Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good break down of reloading mechanics?

IHAVEGAS

Enjoy shooting a 929 and would like to learn to reload it for USPSA, maybe make practicing reloads and getting some skill at it my next off season main goal.

Any favorite break down and illustration of the best mechanics? Keeping the gun in my strong (right) hand and dropping the rounds in with my left feels the most natural to me. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS
Swine spell checker and lazy proof reader

14 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I'm not a revolver shooter, but I think I've seen Jerry M. hold gun in left hand

and drop rounds in with his right (strong) hand.

You'd have more dexterity with your strong hand.

Yea M does it that way, but somewhere on you tube he says that the best way to do it is the way that works best for you. A GM revolver shooter I know gives the same advice (and reloads the same way J.M. does).  I don't know which method is most common or how close it is to an even split. 

11 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

You mean "reloading" mechanics, not "reading" mechanics, right?

Write. 

Do a search of YouTube. There are about 5 general ways to do it. Primarily,  weak hand or strong hand. I started with strong hand but found it easy to sweep myself so changed to weak hand as it gave me better muzzle control. You’d be amazed at what you can get the dumb side to learn. The idea is to pick what works for you and practice the crap out of it.

Edited by Mcfoto

Personally I'm a fan of weak hand loading, for two reasons is muzzle controll is easier and second it is more similar to reloading an auto and as I switch platforms regularly that's helpfull.

My technique (aka this works for me)

I shoot with a thumbs forward grip just like an auto.

After firing last shot is both thumbs and trigger finger move, strong hand thumb to where the hammer spur would be weak hand thumb to the cylinder release trigger finger to the side of the cylinder.

Weak hand thumb releases cylinder trigger finger presses cylinder through frame

During steps one and 2 muzzle is being elevated to about 45 deg

Weak hand hits ejector rod

Weak hand grabs new moon clip
While grabbing clip muzzle I'd dropping to about 45 deg down

Weak hand delivers moon clip to cylinder, look the moon into the cylinder

Weak hand closes cylinder while bringing gun back up to firing position

Grip is rebuilt as gun gets to firing position.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Mine keeps evolving.

Currently I grip gun with weak hand thumb up against blast shield, strong hand thumb over the weak one.

strong hand thumb hits the release as strong hand rotated out 45 degrees over and up. Weak hand cups the barrel while travelling upward.  Weak hand thumb hits ejector and then goes for a moon clip while strong hand dips gun down and brings gun to belt. Regrip

It’s a little tricky as I’ve got smallish hands 

-a lot of revo shooters I see have huge mitts!

Wow, I'm right handed and my left hand is not dexterous enough to grab a moon clip and get it anywhere close to the cylinder :)

I hit the thumb release with my right thumb, transfer the gun to my left hand, elect the rounds with my left thumb, grab and reload a mom clip with my right hand, then transfer the gun back to my right hand.

So far I've got the whole thing down under 30 seconds :)

Edited by ysrracer

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

There isn't any easy way for an all powerful moderator to fix that by any chance? 

Sure there is...if I were an all powerful moderator...but, you should be able to fix that yourself. Edit your original post and it should let you change the title of the thread...but, you'd better hurry...after a set number of hours, you can no longer edit the post or title.

FWIW, I made master last year some time in Revo.

BUT

My reloading is the weakest part of my game, other than being overweight and moving slow!!

Which ever way you start out is fine, and often what you'll wind up using.

I switched hands back in the PPC and Bianchi Cup days with speed loaders.

So just went with that same movement when I went to moon clip guns.

Couple months ago I went through training myself to load left handed.  

got it down to a consistent 2.8-3.0 shot to shot, not fast but both shots where A's and there were no more fumbles at that point.

Then I shot a match using my left hand and after two stages went back to right hand as my movement just felt strange.

So this winter I'll go back and re visit left hand loading along with movement.

Best thing right now is to work on finding where you're wasting time/ extra movements that are not needed to complete the reload

and get the gun back on target.  Do everything slow and smooth and just keep speeding up with out losing the smoothness.

Make the reload reliable and be able to do it walking across your living room (dummy rounds of course)

Then moving at speed in both directions while controlling your muzzle so you don't break the 180 going left if you righthanded etc.

As said before practice and then do it some more.

Good fortune

13 hours ago, MWP said:

Both are good. 

But one is faster...

If the "one" is JM or TGO or David Olhasso or Josh Lentz or Matt Griffin or....

Practice both, use the one that feels natural.  You don't want to "think" about it while in a COF.

I give a first time Revo shooter a revolver and loose ammo and ask them to load it without saying anything else. Whatever hand they use is the one they should reload with.

The strong hand, or FBI reload is what I use. It has the advantage of a more equal distribution of labor between the two hands. While I'm ejecting, my right hand is already at the moonclip.

With a moon rack in the front I sometimes find myself hunting for the next moonclip by the end of the stage. I use my moonclips right to left and by reload 4 I've found myself searching for it. A weak hand reloader can wear their moon rack down the side of their body and sweep their hand back to their ammo like the bottomfeeders do. I think this could save time, especially on the last few reloads on a stage.

Jerry loads strong hand, we've all seen the videos. Leatham loads weak hand and shoots revolver better than most of us. Look at videos of Leatham and the position of his moon rack.

It is very helpful to video yourself during your dry fire. I have an old video camera on a tripod. Ejection and dropping the moonclip in can only happen so fast. Gravity is what it is, get the gun vertical so gravity works for you. The time savings in the reloads is really in the long distance hand movements. You need to bring the revolver closer to your body to reload, that part of the movement can be abrupt. Going for a moonclip? Move your hand faster, it's not a fine motor skill.

My reload is 2 seconds or just under with the 625. I'm under 2.5 with the 627, though there's a lot more variability with the longer 38 special cartridge. Most of my gains came thru retrieving the moonclip faster and pulling the gun in faster. Get the gun more vertical when dropping the clip in.

On 5/27/2019 at 8:45 AM, pskys2 said:

If the "one" is JM or TGO or David Olhasso or Josh Lentz or Matt Griffin or....

Practice both, use the one that feels natural.  You don't want to "think" about it while in a COF.

You mentioned two fast reloaders and 3 not so fast. JM and Matt transfer the gun and the time is significantly faster doing that, 10-20% faster from what I’ve seen at the top. 

You mentioned two fast reloaders and 3 not so fast. JM and Matt transfer the gun and the time is significantly faster doing that, 10-20% faster from what I’ve seen at the top. 
Isn't Matt a lefty?

15 minutes ago, PatJones said:
38 minutes ago, MWP said:

Isn't Matt a lefty?

He is. And it’s fast. 

Here's my opinion. 

The strong hand reload is faster then the weak hand reload. But for 95% of people.... It really doesn't matter. 

I think the mechanics of the strong hand reload is generally more efficient, you have each hand doing totally different jobs, which in effect trims down the time. 

That being said, I'm a weak hand reloader. And there are alot of very fast weak hand reloaders out there. There are also plenty of weak hand reloads that have one nationals. 

Point being, unless you are the top 5% of competitors that are truly at the top of your game, it really doesn't matter - you are far better off spending time working on important things, like transitions, shot calling , and foot movement efficiency. 

Who cares if you can reload in 1.7 seconds versus 2.0 seconds if it takes you 6 seconds to move to the next shot array anyway.

Edited by alecmc

3 hours ago, alecmc said:

Here's my opinion. 

The strong hand reload is faster then the weak hand reload. But for 95% of people.... It really doesn't matter. 

I think the mechanics of the strong hand reload is generally more efficient, you have each hand doing totally different jobs, which in effect trims down the time. 

That being said, I'm a weak hand reloader. And there are alot of very fast weak hand reloaders out there. There are also plenty of weak hand reloads that have one nationals. 

Point being, unless you are the top 5% of competitors that are truly at the top of your game, it really doesn't matter - you are far better off spending time working on important things, like transitions, shot calling , and foot movement efficiency. 

Who cares if you can reload in 1.7 seconds versus 2.0 seconds if it takes you 6 seconds to move to the next shot array anyway.

100% agree

Edited by MWP

To me the big thing with reloads is are they consistent? can you do them going forward? backwards? left? right?  Having a 1.2 second standing reload that turns into a 5 second S*%& show if you have to move to your left is not as good as having a 2.3 second reload that just happens regardless of what ever else you may be doing. 

For me one of the big reasons I weak hand reload is I swap between revo and auto all the time and my left hand handles the ammo getting portion of the reload regardless. If I could dedicate myself to just revo I would probably switch, when I have tried it in static practice strong hand equals my weak hand times pretty quickly so I know it could be faster but having to retrain myself is a larger project than I'm ready for at this point.

18 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

To me the big thing with reloads is are they consistent? can you do them going forward? backwards? left? right?  Having a 1.2 second standing reload that turns into a 5 second S*%& show if you have to move to your left is not as good as having a 2.3 second reload that just happens regardless of what ever else you may be doing. 

For me one of the big reasons I weak hand reload is I swap between revo and auto all the time and my left hand handles the ammo getting portion of the reload regardless. If I could dedicate myself to just revo I would probably switch, when I have tried it in static practice strong hand equals my weak hand times pretty quickly so I know it could be faster but having to retrain myself is a larger project than I'm ready for at this point.

I've been shooting practical pistol since 1978 exclusively with semi-autos until the Revolver Division came to be.  Yet it was instinctive to me to reload with my strong hand.  I have never had it be an issue.  I tried weak hand and have it in my bag, even used it in a few matches when it was the best choice with not issues.  

But everyone will have their preferences.  To me smooth and consistent will win out over which one can give you a single fastest time.