Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newb needs help with parts for STI 2011

I’m a complete newb to competition pistol shooting. I’m wanting to get into it and be competitive. I have a plastic pistol Carry Optics setup I’m planning to use to start. That’s another topic. I bought a 5” STI Tactical 2011 in 9mm back in 2014 to use on the rare pistol stage we would have to shoot in a PRS match. It worked fine for what I needed. I would like to change some things in it and I’d like to get some advice. 

The sights: It has the all metal solid black front and rear. The rear notch measures .155” wide and the front post measures .130” wide. I’d like to get some sights that have a smaller notch and thinner front post with the front being fiber optic. Is there a pretty common “thinner” setup that most people use as far as a front to back measurement? Most importantly I’d like a pretty fine fiber red/green up front. 

The grip: This grip feels just a little large to me, but it’s ok. It just doesn’t feel “good” in my hand. I did the undercut on the trigger guard myself (yes I used a dremel on my pistol). The feel was much much better afterwards. I like a pretty high undercut for my finger to set in. Any suggestions on a different grip that is popular with a lot of shooters? It needs to be pretty aggressive as far as texture. 

The magwell: this magwell seems very small compared to what I see on other people’s guns. Any suggestions on a slightly larger one? I do reloads just fine with this one. It’s pretty smooth, but when placed under stress on the clock, I’m sure a larger one would help. Of course practice would also help as well. 

The mag release: this thing sucks. It’s too small. I have to alter my grip to drop the mag. 

Lastly.....if my understanding is correct, the only class I can shoot this pistol in like it is in 9mm is Limited Minor (or open.....right). I understand with the lower scoring factor of limited minor, this is not the place most people want to be shooting. So, that makes me ask the question is it worth spending any amount of money at all on this pistol to “fix it up” other than maybe changing the sights? I’d be ok shooting limited minor for a few matches to get started, but I know I’m not going to want to stay there. 

https://m.imgur.com/XZuuV2G

https://imgur.com/gallery/VWMJvmv

Edited by Trevor300wsm

If you are planning on USPSA, youd be pouring good money after bad putting anything into that one. Be better off selling it and getting a 40 or just stay with a CO rig for now till you learn the game and what you like and dont like. 
Way to many people jump in, then spend a bunch of money for the wrong gear.

Personally, I’d sell the 9mm you have and try to find a used STI 2011 Edge in .40 on the forum. 

Realistically, the stuff you want to swap is gonna cost in the neighborhood of $400 and you’re still going to shoot minor at the end of the day. Obviously, do what you want, but anything for sale is gonna be pre-tricked out with most of the stuff or all the stuff you want. 

Lastly, if you still want to trick your 9mm out, Dawson Precession will have all the stuff you want:

.100 wide fiber optic  front sight    

DVC undercut and reduced 2011 grip

ICE Magwell

Dawson mag release w/ 4-40 tap for bigger button. 

Best of luck!

25 minutes ago, ARac40 said:

Personally, I’d sell the 9mm you have and try to find a used STI 2011 Edge in .40 on the forum. 

Realistically, the stuff you want to swap is gonna cost in the neighborhood of $400 and you’re still going to shoot minor at the end of the day. Obviously, do what you want, but anything for sale is gonna be pre-tricked out with most of the stuff or all the stuff you want. 

Lastly, if you still want to trick your 9mm out, Dawson Precession will have all the stuff you want:

.100 wide fiber optic  front sight    

DVC undercut and reduced 2011 grip

ICE Magwell

Dawson mag release w/ 4-40 tap for bigger button. 

Best of luck!

Thank you very much. 

Any idea of a ballpark price to list mine at for sale? Less than 1000 rounds fired. 2 STI mags and one MBX mag (140mm). Seems like STI’s don’t rate very highly around here. I doubt anyone is going to want to trade a .40 for a 9. 

Edited by Trevor300wsm

Yup. The trade for a 9 to 40 will be hard. 9mm is a 3 gunners gun. If you're new just shoot what you have and go from there. When you can start placing higher in your locals then maybe look into upgrading to a .40. It’s not really going to matter all that much while you’re just getting started.

Before you spend a bunch of money ether upgrading your pistol or getting a new one 

shoot a few matches wIth your existing setup to make sure this sport is for you

limited minor will hurt a little in scoring, but you’ll have a capacity advantage over a 40, plus it’ll force you to aim

among other sti's , i have the 4" version of your gun.  nice gun.  both dawson and brazos have mag release buttons that just screw into the hole in your mag release.  for sights, i just replaced my steel front site with a fiber optic from dawson's, they have a sight selection section on their website or just call or email them.  easy to tap the existing one out and the new one in.  i'd just stick with the existing magwell but bigger is generally bigger.  since you already undercut your trigger guard, could try stippling the frame.  if not, for around $200 you could get a nicely stippled grip from extreme shooters and actually for less you could send your grip to them for stippling.  my opinion is just keep what you got and run it for a while.  you get hosed on selling these.  then just buy something similar in .40 if you do want to stick with uspsa.  and the tactical will be great for prs as you said and also 2 & 3 gun if/when you get into that.

On 5/26/2019 at 7:33 PM, Trevor300wsm said:

Any idea of a ballpark price to list mine at for sale? Less than 1000 rounds fired. 2 STI mags and one MBX mag (140mm). Seems like STI’s don’t rate very highly around here. I doubt anyone is going to want to trade a .40 for a 9. 

It’s a buyers market right now, horrible time to sell. 

I have a grip that has had reduction and double undercut. It’s helps some. I ended up going with a stainless one. The work was done by everglades. I’d take $50 plus 659a6ce6a2286579064619fd7e1f4229.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk