Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major using CFE Pistol?

Ragnar175

Okay guys, so I read through over a dozen forums that mentioned loading 9 Major for open division using CFE pistol. I found everything from starting loads, to burn rates, to people claiming it is the exact same powder as WAC with a copper cleaning additive. What I haven’t found, is anyone discussing the difference in “feel” or dot tracking compared to the popular 9 major powders like Autocomp, HS6, etc. Is there any reason that CFE pistol isn’t more prominent in Open division? Excuse my ignorance, I’ve only loaded minor thus far, but I just bought an open gun and would like to keep as many components the same as possible. Thanks in advance! 

WAC and CFE hit your hand the hardest.  Silhouette is softer and HS-6 is softer yet.  3N38 is softer, and Major Pistol powder is the softest.  Other powders with identical burn weights will feel the same as the ones I listed.  Bear in mind your gun plays a role here.  If you have poppels it will run flatter, but hit your hand harder.  To soften it back up you have to go to a slower powder so you generate more gas.  Up to a point, the more gas you have, the flatter and softer the guns runs.  That stops when you have so much gas that some of it jets out the front of the comp.

Dot tracking is probably dependent on you, your grip and your gun.  With WAC or Silhouette, muzzle flip is more, but the dot tracks straight up and down.  HS-6 makes it wiggle up and down.  I have no idea why.  The gun shoots much flatter with Major Pistol and the dot tracks well.  That is my new go to powder for major.  I also use it for minor, but I have a lot of Silhouette to use up, so I'll probably switch to that for minor for as long as it lasts.

BTW, my major load is 10.2gr MP under a 115 HAP.  For minor I drop that to 9gr.

BTW2, two of my friends use CFE for 9mm major.  Both complained about the recoil.  I convinced one to try MP.  He did and said it felt like cheating.  He had tried 3N38 first, but got tired of the compression and rounds 'growing'.

Edited by zzt

1 hour ago, zzt said:

WAC and CFE hit your hand the hardest.  Silhouette is softer and HS-6 is softer yet.  3N38 is softer, and Major Pistol powder is the softest.  Other powders with identical burn weights will feel the same as the ones I listed.  Bear in mind your gun plays a role here.  If you have poppels it will run flatter, but hit your hand harder.  To soften it back up you have to go to a slower powder so you generate more gas.  Up to a point, the more gas you have, the flatter and softer the guns runs.  That stops when you have so much gas that some of it jets out the front of the comp.

Dot tracking is probably dependent on you, your grip and your gun.  With WAC or Silhouette, muzzle flip is more, but the dot tracks straight up and down.  HS-6 makes it wiggle up and down.  I have no idea why.  The gun shoots much flatter with Major Pistol and the dot tracks well.  That is my new go to powder for major.  I also use it for minor, but I have a lot of Silhouette to use up, so I'll probably switch to that for minor for as long as it lasts.

BTW, my major load is 10.2gr MP under a 115 HAP.  For minor I drop that to 9gr.

BTW2, two of my friends use CFE for 9mm major.  Both complained about the recoil.  I convinced one to try MP.  He did and said it felt like cheating.  He had tried 3N38 first, but got tired of the compression and rounds 'growing'.

Thank you! This is what I’ve been looking for. Every other thread was just about CFE being ABLE to make major. I’ll have to try out some MP if I can find it locally. Worst case, I know I’ve seen HS6 around. 

1 hour ago, gng4life said:

Great post ZZT. A few more questions: 1) How much of the 9mm case does MP fill up? 2) Have you tried it with 124 JHP? 3) If yes, any load data to share? Thanks

10.2 gr fills the case to 1/8" or a little more from the top.  Seating a 115 HAP to 1.161" does not compress the powder.  I have only tried 124s for minor loads.  I'm still trying to find something I like.  I'm definitely sticking with the 115 HAP for major, because it shoots so well.  Fully processed mixed headstamp brass, CCI 500, 10.2gr Major Pistol, 115 HAP, 1.161" OAL.  169PF, SD 5.90.  Min PF 168.2.  Super, super accurate.

Here is a picture I copied from a Shooting Times article.  10.2 MP fills the case higher than AA#7, but lower than N350.

9majorsb-figure-4.thumb.jpg.e06779b7650069d648d838783144d81c.jpg

Edited by zzt

CFE is softer in the hand than WAC, in my opinion.   HS6 feels really good and I love AA7.  3n37 and 38 have to many fireballs. But that was for 38 super in my experience. 

I would like to try Major Power Pistol. I am also using the 135TC blue bullet this season and I'm loving it.  I usr 4.5g of CFE pistol for steel and knockdown steel. I believed when I chronoed,  I believe 6.3 or 6.5g CFE pistol with the 135TC Blue bullet to make major.

• 1 month later...