Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil spring # on a 38sc? And shock buffs?

Ozy

I don't think you will find many people running shock buffs on their open guns. They are short stroking the gun and introducing a possible failure point into the system. The compensator on an open gun bleeds off a lot of energy that would be going into the slide compared to a non compensated gun. That is why you can run such a light recoil spring in the first place.

On 5/31/2019 at 2:02 PM, FTP_Shooting_Sports said:

I don't think you will find many people running shock buffs on their open guns. They are short stroking the gun and introducing a possible failure point into the system. The compensator on an open gun bleeds off a lot of energy that would be going into the slide compared to a non compensated gun. That is why you can run such a light recoil spring in the first place.

...so if I’m reading you correctly, you oppose adding a shock buff?

On 6/8/2019 at 4:42 PM, Ozy said:

...so if I’m reading you correctly, you oppose adding a shock buff?

I would not personally use one but that is not to say that you shouldn't. They help to prevent battering of the frame but at the cost of shortening the stroke of the gun and introducing another possible failure point (especially the rubber shock buffs).

Had a blue buff in my rig for over 4000 rounds now. Looks like new still. Knock on wood, never a issue with the gun not running 100%.

I am in CA and frames/open guns are extremely hard to come from so I want to protect the frame any way I can to prolong the life of it. YMMV.