Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DIY - Poppel Holes

I did mine in two of my guns and a couple for a friend with a 5/32" solid carbide 4 flute endmill.  I spaced the holes 3/8" for a total of 3/4".  I put them all in straight up.  Doing it again I would angle the first one forward 10 degrees.  It would help keep the glass cleaner.

I prefer two 3/16" poppels with 3/16" between them.  Use carbide endmills, preferably ball end, and go slow when you break through.  Shoot jacketed after that to remove any burrs.

31 minutes ago, Nic_USPSA_C said:

Thanks - did they help with dot movement?

Yes.  They help or people wouldn't do it.  They do come with the cost of a little more gas on the glass and you'll have to up you powder a couple .1s to make the same power factor.    

I'm not yet sure that I will be adding any holes to my new Czechmate.  I don't have enough time on the gun to determine if I will need them.

9 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

They help or people wouldn't do it.

Ususally correct. 

Brian Miller milled a few holes in one of his 16" PCC barrels. Early results sounded promising.  I guess I need to contact him to ask a few questions and see if he still likes them. 

I don't know if he is the only one to try it but I'd bet he was the first.

22 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

Ususally correct. 

Brian Miller milled a few holes in one of his 16" PCC barrels. Early results sounded promising.  I guess I need to contact him to ask a few questions and see if he still likes them. 

I don't know if he is the only one to try it but I'd bet he was the first.

I have been referring to pistols with poppel holes.  I have no experience trying poppel holes in a PCC.  My PCC runs a Taccom barrel that is basically an aluminum tube for 11" so I can't imagine it would help with my build.

Nic, it all depends on your barrel.  I have a pair of Open guns that are essentially the same except the main gun has two 3/16" poppels.  Comps are the same.  I lose 3PF for a major load in the poppeled gun, with an identical load.  If your SDs are single digit, you should be fine with adding poppels.  Bear in mind, the farther back you place the poppels, the more gas they rob, so velocity is lower.

As stated by others using a ball mill gives a better more precise cut.  I angled my hole closest the glass 10 degrees forward,  It helps keep the gas from both away from the sight..  

IMG_1707.PNG

10 hours ago, NoSteel said:

It definatly helped in keeping the dot in the glass.  I went with just 2 holes..

IMG_1525.JPG

Share some dimensions?  Hole Size, Slot Size, distance from comp?  What kind of fps loss did you get after adding them?

Interested in any info you can share.  

• 4 months later...