Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How is Everglades 9mm major ammo?

UpYoursPal

I'm out of the country for the time being, but when I get back I want to get back into shooting right away.  For a variety of reasons, I'm not going to have access to my reloading stuff for a few weeks after I return, so I had planned to feed my open 2011 with some Everglades factory ammo in the meantime.  Has anyone tried it?  Is it decent stuff?  

Everglades runs short, OAL 1.14, jams my 2011. Probably better for open Glocks and Tanfos and stuff that need shorter Length to not bind up in the magazines. I prefer Black Dot Ammo, runs 1.16. Occasionally get a short one 1.11-1.13 with both brands, so if it’s for a major match, I’d still recommend case gauging each and checking for the rare short one. Check chrono too obviously.

Edited by Silverscooby27

1 hour ago, Silverscooby27 said:

Everglades runs short, OAL 1.14, jams my 2011. Probably better for open Glocks and Tanfos and stuff that need shorter Length to not bind up in the magazines. I prefer Black Dot Ammo, runs 1.16. Occasionally get a short one 1.11-1.13 with both brands, so if it’s for a major match, I’d still recommend case gauging each and checking for the rare short one. Check chrono too obviously.

Oh, I hadn’t heard of Black Dot ammo.  I’ll give them a try as well.  Thanks!

Actually, what other companies manufacture 9mm major?  I’m sure it’s not many but my google search has only turned up like two.

http://bigcountrytacticalammo.com/9mm-uspsa-major-shellshock-1000/

not hollow point and no exposed lead in case you are concerned about feeding issues and don’t like to clean the comp. For a higher quality option, there is always Atlanta Arms, which I’m sure is awesome, never tried it, they use bullets that are 147 gr. There is also Orm tech, I’ve never used them. 

https://ormtechammo.com/index.php/competition-ammunition/competition-handgun-ammunition/bulk-9mm-luger-147gr-fmj-loaded-long.html

Finally, for another option, you can also go with Universal Ammo. They can make you whatever you need.

http://www.universalammo.com/about/

Edited by Silverscooby27

I run Everglades 9 major through my Limcat. Runs very well. Atlanta arms is also really good. Their 147 9 major shoots super flat and soft though my Limcat but it’s also more $$ than Everglades. Between the two, I think Atlanta is better but more money. I’ll keep shooting Everglades through my gun. Haven’t had a single problem Yet. 

I’ve also tried teklead and it was decent. 

Black dot ammo was very hot in my opinion. The recoil from it in both a czechmate and my Limcat was very harsh. Dot was going nuts on both guns. 

6 hours ago, love2fishnshoot said:

I run Everglades 9 major through my Limcat. Runs very well. Atlanta arms is also really good. Their 147 9 major shoots super flat and soft though my Limcat but it’s also more $$ than Everglades. Between the two, I think Atlanta is better but more money. I’ll keep shooting Everglades through my gun. Haven’t had a single problem Yet. 

I’ve also tried teklead and it was decent. 

Black dot ammo was very hot in my opinion. The recoil from it in both a czechmate and my Limcat was very harsh. Dot was going nuts on both guns. 

I've never tried 147gr rounds in an open gun.  Heck, I don't think I had heard of anyone trying it until now.  

Edited by UpYoursPal

I bought a couple of 1000 before I realized I could pay off an XL650 in about 8 months. 

Its good stuff. 

My Czechmate did not like the OAL, so I had to shorten them. 
With a OAL of 1.125 I was getting 1470 avg. FPS. 
Whats that? 180 PF 😆 

Now I buy the bullets from them. 
Great company and great customer service!