Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ models

chetc

took my friend to the range today, he wants to get a 9mm semi for target shooting. he tried a few of my striker fired pistols, don't care for them, he shot my witness match elite, CZ 75B SA and my new Shadow2. he cannot afford the shadow 2. he actually likes my CZ 75 B SA, i was looking around and local dealers say they are discontinued. so it brings a question, if he were to get a CZ 75B, can it be converted to near the trigger of my CZ 75B SA without much expense. am i missing any options

thanks

chet

As long as it's a manual-safety model, then yes it can be converted to SAO relatively easily.  Many of us have done so in various versions.  You can get a single-action trigger like...

https://czcustom.com/cz-75-sa-aluminum-trigger-factory-custom.html

...which keeps it from traveling forward enough to reset in double action.  From there you can remove the disconnector or even leave it in.

I have also seen few CZ75B SAO's locally (let me know if you want to get in touch with them), and CZ Custom has a complete SA lower for sale....

https://czcustom.com/new-firearms/cz-pistols-custom/cz-75-parts-kit-frame.html

Edited by MoRivera

If you search the internet vendors/dealers you'll see them around for a few years, most likely.  I still see P07 DUTY pistols at gun shows now and then and think how long it's been since they stopped making those.

And, as stated earlier, it's not hard or expensive to convert a CZ75B to SAO.  Even a Compact can be converted - as long as it's the safety model, not the decocker model.

Having said that, a race hammer from CGW (CZ Custom is probably just as good but I've never bought one from them) along with their (CGW) adjustable sear will make for an amazing single action trigger pull even if you leave the pistol SA/DA capable.

Agreed, upgraded hammers provide a lighter and crisper SA break as the engagement hooks are shorter, so it takes away a lot of that roll/camming to the SA break that some CZ's have.  On a Shadow, a pre-B 75 or an 85C, you can get it even shorter/crisper still (and with almost no trigger pre-travel if desired) because those models do not have the internal firing pin-block plunger safety.

I like the saiingle-action trigger from Armory Craft because they have set screws to adjust pre-travel, and you can get them i different colors.

Buddy just called me and ask about tristar S120 is this near the CZ quality are they as accurate, i know they are a few hundred dollars cheaper, yea..... no.......just asking

chet

Don't have any experience with the TriStar's, but if you want to ensure compatibility with aftermarket/replacement CZ parts, probably best to go with an actual CZ.

Edited by MoRivera

The S120 is built by Canik.  It is pretty similar to the CZ 75.  Some parts will be compatible.  Most will not.  Fortunately,  Cajun Gun Works has a full line of Canik Parts available.  Accuracy is pretty similar between a baseline 75 and a S120.  CGW does offer a 10x bushing specific to the Canik pistols to increase accuracy if you feel it is needed. To get a trigger anything close to a shadow you will need the CGW hammer and sear designed specifically for the Canik S120. The S120 does have a firing pin block where a shadow does not.  So the reset will probably be slightly longer (not a deal breaker IMO).

I have a Canik P100 that I carry from time to time.  It is a great pistol.  Fit and finish are superb.   Just don't expect a fully upgraded S120 to be the same as a fully tuned CZ Shadow from CZ custom.  For a first gun, especially if on a budget, it is a solid option. 

I know your friend said he can't afford a shadow 2 but CZ Custom has sp-01 shadows right now for quite a bit cheaper than shadow 2s. They have the all black versions for $880 and two tone ones for $850 on sale.  I think the shipping for them is less than $15 priority mail.  Nice guns and they come with 3 18 round mags.

7 hours ago, 1steelshooter said:

I know your friend said he can't afford a shadow 2 but CZ Custom has sp-01 shadows right now for quite a bit cheaper than shadow 2s. They have the all black versions for $880 and two tone ones for $850 on sale.  I think the shipping for them is less than $15 priority mail.  Nice guns and they come with 3 18 round mags.

thanks, will see him later today and tell him

chet