Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FP Spring Weight with Zev Lightened Firing Pin?

Religious Shooter

Shopping around I see these firing pin springs:

2 or 3 lb Zev springs

4, 4.5 , 5 lb Wolff Springs

Glock Factory

Using the Zev striker:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/886920/zev-technologies-skeletonized-ultra-light-firing-pin-glock-9mm-luger-357-sig-40-s-and-w-45-gap-all-generations-stainless-steel

or other lightened/extended striker what was the lowest strength spring (or modified spring) were you able to get "100%" reliability using:

Fed Small Pistol (Minor)

Winchester Small Pistol (2nd choice for minor)

Winchester Small Rifle (Open Major Nine)

Thanks.

2 hours ago, JBP55 said:

The Zev springs are rated approximately 2# lighter than they actually are. This was verified by Zev years ago. A Glock Will Not Run with a 2# Firing Pin Spring.

More details needed. I am either misreading this or it is not correct info

meaning if i am reading this correctly it would mean they said a 2# spring as they call it would be a 0# spring....

Edited by dskinsler83

21 hours ago, dskinsler83 said:

More details needed. I am either misreading this or it is not correct info

meaning if i am reading this correctly it would mean they said a 2# spring as they call it would be a 0# spring....

Zev is calling a 4# spring a 2# spring. They are calling a 5# spring a 3# spring.

Called or rated 2# by Zev is Actually a 4# spring. I purchased them by the dozen years ago.

13 hours ago, dskinsler83 said:

Ok yes that is correct. BUT a well tuned Glock and striker can run the lightest ZEV spring just fine.  

True a Glock with a 4# firing pin spring  and the proper firing pin works fine with Federal ammunition or Federal primers.

I run a Johnny Glock trigger/safety/safety spring, stock 34 connector, Zev lightened striker and Zev 2# springs and 13# RS give me 2 3/4# action with good reset and using reloaded ammo w/fed primers have had no issues with ftf's. 

for people using lighter striker spring are your trigger safety fully functioning? If i lightly depress the trigger safety and let go it will not reset below 5lb striker spring

On 5/28/2019 at 11:55 PM, dskinsler83 said:

Ok yes that is correct. BUT a well tuned Glock and striker can run the lightest ZEV spring just fine.  

My trigger safety doesn't fully function below 5lb striker spring

2 hours ago, Fo0 said:

for people using lighter striker spring are your trigger safety fully functioning? If i lightly depress the trigger safety and let go it will not reset below 5lb striker spring

My trigger safety doesn't fully function below 5lb striker spring

Depends a lot upon the trigger spring and how much friction/engagement of connector on this as well. 

For those that run the 2lb Zev spring, how often do you replace it?

I got some Zev 2lb springs from Midway today.  I swapped it out and the trigger safety still works.

Had a 4lb Wolff on it before hand.  Pistol has a Johny Glock "drop in" competition trigger kit (drop in as I just ordered it.  Did not talk to him).  Pistol currently has the stock striker.

Using my Lyman battery powered scale, with the 4 lb Wolf I got:

3lb 12 oz

3 12

3 7

3 10

With the 2 lb Zev spring:

3lb 4.9oz

2 15.5

3 2.6

3 1.7

2 14.4

I don't want to add it all up, but I guess the 2lb Zev looks like it takes off 1/2 lb off of the trigger pull weight when compared to the 4lb Wolff.

I'm at 3lb 6oz with 5lb spring

with the Zev 2lb spring, I'm at 2lb 2oz

trigger safety works with Zev but if you press it it will deactivate it until you completely pull the trigger and resets or push the trigger forward and reset it.

everything works as it should with 5lb spring

3 hours ago, dskinsler83 said:

Depends a lot upon the trigger spring and how much friction/engagement of connector on this as well. 

thanks, I took out the Wolff trigger spring and Zev plunger with Wolff spring and put back in the Glock parts with Zev 2lb striker spring and adjusted the connector. everything functions now. still at 2lb 2oz. Just have to worry about light strikes now.

basically didn't use any springs from the Wolff competition spring pack I just bought