less dot movement? Help me out here.

1 hour ago, B_RAD said:

What are you doing with this gun?

USPSA Carry Optics

1 hour ago, luxor said:

Not to derail this but since its carry optics and about recoil springs maybe someone can answer a similar question. With carry optics, wouldn't you want to go with a heavier recoil spring? Wouldn't you want to " short stroke " the slide so to speak like in PCC. So wouldn't running a heavier spring weight, say a 17 or 20 pound give you less dot movement? Help me out here.

min PF loaded 147s wont cycle on a 15# spring let alone the factory 17#

Edit, I completely overlooked the other thread in this forum. I was more asking if it made sense to stick with 124gr loads since I dont have as many spring options with the 147s.

Edited by nick779

14 minutes ago, nick779 said:

USPSA Carry Optics

min PF loaded 147s wont cycle on a 15# spring let alone the factory 17#

Edit, I completely overlooked the other thread in this forum. I was more asking if it made sense to stick with 124gr loads since I dont have as many spring options with the 147s.

Maybe I'm missing something?

My gen 5 34 will shoot 147 gr with a 13 lb recoil spring. I'm using an uncaptured tungsten.  

As far as which to use, I'd say use what you like better, as long as it works. 

I don't feel it matters or that 147 are flatter or whatever campared to 124's. 

I shot both side by side this weekend. I can't feel much of a difference. 

As for double taps, a lot more than bullet and spring weights come into play. I say that because some think it’s all about bullets. When it’s probably more about technique. 

36 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

Maybe I'm missing something?

My gen 5 34 will shoot 147 gr with a 13 lb recoil spring. I'm using an uncaptured tungsten.  

As far as which to use, I'd say use what you like better, as long as it works. 

I don't feel it matters or that 147 are flatter or whatever campared to 124's. 

I shot both side by side this weekend. I can't feel much of a difference. 

As for double taps, a lot more than bullet and spring weights come into play. I say that because some think it’s all about bullets. When it’s probably more about technique. 

I need some more range time to make a decision on the load. Ive ran 124s since I started a year ago, and subjectively I see little difference between them and the 147s. 

I know that its mostly technique and timing, I was asking more if it was worth it running the 147s at the edge of spring weights that I can use. 

With the 11lb spring and double diamond tungsten rod/adapter, I fail the vertical lockup test with my DPP and 4.5# striker spring.

28 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

my gen 5 34 shoots 147's with the completely stock recoil set up. And with 14 and 13 pound springs.

Do you have an optic?

8 minutes ago, nick779 said:

I need some more range time to make a decision on the load. Ive ran 124s since I started a year ago, and subjectively I see little difference between them and the 147s

I know that its mostly technique and timing, I was asking more if it was worth it running the 147s at the edge of spring weights that I can use. 

With the 11lb spring and double diamond tungsten rod/adapter, I fail the vertical lockup test with my DPP and 4.5# striker spring.

I’m running the exact same setup. I too couldn’t get the lockup I wanted with an 11 lb ismi spring. I’m using a 13 lb now. 

I personally don't think there's any benefit of 147's over.124's. 

I was able to get .15-.18 splits at 10 Yds with all A's. 

3 hours ago, luxor said:

Not really, the heavier the slide/barrel combo the lighter the springs needed.  Adding a dot increases slide weight by how much depends on the dot.

On the OP, what striker spring are you running?  May need to go lighter as you lighten the recoil spring.  I'm running a 13# ISMI and a Tungsten Guide Rod for a Gen 3 and the adaptor to fit the MOS Gen 4.  I also run a lightened striker and a very light striker spring (<3# pull).  I can run an 11# recoil spring with no issues.  But with a stock striker spring the lock up is light.  Try this, when you partially pull the trigger does the slide move?  If it does you need a heavier recoil spring or a lighter striker spring.

As for bullet weight I tend to go with what's most accurate.  Right now I'm partial to 124 JHP MG, the 145 RN coated Acme's are just a shade less accurate.  Recoil doesn't seem much different.  

Edited by pskys2

2 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Not really, the heavier the slide/barrel combo the lighter the springs needed.  Adding a dot increases slide weight by how much depends on the dot.

On the OP, what striker spring are you running?  May need to go lighter as you lighten the recoil spring.  I'm running a 13# ISMI and a Tungsten Guide Rod for a Gen 3 and the adaptor to fit the MOS Gen 4.  I also run a lightened striker and a very light striker spring (<3# pull).  I can run an 11# recoil spring with no issues.  But with a stock striker spring the lock up is light.  Try this, when you partially pull the trigger does the slide move?  If it does you need a heavier recoil spring or a lighter striker spring.

As for bullet weight I tend to go with what's most accurate.  Right now I'm partial to 124 JHP MG, the 145 RN coated Acme's are just a shade less accurate.  Recoil doesn't seem much different.  

Pre gen 5 are different. So what works with them is irrelevant. 

15 hours ago, B_RAD said:

I’m running the exact same setup. I too couldn’t get the lockup I wanted with an 11 lb ismi spring. I’m using a 13 lb now. 

I personally don't think there's any benefit of 147's over.124's. 

I was able to get .15-.18 splits at 10 Yds with all A's. 

Thats good to know. 124s are $15 cheaper a 1000 too from my vendor haha. I still need to play around with it, but its good to know that its possible. I know I need practice.

21 hours ago, B_RAD said:

Pre gen 5 are different. So what works with them is irrelevant. 

Not really the principles are the same and  you can now get at https://www.glockstore.com/competition/guide-rods?_ga=2.35990048.1866067394.1559155634-1044580643.1559155634 different weight springs non-captured ss and tungsten guide rods (actually just found this too) for the Gen 5.  Looks like it uses the same adaptor as for using Gen 1-3 guide rods in a Gen 4.  I'll have to see if the one I have on my Gen 4 MOS will fit the slide on my Gen 5 g19.

Edited by pskys2

1 hour ago, pskys2 said:

Not really the principles are the same and  you can now get at https://www.glockstore.com/competition/guide-rods?_ga=2.35990048.1866067394.1559155634-1044580643.1559155634 different weight springs non-captured ss and tungsten guide rods (actually just found this too) for the Gen 5.  Looks like it uses the same adaptor as for using Gen 1-3 guide rods in a Gen 4.  I'll have to see if the one I have on my Gen 4 MOS will fit the slide on my Gen 5 g19.

I was referring to an 11# ismi doesn't seem to work on the Gen 5 guns. The distance from the barrel to the end of the slide is longer and there's less preload compression. So the Gen 5 don't seem to lock up.