Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Target order for 06-03 Can You Count

CoyoteMW

The written stage briefing for Classifier 06-03, “Can You Count,” appears to require the targets to be shot in numerical order:

”String 1: Engage T1 with 5 rounds only, perform a mandatory reload and engage T2 with 5 rounds only.

String 2: Engage T3 with 5 rounds only, perform a mandatory reload and engage T4 with 5 rounds only.”

There is nothing in that briefing about being free to engage the targets in those strings in any order, as there is in briefings for other classifiers.

So if a shooter engages T2 first, then T1, is that a procedural for shooting the targets out of order? 

2 minutes ago, jcc7x7 said:

I got a procedural on this.

Arb'd and won based on no competitive advantage.

But it doesn't have the shoot in any order line.

A RM at a match made you arb this despite the line being in the stage diagram? Wow.

It wasn't in the diagram page either? As far as I know it was always in the diagram page (though it looks like it was omitted from the WSB when that was developed).

Did this happen to you at a club match or a level II / III match?

1 hour ago, NickBlasta said:

https://uspsa.org/viewer//06-03.pdf

The confusion probably arises from it not being in the WSB (the second page) but on the stage diagram (the first page).

Not including it is obviously an oversight. However since the WSB is definitive, one could receive a procedural under 10.2.2.

As above, if you have only the WSB and not the diagram, how does anyone determine which target is T1 vs T2?

Since there is an AND in the first string, instead of a THEN,,, whats to prevent a shooter from shooting 5 on T-1, 5 on T-2, getting his time on last shot, and THEN perform the reload.
The second sentence says to do 2 things, I did them. No mention of order.
I mean we are implying the order doesnt matter with the targets simply because one is written first, so why does the reload matter ?

USPSA should clean this up with a little editing: change “and” to “then,” and add “Targets within a string may be shot in any order.”

That is the way this classifier has been run over the years.

1 hour ago, Joe4d said:

Since there is an AND in the first string, instead of a THEN,,, whats to prevent a shooter from shooting 5 on T-1, 5 on T-2, getting his time on last shot, and THEN perform the reload.
The second sentence says to do 2 things, I did them. No mention of order.
I mean we are implying the order doesnt matter with the targets simply because one is written first, so why does the reload matter ?

That's actually pretty funny, the language does imply that it's a list and not an order of operations. Ex, "Engage T1, 2, 3, and 4" is different from "Engage T1, then T2, then T3, then T4"...

There are a lot of other classifiers with such language problems. I wonder if they bothered to pay anyone to proofread them. Hey, I know an English major with some spare time... 🤣