Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PSA AKV....anyone?

On 6/4/2019 at 8:36 AM, TRUBL said:

PSA is in the process of doing a +15 extension for their magazine to get it up to 50 rounds.......HOPEFULLY, they will be stackable so you can get 65  :) Of course I already have tons of Scorpion mags and have a few with the TACCOM coupler to get 50+ rounds, so I personally am set (for now).

Anyways.......I did take the AKV to the Hornady Zombie match and it worked flawlessly!! Got home and finished up tot he build today: Zhukov-U forearm, K2 grip, Luth-AR stock, TACCOM mid brake barrel extension, ALG trigger, Bushnell Lil Pris and a left hand charge handle......as well as a new yet to be released recoil cushion has made this AKV a formidable choice of weapon for USPSA PCC competition!!!....And yes, it has been drop dead reliable with the Scorpion magazines too. I'll be switching the optics over to a Holosun as well as cutting off the front sight (it's obnoxious). Comes in at just under 8#......would be less if I swapped out the stock for something somewhat lighter. Recoil is light and comes back stupid flat.....Overall, impressed with the performance.

Tim, What size mid-brake extension are you running (5.5", 6")? 

Also, any eta on the recoil cushion? 

I'm in the market for a backup PCC, and may run an AKV or a Ruger PC. 

Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/13/2019 at 2:51 PM, OPENB said:

Anymore going on with the AK-V? I keep looking at it, trying to resist. It’s been in and out f my cart several times today. 

Did you ever do it? 

17 minutes ago, 021411 said:

Same here. Placed my order for the same. I already have the mag release. 

Me too.  I accidentally ordered an extra bolt release because I didn't notice it came with the magwell until after I placed order. Maybe I'll just return it, it's only 20 bucks.

4 hours ago, TRUBL said:

Did you ever do it? 

Yes I did! Got a black MOE pistol. ATF just emailed me that my Form 1 is approved, so going to get it engraved and pick up a CTR stock. I got the ALG trigger from you, just haven’t put it in yet. I saw all the goodies are available now at PSA. Look great!

On 5/25/2019 at 9:45 AM, TRUBL said:
On 5/24/2019 at 2:45 PM, TRUBL said:

Probably not an AKV.....probably the other variant (which is trash). I am impressed with how reliable this is and how soft it shoots. It really needs a trigger though, which is coming.

Buddy has one. The factory trigger is ABYSMAL. But with an ALG and a few other mods...

I actually like the factory trigger on the AK-V, it's not heavy but it does have a longer 'throw' and reset.  No real wall.  It's fun on plates and steel.  But for gaming and really fast double-taps, yeah it probably needs the ALG trigger which I have but haven't replaced yet.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, chrome45 said:

Which optic/ optic height are you guys running on your AK-V?

I run it pretty much on the deck if it's a T1-type red dot, so on a base/low mount if it's a reflex/rmr-type.  With the AR-style 'buffer' tube and a normal cheek-weld on an SBA3 brace, the receiver and iron sights are pretty much at the ideal height, so I don't need a lower-1/3rd riser like I would on an AR.  Unfortunately, I can't remove or flip down the iron sights like with an AR, so they take up some of the sighting window.

Note: Some sights like the Hololsun 403 series (and/or ones with a battery 'tray' on the bottom) sit a bit higher on their low mounts than your typical T1 type.  So that gives a bit more clearance over the irons while still being at a comfortable height with cheek weld.

IMG_2109.thumb.JPG.a839e67bfb92333b594731eb22cad737.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, sduke said:

Hey guys I am new to the forum here. I am looking for a replacement Handguard for my akv. Are any out there? I have large hands and you know what they say. Large hands..... large grip! Thanks in advance

There are a lot of options, including basically any sort of aftermarket hand guard for an AKM.  What do you have currently, the Magpul?  The Billet rail that comes from PSA is larger overall than many aftermarket rails, but if you get your thumb up on top it will probably block your iron sight picture. If you have an optic with a riser less of an issue.  They go out of stock quickly, though.

image.thumb.png.0d8d921279329bb8040f9b99147b68bb.png

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-custom-series-ak-billet-aluminum-handguard6.html

image.png.1972b55bba1b950c6888e564a56a8643.png

Edited by MoRivera
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, dwzuspsa said:

Rim what are the rules about changing the pistol to a rifle lunth barrel?

you can do that.....16" barrel and a regular stock will make it a rifle. You just can't go the other way.

Tim

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I own 5 PCCs (2 QC10s, Fx9, Tavor X95) & the AKV is my favorite.  I've had it about 15 months and have shot over a dozen matches with it.  It is the most reliable and most flat shooting blow-back carbine I have handled.  

Specs:  ALG trigger, Brekke Comp, C-More 4 MOA, SLR handguard, Midwest Alpha stock, Taccom buffer

I don't have a magwell on it since I almost exclusively run Magpul D50 EV9 drums.

May be an image of text

Edited by GSonnen