Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Pistol Project Question

Chuck D

Question...

If you were to build one single stack pistol to be used across the board at every level of match available for you to attend (i.e. not a pistol special built for a single match like Nationals), 

would you build a major or minor p.f. pistol and why would you go the route you've chosen. 

Thank you in advance for your input. 

Is ammo cost a concern? do you reload 9mm by the bushel? do you load 40 by the bushel?  how do you feel about recoil?

If the extra cost of 45 is no concern build a 45

If you shoot lots of 9mm and don't want to mess with changing loads build a 9mm

If you shoot limited and want to dabble in SS build a 40

If you love shooting a gun with very little recoil build a 9mm (yes it can be done with 40 but I see many reports of 10 round 40 minor not being 100%)

Major in 45.  Minor sucks.  45=big holes, softer recoil impulse, and from what i have seen, a much smaller tendency to finicky about ammo, mags etc.  I shot both for some time, and this is where i ended up.  That said i never had  a 40 1911, but i never seen one make it through a couple of matches without a glitch

40 S&W is not an option. I currently don't load for it nor do I want to make the investment to do so. 

I have 45acp presses and components by the truckload and 9mm is cheap enough to buy bulk factory stuff. 

Curious to know what one would choose as an all around competition pistol.

22 minutes ago, Chuck D said:

40 S&W is not an option. I currently don't load for it nor do I want to make the investment to do so. 

I have 45acp presses and components by the truckload and 9mm is cheap enough to buy bulk factory stuff. 

Curious to know what one would choose as an all around competition pistol.

9mm, doesn't give up enough often enough.

And more versatile in other games

Tough decision.  The traditionalist approach is to have at least one 1911 in .45acp. Some like the .40SW for ease in using the same ammo in Limited div.  But you can’t discount the sheer fun of shooting a 1911 chambered in 9mm.  Plus having a couple extra rounds can make a difference in stage planning and let you take more risk.  

I couldn’t decide, so I ended up with iterations of all three in my gun safe.  But I will say that I started with the .45acp and shot it for at least 2 years in SS before getting the urge to scratch the .40 and 9mm itch.  I shot the fo-five at a match not too long ago and it was just like hanging out with an old friend.  

9mm for sure. ;) 

There’s only two times at locals that .45 comes in handy:

1. If your match regularly sets up heavy poppers that f**k the Production guys.

2. If you’re looking to make a higher classification. Major is a huge advantage on classifiers - the extra 20% capacity isn’t an advantage like it is on field courses.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

9mm for sure. ;) 

There’s only two times at locals that .45 comes in handy:

1. If your match regularly sets up heavy poppers that f**k the Production guys.

2. If you’re looking to make a higher classification. Major is a huge advantage on classifiers - the extra 20% capacity isn’t an advantage like it is on field courses.

This is the best part of singlestack, I completely disagree with you, and it is ok. I made A class shooting 9 but in matches i much perfer the 45, to the  point i sold my 9 first, a while later i got out of ss all together. So for me its major all the way.

Oh, the worst part of ss is all the dang reloads, so now I shoot limited 🙂

Let me preference this by saying I’m only a b class shooter.

Major scoring is a big advantage for me as alpha/charlie very quickly is more fun and easier than concerning myself with trying to get two alpha.  It’s just easier to confirm an acceptable sight picture at any distance when a risk of a charlie is ok.  Someone could come along and say this is bunk and I couldn’t argue it but I value the fun factor and still hold my own locally and don’t embarrass myself at majors.  Major is just easier to get a better hit factor a vast percentage of the stages.

I've never had much luck with a single stack 9mm in either IDPA or USPSA and I have tried every magazine mfg available, tried every length, weight ammo and never fail to have a serious live round jam in a couple stages each match.

Dan Wesson PM9

I gave up....bought a 40, never looked back.

Major is worth it if your goal is to win higher-level matches and get classified high in SS because the points gained outweigh the rounds lost when targets get far and partial.  Guns in .40 can be finicky.  10-round minor .40 especially.  Small primer 45 ACP is from the devil.  A major SS is not as nice to shoot as a built-out Limited gun, but a good .45 comes close.

Minor, especially in 9 is much more fun shooting if that's what you're in it for.  Brass and bullets are cheap and everywhere.  Mags can be very finicky.   You can compare heads-up with Prod shooters.  Same load (or factory) works for USPSA, IPSC, IDPA, Steel Challenge and other random locap-friendly matches, but despite having a hose-friendly caliber, you can't hose or the points down kill your score.

Since you will not consider a 40sw, a 1911 bushing barrel in 45 ACP gives you the most options.  You can shoot bullseye centerfire and 45 legs with the gun.  It is a huge advantage in pin and 2x4 shoots.  In USPSA you can shoot Single Stack minor or major, or Limited 10 with a ten round mag.  CDP in IDPA is another you could shoot.  In Steel Challenge you can shoot Single Stack or Limited.  Outlaw steel matches abound.  When the rules say steel must fall to score, 45 is a huge advantage.  With a 9mm 1911 you would be at a disadvantage in some of these matches, and other classes would not be available to you.

The only downside to 45 in USPSA is at lost brass matches.  45 brass is more expensive than 40 or 9mm.

On 5/24/2019 at 1:44 PM, RJH said:

This is the best part of singlestack, I completely disagree with you, and it is ok.

If you disagree with him, it is only because you are bad at math. Major is a significant advantage in pretty much every classifier except 'can you count'.

At any rate, the whole premise of the OP is deeply flawed. Trying to do it all with 1 gun is a sign that one doesn't wear the pants in the house. The idea is to acquire MORE guns. The reasonable solution is to get a 45, and if you shoot alot of steel challenge, get a 9 too. and if you feel like it, get a 40. and maybe pick up a limited gun (and a pair of pants) while you're at the gun shop.  :cheers:

10 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

If you disagree with him, it is only because you are bad at math. Major is a significant advantage in pretty much every classifier except 'can you count'.

At any rate, the whole premise of the OP is deeply flawed. Trying to do it all with 1 gun is a sign that one doesn't wear the pants in the house. The idea is to acquire MORE guns. The reasonable solution is to get a 45, and if you shoot alot of steel challenge, get a 9 too. and if you feel like it, get a 40. and maybe pick up a limited gun (and a pair of pants) while you're at the gun shop.  :cheers:

Sounds like "Doodie" logic.

Thanks for that worthless response. 

Seriously. If you want to practice and be competitive, 45 all day. major is an advantage more often than it is a disadvantage.

OTOH, if you just want to screw around and shoot stuff for cheap, 9mm. sometimes it will be an advantage.

2 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

did your wife make you post that?  😝

I wouldn't know....too busy with yours at the moment. 😎

That being said, glad we both have a sense of humor. 

Edited by Chuck D

2 minutes ago, Chuck D said:

I wouldn't know....too busy with yours at the moment. 😎

she would also say 45. She shot 9mm at a big 1911-only match here last month, and suffered somewhat when it came to the spinners. At least the gun ran tho. I have shot tens of thousands of rounds of both 9mm and 45, and 9mm is much trickier to get working perfectly. I think the only 45 malfunction I have ever had was due to a broken slide-stop.

Edited by motosapiens

32 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

Most classifiers are stand and shoot, therefore picking up As is easier. And if you are planning on moving up in classification you need to be shooting As in classifiers anyway.

Major is generally an advantage on field courses because it frees movement (imperfect sight picture don't hurt as much) and there is also more time to reload.

So my math is fine, but feel free to disagree, that is the nice part about single stack

2 minutes ago, RJH said:

Most classifiers are stand and shoot, therefore picking up As is easier. And if you are planning on moving up in classification you need to be shooting As in classifiers anyway.

One can easily score well in classifiers with a few charlies (if shooting major).  You only need to shoot A's if you can do it without spending more than an extra 1/10 second to do it. The only real advantage to minor is in round count. It will never allow you to shoot fast enough to overcome the PF disadvantage except in situations where it is expected to get all alphas (can you count, or all zebra targets, or all steel).