Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Optics

HCH

Over the past year, I have been shooting a lot of Carry Optics. One thing that has come up in conversation with older competitors is the thought of running a dot on their Limited guns, as eyesight and such isn’t what it used to be. Most of these guys have shot Limited extensively and are used to their guns, loads, stage breakdown, etc. 

Would it be worthwhile for USPSA to create a “Limited Optics” division? Perhaps it would only be available to seniors? Or maybe allow Seniors and Super Seniors to use a red dot in Limited?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the past year, I have been shooting a lot of Carry Optics. One thing that has come up in conversation with older competitors is the thought of running a dot on their Limited guns, as eyesight and such isn’t what it used to be. Most of these guys have shot Limited extensively and are used to their guns, loads, stage breakdown, etc. 

Would it be worthwhile for USPSA to create a “Limited Optics” division? Perhaps it would only be available to seniors? Or maybe allow Seniors and Super Seniors to use a red dot in Limited?
[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787] it would be considerate but tell them to convert their guns to open guns [emoji58][emoji58][emoji58]

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

emoji1787.pngemoji1787.pngemoji1787.pngemoji1787.png it would be considerate but tell them to convert their guns to open guns emoji58.pngemoji58.pngemoji58.png

Because .40 Open does so well...

And one would then be looking for a mount, dot, barrel, comp, those super common .40 170mm mags that hold less ammo, new loads, and potentially different holsters.... seems like a lot of money for a losing enterprise. 

Edited by HCH

And one would then be looking for a mount, dot, barrel, comp, those super common .40 170mm mags that hold less ammo, new loads, and potentially different holsters.... seems like a lot of money for a losing enterprise. 

So then why are we wasting brain cells talking about a new division for 2% of the uspsa population? [emoji58][emoji58][emoji58] They can't see they have options. When I can't see crap I'll go to cripple optics, open or PCC

A whole lot of the current STI and other 1911 companies offerings are coming with a dot and no comp. This could become a major market trend as well. 

Honestly, at that point, either get an Open gun, or run a slide mounted dot and no comp in Open and get over the fact that your gun isn’t ideal for the division. Or get a gun that fits in Carrying Optics and enjoy cheaper ammo as well. 

Limited guns in .40 with slide mounted dots are infrequent enough that creating yet another division seems unnecessary. 

It is easy to convert a Limited 40 gun to an Open 40 gun.  have a gunsmith or machinist fit a coned comp and either slide mount the dot or frame mount it.  The only disadvantage to 40 Open is a penny more per bullet and three fewer rounds in the mags.  Neither is a big deal.  There are many advantages as well.  MBX 140s and 170s run flawlessly.

I have two 40 Open and two 9mm Open.  My main 40 Open shoots softer and flatter than my main 9mm Open.

They could just put a dot up there, declare 'open' and drive on.   Get a 170 mag if they want.  Yeah, it won't be competitive with a full-on Open gun, but is that really a big deal to your average Super Senior Limited competitor?

Modified guns were way-cool, but USPSA quit them long before IPSC did due to relative unpopularity versus the divisions available at the time.

NO,NO,NO!!!!!

And I'm an old fat guy that has gone to open or Carry optics so I don't have to fight with sights.

To many divisions as it is

Lets go back to either Limited or Open if you want to change something!

Old guys generally can't win do to leg speed and those that can aren't bitching

LEAVE IT ALONE!!!

IMO, of course!!! LOL

This ^^^^^.  I'm 71 and recently recovered from a broken foot and four hernia surgeries.  I can no longer run as fast as my jackrabbit friends.  I can kick their ass if the stage does not require lots of movement.  However, if it requires running 20 yards to a new shooting box, my HF is going to take a hit.  I don't care.  I love to shoot.  Geez, I put an optic on my Limited gun and shot it in SCSA Open for two seasons.

5 hours ago, rishii said:

No that was modified division

it was like open but it had to fit in a box

And I'm pretty sure it is the only Division to evr be discarded.

So not much participation, though I thought it would have been a fun build just never got around to it.

11 minutes ago, OPENB said:

Isn’t this why we have classifications? We get old, skills diminish, we can go down in class. But pride is a bitch. 

To go down in class you have to petition or something, besides if i ever made M, you couldn't get that card away from me.  Right now my A card will probably be a cold dead hands moment haha

14 minutes ago, RJH said:

To go down in class you have to petition or something, besides if i ever made M, you couldn't get that card away from me.  Right now my A card will probably be a cold dead hands moment haha

Probably a lot less effort than putting a dot on a limited gun. Can be done behind a computer with a beer & the remote. 

We already have the bastard child of Open, Limited, and Production that people love. I think Limited Optics might be really popular. 

Or CO could change, to include SA guns and Major.

Edited by HCH

And you'd like to sire another bastard? Diluting the bloodline? Another pretender to the throne and all based off of the criteria of Senior and Super Seniors who have bad eyes and only want to shoot a Limited gun they already have?

No, I say no.

On 5/27/2019 at 12:22 PM, HCH said:

if you can't see well enough because of your age, you're not going to do well anyway, even if you create yet another new division to make people feel better.

If you want to do it, just put a dot on your limited gun, sign up for open, and don't worry about it. Stop trying to screw up the sport to fit your particular preferences, strengths, or weaknesses.

Or act like a proper old person (i'm 57, btw), and spend some of your 401k distribution on a pcc, or a genuine open gun, and make fun of all the poor suckers with jobs trying to support familiees.

Edited by motosapiens

1 minute ago, motosapiens said:

Stop trying to screw up the sport to fit your particular preferences, strengths, or weaknesses.

Dude I’ve got a looooooooong way to go till I make Senior. Just tossing out an idea that I have heard a lot of older competitors mention. Hence the reason in my original post I mentioned perhaps only allowing Senior or Super Senior competitors to use a dot in Limited. 

1 minute ago, HCH said:

Dude I’ve got a looooooooong way to go till I make Senior. 

in that case, tell your older friends to stop being whiners. It's not attractive.

We already have way too many divisions. It's lame to 'win' your division when only 3 people are shooting it.

Edited by motosapiens