Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weak Hand Only Shooting

Nic_USPSA_C

One thing that I've had snags with in WHO is "which eye picks up the sights".

Needs more practice, I think. Especially, I remember a short stage where I had to grab a rope and lean around the edge of a wall to see targets.

I generally slap the trigger on freestyle shots with pretty decent accuracy, but this never work too well for SH/WH.  I just recently started prepping the trigger up to the wall on all one-handed shots and it seems to minimize any inward pushing of the gun.  It also doesn't slow down splits too much if you get the reset and prep done while the gun is recoiling.  Practicing the trigger prep in dry fire has been really helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2019 at 1:19 AM, perttime said:

One thing that I've had snags with in WHO is "which eye picks up the sights".

Needs more practice, I think. Especially, I remember a short stage where I had to grab a rope and lean around the edge of a wall to see targets.

I don't know how many others do this, but I work on using the same eye as whichever hand is shooting (left eye -> left hand, etc), with the goal of eventually getting to a point where my left side is as good as my right. I do this with both eyes open, so it takes some mental excercise to pull off, but here's a trick I've found that helps me:

When focused on the target with the gun pointed in, I see two (sorta blurry) images of the gun, one for each eye. I aim with the one closer to my body centerline, this selects the same side eye as my shooting hand, and I don't need to close either eye.

Another eye excercise I find helpful is to look through a magnified (like 3x or more) rifle scope while keeping both eyes open, and mentally switch between looking through the scope with one eye or seeing openly with the other, without making any physical movement. It takes practice but can become very quick and natural. I find this is easier to do with 3x or higher power scopes, the zoom levels near 1x are more difficult for my brain to distinguish which image is which. 

Hope that helps. 

I do 50 round of strong hand and 50 round of weak hand shoot every time I go to the range regardless of what drill I'm doing. For me it all about making so strong hand, weak hand in a match it's no big deal. 

• 4 weeks later...

One thing to make sure of is that you just don't go limp and stand there without purpose. I try to make sure I have support and some tension in my upper body to support my off hand and absorb the recoil better. Also, be intentional to mimic with your off side what works for your strong side during dry fire.

• 2 weeks later...

In dry fire mimic pulling the trigger MUCH harder than need be and make sure those sights don't move. For me personally WHO is about going clean with no make ups no matter how long it takes. It always seems like 5 seconds per shot but it's more like 1-1.5 and that's ok!

I practice weak hand shooting at every practice session.  At the end I shoot one target at 25 yards 6 rds freestyle (paste those hits), shoot

6 rds strong hand only (paste those), move to 15 yards shoot 6 rds weak hand only; trying to shoot all A's.  You can change the distance and

not lose much and maybe go a little faster.  But, helps me when I come to a stage that has strong/weak hand shooting, not as concerned

about Mike's.......

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Lots of dryfiring. Set a par time and have the gun with the hammer or stikwr back. Once the buzzer goes off slap the trigger and observe sights. Train yourself to pull the trigger on the beep without moving sights. Then do it live. You won’t be perfect at it once you master dry but practice!

All good tips it seems. I’m not sure if it was mentioned but for me it seems to help if my strong arm is on my chest and if I flex my arm/chest in that side it seems to help stabilize my shots. Weak foot forward and body at a slight angle to the target. I like to really pay attention to the trigger reset and stop as soon as I feel it so I have a shorter pull on the next shot. I also find putting my finger in farther on my WHO shots seems to work better for me. It’s all preference I think and whatever works for me might not work for you. 

Do it.  That’s the big trick. All the tips mentioned in this thread are excellent. You have to do it. I broke my “strong” hand once.  Best support hand trick I ever found.  We all think we practice SH, but 5 min/2mags isn’t enough. Dedicate some real time. You will see gains quick. 

On 11/10/2019 at 10:23 AM, hrhawk said:

Do it.  That’s the big trick. All the tips mentioned in this thread are excellent. You have to do it. I broke my “strong” hand once.  Best support hand trick I ever found.  We all think we practice SH, but 5 min/2mags isn’t enough. Dedicate some real time. You will see gains quick. 

Very true! Mason Lane just had a nasty should break and was forced to shoot with one hand for a few months. Granted he was shooting SHO but I’ll bet his one handed shooting improved (it was pretty good before). He managed to qualify for worlds with one hand. 

• 1 month later...

Local match usually has one stage were you have to shoot weak hand at some point 

When on the flat range I'll shoot the dot drill a lot and i also do Pat McNamara 5x5x5 drill 

25 yards both hands 

15 yards SHO 

10 yards WHO 

• 1 month later...
On 5/26/2019 at 9:21 PM, Nic_USPSA_C said:

Tips, tricks, and drills please.

Try this..when shooting with your week hand only LIFT YOUR THUMB UP like an antenna.  That will provide balance and more support.  I know it soundS weird but ..TRY IT.

• 4 weeks later...

Canting the gun helps sight alignment and also helps involve more muscles to stabilize the pistol. The one common mistake I see is that many shooters only move their arm when transitioning from target to target instead of keeping form and transitioning their entire upper body.

• 1 year later...
On 1/19/2020 at 5:37 PM, Hperea said:

Try this..when shooting with your week hand only LIFT YOUR THUMB UP like an antenna.  That will provide balance and more support.  I know it soundS weird but ..TRY IT.

Interesting...I've always lifted my thumb, both hands, strong hand or weak hand, I found it helps to free the trigger finger while also ease the slide bite fear.

4 hours ago, Frito said:

Interesting...I've always lifted my thumb, both hands, strong hand or weak hand, I found it helps to free the trigger finger while also ease the slide bite fear.

Depends on the platform. Try that with a gun with slide racker and you’ll have issues. With 1911/2011 platform riding the safety prevents accidentally leaving safety on or bumping it on.