Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do I need to sand the grip before silicon carbide?

B_RAD

I took a Dremel to my gen 4 before doing it last time but I'm wondering if that's even needed? I want to just apply. Not gonna lie, don't want to get all that fine dust everywhere. 

Anyone done theirs without roughing it up first?

Edited by B_RAD

No, I've done two M&Ps, just the new PC backstraps and I did nothing but clean them with alcohol. They've held up over several thousand rounds, and only lost a minimal amount of grippyness. The grit is still there, 100%. Zero issues. I would not waste time sanding unless you were looking for a reduction in grip girth.

14 hours ago, rooster said:

If your gun has been stipples is it possible to do the silicon carbide? How hard is it to do. Do you have any pictures?

Yes.  You can do it. It's permanent though. So, you'll never be able to go back to your stippled grip. Just an FYI. 

Here's the video I used to do my gen 4.

I sanded my grip done when I did mine. I decided I wanted to stipple the frame the other day so I used a hair drying to heat the frame to 200 degrees. the epoxy peeled off relatively easily with a metal scraper. I’m  have having some trouble posting pics I’ll try to get them up later. 

10 hours ago, MRindecisive said:

I sanded my grip done when I did mine. I decided I wanted to stipple the frame the other day so I used a hair drying to heat the frame to 200 degrees. the epoxy peeled off relatively easily with a metal scraper. I’m  have having some trouble posting pics I’ll try to get them up later. 

What kind of epoxy did you use? Do you think it would work on JB weld. I just did mine have no intentions of removing but if in the future if it lost texture I might have to redo.

• 2 weeks later...

No.  I did one of my 34s and a buddies 17 at the same time.  I sanded mine. No difference at all in adhesion. He thinks his is a little more lumpy due to not sanding it.  I think it’s in his head.  I can’t tell. 

• 2 weeks later...

I sanded mine. Mainly because I wanted to remove the finger grooves and stay as small of profile as I could. When I did a friends he wanted me to just JB weld over his current stipple. Prep with alcohol or similar to remove any oils is the most important part. Once I applied everything and the JB weld got harder I added more silica carbide trying to force it into the areas of high friction where it tends to rub off.

60/90 mix super aggressive for long range days or classes but perfect for a match gun.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2019 at 7:12 AM, LuvDog said:

What silicone carbide grit are people using 

Works great. Feels like really grippy skateboard tape that never wears out:

Fundamental Rockhound Products: 2 lb 60/90 Coarse GRIT for Rock Tumbling polishing Silicon Carbide https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JTJG3GI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_DWCmDbQR05HAD

I redid my Glock 34 grip. When I did it first I read somewhere to lightly pat down the grit, which I did. However it did not come out as coarse as my Glock 17 co gun. So I cleaned the frame with alcohol and just redid the whole process. It came out great just as grippy as my 17.