Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coating durability

bigdawgbeav

So, quite by accident, I wet tumbled a couple of live rounds with stainless pins while cleaning range brass. I was surprised to see that a round with the Hi-Tek coating was down to bare lead while a poly coated bullet (from King Shooters in PA) still had most of it's coating. That is saying something. I'm switching back to PC Bullets when my current compliment of Hi-Tek coated ones are gone.69d4f9de6828d4848ad8b05a49da89f8.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, bigdawgbeav said:

So, quite by accident, I wet tumbled a couple of live rounds with stainless pins while cleaning range brass. I was surprised to see that a round with the Hi-Tek coating was down to bare lead while a poly coated bullet (from King Shooters in PA) still had most of it's coating. That is saying something. I'm switching back to PC Bullets when my current compliment of Hi-Tek coated ones are gone.69d4f9de6828d4848ad8b05a49da89f8.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Very interesting, who manufactured the HT one shown?

4 hours ago, 4n2t0 said:

It does say a lot, I think it says that I shouldn't wet tumble completed rounds with SS pins or the coating might come off, lol.

well, no duh!  Really not seeing the benefit either of wet tumbling completed rounds.  But you have to admit that 3 hours of tumbling and the PC Bullets coating still looks good says alot about the Hi-Tek coating...

10 minutes ago, bigdawgbeav said:

well, no duh!  Really not seeing the benefit either of wet tumbling completed rounds.  But you have to admit that 3 hours of tumbling and the PC Bullets coating still looks good says alot about the Hi-Tek coating...

Wet tumbling is not a test of how well the coating holds up when fired through a gun.  The proper test for that is firing it through the gun. If the coating stays on then, that's all that matters. 

I'd hate to see people coming to the wrong conclusion based on how well the coatings hold up when wet tumbling and then make the leap to think it means it will or will not hold up when fired through a gun. It runs the risk of being a spurious correlation. 

Hi-tek is one of my least favorite coatings. It's too smokey. It has a nice scent to it which I actually kind of enjoy. But way too smokey. The bullets I bought coated in it shot clean and accurate. But after 3 shots if the amount of smoke in front of your eyes breaks your subconscious... they are too smokey. 

I'll have to check out King Richards. Id like to shoot my own PC cast bullets but for the cost of 115gr it's worth buying them since I don't have the time to cast nor a 115gr mold. 

i have been using coated bullets for quite a few years .  i have tried many different makers.  one thing i have noticed in the past couple of years is that the HT coating seems to be thinner. this is not just one company, but several.   i wonder if they are trying to save money by coating them just once or trying to coat more bullets with the same amount of material.  

i bought some recently from a place that was mentioned here.  i was disappointed at the bullets as the coating was thin. thin enough for me to scratch off.  i will probably go back to FMJ after these 

Edited by Sandbagger123

On 5/28/2019 at 7:55 PM, Novagunner said:

I’ve pulled blue bullets out of wooden barriers and dirt at practice and the coating looked almost perfect and the bullet deformed. I think I have one laying around that I can post a pic of.

I have also pulled blue bullets from the berm. It is amazing how well that stuff hangs on there.

• 3 weeks later...

If you can scratch hitek off with your finger nail it isn't applied correctly.

I make my own, one of the tests to ensure it is applied correctly is to smash it with a hammer.  

I've tumbled some and the coating has stayed on, some have also had the coating come off. 

20190619_065043.jpg

Edited by dansedgli