Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to reloading, help with data


theGuz00
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone! New to reloading and wanted to reach out for some help. I was using the Blue Bullets 200 gr purchasing off of a  reloading company and they made the switch to a 180gr blue bullets and my Gen 3 Glock 35 with a wolf barrel will not run them. Current OAL is at 1.126. Crimp on the 200gr was at .4225 and on the 180gr at .4205. I'm thinking that the wolf barrel just doesn't like the profile of the 180gr blue bullets.

 

Want to stay with the 180gr but will be switching to Ibejiheads with the same shape as the 200gr blue bullets. Was told that N320 is a good powder to go with but don't have any data. Can anyone recommend some data with the 180gr Ibejiheads bullets out of a Glock? 

 

Thank you all so much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi everyone! New to reloading and wanted to reach out for some help. I was using the Blue Bullets 200 gr purchasing off of a  reloading company and they made the switch to a 180gr blue bullets and my Gen 3 Glock 35 with a wolf barrel will not run them. Current OAL is at 1.126. Crimp on the 200gr was at .4225 and on the 180gr at .4205. I'm thinking that the wolf barrel just doesn't like the profile of the 180gr blue bullets.
 
Want to stay with the 180gr but will be switching to Ibejiheads with the same shape as the 200gr blue bullets. Was told that N320 is a good powder to go with but don't have any data. Can anyone recommend some data with the 180gr Ibejiheads bullets out of a Glock? 
 
Thank you all so much.
N320 is the great hype but I use 700-x at 4.1 grains. My OAL is 1.205 for my 2011. Gives me 170-172pf in my 6 inch and 168-169 in my 5 inch barrel. Meters very well, little faster than TG and with 6k plus of 180 Ibejiheads no excessive smoking. Very accurate at distance too

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

If you're reloading .40 Major, most important to eliminate possibility of

bullet setback (that can ruin your day, esp with heavy bullets/fast powders.

 

Need a good sizing die that will size the case down enough to get a

Very Good grip on the bullet.    :) 

 

Thanks for the feedback. I was purchasing my rounds from a local company who utilized the Blue Bullets. As I have now purchased a Dillon Square Deal I want to start reloading my own to eliminate all issues. The sizing die that comes with the unit does a good job I feel. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

N320 is the great hype but I use 700-x at 4.1 grains. My OAL is 1.205 for my 2011. Gives me 170-172pf in my 6 inch and 168-169 in my 5 inch barrel. Meters very well, little faster than TG and with 6k plus of 180 Ibejiheads no excessive smoking. Very accurate at distance too

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
 

 

I don't think I can go past OAL of 1.130 on that barrel. That would be my only problem. I looked at the TG and the label with using a Hornady XTP at 1.125 OAL is at 4.7gr. Wonder if it would be the same for the 700-X at 1.125 OAL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, theGuz00 said:

 

  I have a SDB. T he sizing die does a good job.

 

I have two SDB's and have loaded at least 60,000 rounds with them,

but I'm NOT sure the SDB sizing die does an adequate job with 

.40 Major.

 

Easy to find out, though.   Just load some up and push the heck out

of them on your reloading bench.  Try to push the bullet into

the case.    Measure the OAL afterwards

and see if they got any shorter.

 

If they get shorter, You'd better keep a close eye on them - or get

a 550 and a tighter sizing die.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You say that the 200 gr blues are fine and the 180s don’t work at same oal? I would expect the opposite based on bullet shape. I have a lone wolf on my 24 and while tight, I never had an issue. 

 

As far as powder, I use n320 as my main powder but also still using up 16# of WST as practice ammo. 4.6-4.7 gr of either powder under a 180 gr coated at 1.125-1.135  should make major from a Glock 35. They are both reverse temp sensitive and need to increase charge a very little bit in high temperature.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Novagunner said:

You say that the 200 gr blues are fine and the 180s don’t work at same oal? I would expect the opposite based on bullet shape. I have a lone wolf on my 24 and while tight, I never had an issue. 

 

As far as powder, I use n320 as my main powder but also still using up 16# of WST as practice ammo. 4.6-4.7 gr of either powder under a 180 gr coated at 1.125-1.135  should make major from a Glock 35. They are both reverse temp sensitive and need to increase charge a very little bit in high temperature.

 

That is correct, for some odd reason, it does not like the shape of the bullet. The 200's ran flawless, switched to the 180's to keep the gun running a little flatter and doesn't like them at all. 

 

Thanks for the data as well bud. Will be trying it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Get ride of your Wolf Barrel and stick with stock barrel then try running those 180 again..you do not need N320 for a Glock,.... TG, W231 are all good , economical powders that will work just fine for your intended purpose..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Furrly said:

Get ride of your Wolf Barrel and stick with stock barrel then try running those 180 again..you do not need N320 for a Glock,.... TG, W231 are all good , economical powders that will work just fine for your intended purpose..

 

I just found the stock barrel for that gun and will be trying the 180's through it.

 

In the process of purchasing an Open Gun and will be using the N320 for those loads as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...