Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Clint007

Lightening the recoil spring safely on 2.0 5”

I finally got around to swapping out the factory recoil spring and tried a 13 pound spring.  I recall hearing the factory is 17#?  I have also 11# and 15# . With the 13# spring I noticed the gun shoots flatter, there is less oscillation at the end of the shot as the gun comes back down. 

I’ve put 1000 round thru and have no malfunctions, testing both slide lock reloads using the sling shot method and (faster but technically improper) pushing down on the slide lock button.  But, I do notice that now with the lighter spring, if I do a press check, and release, the slide doesn’t return automatically forward fully into battery, I have to do a manual forward “assist” (Push on it with my thumb).

How might I tell, however, if the slide is banging on the frame with this lighter spring, leading to cumulative damage?  

Thx

clint

I never have an issue with a 13lb spring in a 1.0 or 2.0. Several thousand rounds through both of mine with no issues. 

I don’t like the 11 or 12 though. Had the failure to completely return to battery several times. Odd that one pound makes such a difference. 

To answer your question though, I don’t know. I’ve never seen any excessive wear on mine. 

The 13# works well for my 5" pro.

Has anyone else had the problem of the spring slipping over the head of the guide rod screw?

I destroyed 2 ISMI springs trying to get them to work...

8 minutes ago, saab said:

Has anyone else had the problem of the spring slipping over the head of the guide rod screw?

Why not run them Uncaptured? 

18 minutes ago, saab said:

Leave the screw head out and run them uncaptured. Makes cleaning the rod and spring much easier and it’s not very tough to assemble.

13 hours ago, Clint007 said:

How might I tell, however, if the slide is banging on the frame with this lighter spring, leading to cumulative damage?  

Inspect the end of the dust cover and the recoil block area where the dust cover hit when the gun is fully cycled to the rear

1 hour ago, jcc7x7 said:

Inspect the end of the dust cover and the recoil block area where the dust cover hit when the gun is fully cycled to the rear

Ok thank you

c

9 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Leave the screw head out and run them uncaptured. Makes cleaning the rod and spring much easier and it’s not very tough to assemble.

What he said^...no problems with running my 9mm Pro with the  screw out that way...go for it!!!

On 5/27/2019 at 9:16 AM, jpm2953 said:

Why not run them Uncaptured? 

Didn't know you could do that...

Thanks!