Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Nic_USPSA_C

Weak Hand Only Shooting

Lot of dry firing, really helps.

It's all about trigger control - wait, that sounds vaguely familiar.    :) 

Strong arm pulled fairly tightly to chest, weak foot forward (if standing still), gun arm bent just a bit, firm grip but not super tight (cause for me i get way more sympathetic movement with my weak hand when i pull the trigger with a real tight grip).  That said i have a firm grip in general and have never found all the "super crushing grip" things i read on here to be necessary, but maybe my firm grip is the same as others super crushing grip, IDK.

Anyway that is basically how i do it, i am sure some do it different, but there is a start

For me it's just doing it.....I use a dot drill target at 10 yards and put 5 in each dot at the end of all my live fire sessions. I have seen marked improvement.

We have a local match director that sets up our monthly USPSA matches.  He had a minimum of 1 stage a match that had some sort of weak hand shooting in it.

The good news is that I am getting better.

Just waiting for a weak hand only Texas Star!

23 minutes ago, Nic_USPSA_C said:

Just waiting for a weak hand only Texas Star!

I would just "Nope" out on that thing and take 5 mikes!

Definitely dry fire. Whenever I get a chance to live fire practice I always start with groups. Just 2 strings of 5 each FS then SHO then WHO. Just a little practice WHO pays big dividends. 

There's no magic bullet, just lots of deliberate dryfire. Stance and grip etc.. will help you manage the recoil more, but none of that matters if you're throwing shots due to bad trigger pull.

14 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Lot of dry firing, really helps.

It's all about trigger control - wait, that sounds vaguely familiar.    :) 

Dry firing really helps me at the time of my live shooting practice. But now I am not fully expert in the firing, need more training.

I practice in dry fire and at least a couple strings at the range. I also practice switching hands and strong hand only. It takes time but I am slowly getting better.

Mike Seeklander breaks down strong and weak hand shooting pretty well on YouTube if you want something specific. But most of the others replies have great comments about focusing on fundamentals. Biggest thing is time and practice I’m finding for me personally. Try to practice with more than one target when dry firing, too! 

out of curiousity - do you all cant the gun or retain upright when shooting weakhand? I just find that I hit the target more consistently when canting.

How about elbows, stiff arms straight or bent?

10 minutes ago, jimbullet said:

out of curiousity - do you all cant the gun or retain upright when shooting weakhand? I just find that I hit the target more consistently when canting.

I cant the gun because I was taught it allows better control of the gun. Stuck with it now.

3 hours ago, jimbullet said:

Retain upright, move your thumb lower on the grip and push inward with that thumb since you are missing a hand to control that side of the gun, bend your elbow a little bit (dont lock out) and rotate your elbow inward towards your body to help maintain upright orientation of the gun. You also want to pull your non shooting hand into your chest and change your footing with your shooting foot forward ( whichever foot matches the hand that is gripping the gun.) The elbow positioning should feel a bit uncomfortable.

9 hours ago, jimbullet said:

I asked this same question here awhile back as weak hand has been a problem for me. Canting the pistol to bring the sights over to my right eye better was the single best advice I received. With a little dry and live fire practice it's no longer a concern for me, especially considering the rarity of actually being required to so it. 

Keep gun straight and turn your head slightly to the left if you are right eye dominate shooting weakhand with left hand. 

For me (a lowly A class slob), just taking more time to move the trigger helped tremendously.   15yd splits of 0.75 weak hand get me pretty reliably in the A zone, 0.5s splits are 50/50 A or close C.  Rushing it even a little or losing focus on the trigger just kills the accuracy. This and more da dryfire too.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 6:40 PM, RJH said:

...have never found all the "super crushing grip" things i read on here to be necessary, but maybe my firm grip is the same as others super crushing grip, IDK...

There are plenty of top shooters who do not emphasize the need for a super crushing grip.  Having strong and big hands is an advantage, but not one that might not be outweighed by other advantages, like seeing faster, moving faster, being more consistent, making fewer mistakes, etc.

I was next to Mike Seeklander on the standards stage at nationals one year.  I liked the way he snugged his deltoid, shoulder and chin.

Then Taran Butler at the MidCoast Dual Championship had almost the same(blazing) time for his weak and strong  hand shooting on a stage. So I went to his range to talk with him.  

First , correct stance

Second, correct grip

Third, correct sight picture

Then trigger control. 

I practice with thousands of .22 rounds. Including hand transitions. 

Like Taran I don’t cant but right hand I aim pretty much at the right perf. And left perf for left hand. He said people tend to push their shots. 

Also, my dear departed friend had an unmerciful .22 plate rack. Started at 10 yards and eventually ended at 22 yards. 5 plates 5 shots was my goal.

Again thousands of .22 on a TS conversion unit on my SV (double and SS) guns. 

See back issue of FrontSight mag. 

As with much of our shooting, you should try both canted and straight and see which works best for you.  Perhaps some weak hand Bill Drills and see how the hits and times compare.  Use the one that comes out best.  What works for one may not be best for everyone.

To me, keeping the pistol perfectly upright introduces some unnecessary tensions in my arm and wrist. I let it be slightly canted. Not much: just so I'm not forcing it to be upright.

Dryfire helps for me a lot with SHO / WHO, especially with getting a good index, and obviously the gun handling aspect.  I've been hitting SHO / WHO in every life-fire session as well, and at least for ME this has helped a lot with learning what I can get away with (sight picture) and still hit alphas at different distances.  I also let the pistol cant, as it feels more natural and makes it easier for me to pick up the front sight.  

My brain feels squirmy when I do WHO practice but settles down if I do it for consecutive days.  At that point it starts to help my overall shooting.

One of my simple drills (dry fire or live fire) is to draw, two shots, change to WHO, two more shots.  A 2-second dry fire par time is pretty good if you're honestly seeing A hits.

Cant or not, whatever works.