Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Squad Lists

Nic_USPSA_C

Who is still using paper sheets for scoring where they can shift stuff around by hand?!?!?! Shuffling? For real? Paper scoring at matches is a red flag for me personally and reason enough not to go back very often, if at all.

My last name starts with B. My first name with R. Over the years I've learned that I am often first shooter, first stage, first day of any big match I attend. I chose to get used to it. And in a squad of 12 that often means I get to go first twice as there will be more than 12 stages. I know the OP said they have to get up very early to travel to the match, I get that. I have to drive 2.5 hours each way to shoot at A59 or almost 2 hours to shoot at Austin. I eat my breakfast in the car and instead dry fire for 10 minutes at home before I leave. That alone has helped me more than anything with going first. I get "warmed up" before I even leave for the match.

It is funny though, even at matches with tablets, how out of whack people get when it is by shooter number or first name.

Shoot-n-scoot folks love to be first on the last stage of the day though, that's for sure. At the penultimate stage, "Hey do you mind if I go first next stage?", like they're doing everyone a favor....

I have seen people asked to be skipped. Normally for a reason they state, more specific than a "just because".

Having the pad travel with the squad makes selecting the shooting order your squad wants the easiest way. In the OP's case I bet building the type of relationship with the other people you shoot with, or learning how to read the crowd and talk your way into what you want could be very helpful.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with have pad will travel is if a tablet goes down and you can’t recover you lose an entire Squads scoring. You want to see pissed off people? Tell them they just shot for no score. 

Sometimes it’s not possible to sync throughout the match and leaving the tablets on stage is the the best solution. 

Oh and even when you can sync you still get people turning off WiFi. Because they want to save battery life. 

The joy of match directors. 😊

tablet scoring offers nothing but passing work down to a stage,,, paper with carbon is so easy. 
Yeh,, you can keep your tablets. I love tech when it actually makes things better.  But in scoring matches ? nope

?

No way will I go back to paper. It took hours upon hours to complete scoring. Now it’s done and posted before I leave the range. Most times it’s done before teardown is even complete. I like those four hours of my life back. 

I like to think ive done enough work for the match and don’t consider smarter not harder to be passing work down.

Edited by Nathanb

On 5/28/2019 at 11:03 AM, Nathanb said:

The problem with have pad will travel is if a tablet goes down and you can’t recover you lose an entire Squads scoring. You want to see pissed off people? Tell them they just shot for no score. 

Sometimes it’s not possible to sync throughout the match and leaving the tablets on stage is the the best solution. 

Oh and even when you can sync you still get people turning off WiFi. Because they want to save battery life. 

The joy of match directors. 😊

Most of us run a Master PractiScore tablet to grab scores throughout a match...  If a tablets goes down, the squad only needs to reshoot from the last point the scores were updated to the master tablet...  The master PractiScore tablet can also see the battery percentages of every tablet it syncs from...  If a battery starts to get low, I sync a new tablet and swap the old one out.

We NEVER have people turning off WiFi...  Most shooters are too busy grabbing their scores through PractiScore Competitor during the match to ever consider turning WiFi off in a scoring tablet...  I've had a tablet drop off during a match...  They will usually connect again...  If I can't sync from a tablet after a couple of tries, I usually find it and see what the problem is.

Dude I don’t make it a match where someone doesn’t. I can’t get them to help me do set up or stage design but they’ll help me by saving battery on the tablets. 

The cell signal at my club is nonexistent so they aren’t getting their scores until the end so maybe that’s why

Edited by Nathanb

On 5/26/2019 at 11:10 PM, Beef15 said:

Random is garbage if the tablet doesn't travel.

Names are easy, rare to have one ahead of me by first, been a bit of that lately, don't care. 

Member number is probably "fairest" repeatable, if you want to make a suggestion to your squad.

Actually "Random" is the same random on all tablets. Unless it was explicitly shuffled on some tablet. But in that case after syncing to Master and then back to all tablets - you have the same "Random" order on all.

3 hours ago, Nathanb said:

Dude I don’t make it a match where someone doesn’t. I can’t get them to help me do set up or stage design but they’ll help me by saving battery on the tablets. 

The cell signal at my club is nonexistent so they aren’t getting their scores until the end so maybe that’s why

We don't have any cellular either...  Lots of ranges don't...  But we do have electricity and can plug in a small WiFi router...  That's worthwhile for a safety backup point of view and also to get the results quicker.

1 hour ago, Nathanb said:

I was just tinkering with that and saw that the shuffle could be done from the master. That’s pretty slick

This feature has been super handy lately. For some reason some squads (or maybe some ROs) at majors like to use random order on the tablet. Now that I know it’s pre-determined from the master, I can just flip the squad over to random after they tell me and then I can know that the shooting order on the tablet is correct and I (probably) have the right shooter to enter the score under. 

On 5/30/2019 at 10:22 PM, euxx said:

Have the right shooter how?
You wither have shooter standing in front of you or not.

I mean that I know that I’m more likely to have the same shooter on the tablet who is supposed to be up next, assuming that the squad handed me the score sheets and said “These are in order but we did random order so it doesn’t match most stages tablets.” Basically, if I’m running the tablet I can use the fact that random is the same on every tablet to help match the order of the tablets and scoresheets. It’s just a way to hopefully reduce the risk of scoring someone under the wrong name or on the wrong paper scoresheet. 

As the RO running the timer, I could care less who the next shooter is. Whoever is ready and steps up can go for it as far as I’m concerned. 

IMHO, the only way to reduce the risk of scoring someone else is to ask shooter to confirm hos name before starting course of fire. That isn't really different from the paper score sheets.

For example, I frequently shooting with four Andreis in the same squad and two of them are Andrei P.

19 minutes ago, euxx said:

IMHO, the only way to reduce the risk of scoring someone else is to ask shooter to confirm hos name before starting course of fire. That isn't really different from the paper score sheets.

For example, I frequently shooting with four Andreis in the same squad and two of them are Andrei P.

I do this as well. I guess I just like it when they’re already in order. 

• 3 months later...

We have noticed that the random option tends to repeat itself on the tablets and isn’t so random at all at times. We have written names down on paper and gone by that at a couple of matches. Easier at an L2 or L3 with the score sheets but [emoji2371]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

tablets follow us, we usually ask if first shooter on list cares to go first? if yes we random, if no we just go with it. Then second stage second name is first and first name is last so we rotate in that manner. That way one person isnt always first.

personally I dont mind going first but i prefer to go later, still fairly new and like to see how others planned the stage out even though I typically wont change my stage plan after walkthrough to prevent a missed target.

At Optics Nats, our squad did alphabetical, but randomly pulled a number for first shooter on the first day.  Seemed to work pretty well.

At a local, drop a 'z' in front of your last name at reg time... ;)

On 11/20/2019 at 3:51 PM, shred said:

At Optics Nats, our squad did alphabetical, but randomly pulled a number for first shooter on the first day.  Seemed to work pretty well.

At a local, drop a 'z' in front of your last name at reg time... ;)

It did work well. 
The sort and random doesn’t work well with what we are using. Takes several attempts to sort randomly for the order to change and that wastes time and often it puts the same few shooters at the top of the list. 
I like knowing in advanced who I am following in the shooting order and alpha does that. In major matches, everyone will have a chance to be first shooter at least once. 

2 hours ago, HI5-O said:

The sort and random doesn’t work well with what we are using. Takes several attempts to sort randomly for the order to change and that wastes time and often it puts the same few shooters at the top of the list. 
I like knowing in advanced who I am following in the shooting order and alpha does that. In major matches, everyone will have a chance to be first shooter at least once. 

We use the random sort option to separate RO's in local matches when the RO travels with the squad...  We then use that order for the rest of the match...  We just skip two on each following stage.

It does take many presses of the random button to reorder the list...  It seems like there are five or six different random 'sort' orders and then it cycles back through the same order again.

• 2 months later...