Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optic Cut Prints?

Tophernj

I'm going to attempt to mill my Glock for a Vortex Venom.  Does anyone have a print or know where to find one?  I would love to have it for reference.  

Thanks in advance.

On 5/24/2019 at 5:50 AM, Rez805 said:

The vortex website has a diagram. It's under "product manual 2" (pdf).

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-venom-red-dot.html

That's what I used for milling a Glock for one of these as well.

FYI to the OP - 0.140" is a good depth for milling if you don't have that part figured out already. I use the same depth for RMR, DPP, and Vortex optics in Glock slides. 

Those Vortex optics need locating pins. If you're not set up to mill out the pin bosses (CNC) you'll need to drill and insert pins; this is easiest to do a front and rear pin on the left side. Two pins is adequate for constraining the optic, and avoids any interference with the extractor plunger channel on the right side. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/26/2019 at 2:43 AM, Yondering said:

FYI to the OP - 0.140" is a good depth for milling if you don't have that part figured out already. I use the same depth for RMR, DPP, and Vortex optics in Glock slides. 

Those Vortex optics need locating pins. If you're not set up to mill out the pin bosses (CNC) you'll need to drill and insert pins; this is easiest to do a front and rear pin on the left side. Two pins is adequate for constraining the optic, and avoids any interference with the extractor plunger channel on the right side. 

Thank you.  

I am considering adding pins.  Good advice on the 2 pins on the left.  Much appreciated.  

• 3 months later...

Can you drill and tap 2 more holes and mound the rmr in the vortex venom cut ? Or are the holes going to overlap ? Any idea?

Can you drill and tap the footprint for the  rmr in an existing vortex venom cut without the holes overlapping ?

On 10/8/2019 at 7:42 PM, jonjonna678732 said:

Can you drill and tap 2 more holes and mound the rmr in the vortex venom cut ? Or are the holes going to overlap ? Any idea?

I'm not sure about the holes overlapping, but the slide cutout doesn't match at all. That cutout needs to be a precise fit to the optic; that's what holds it in place. The screws just hold it down, but the edges of the cutout do all the work in constraining the optic front/rear and side/side. 

The Vortex uses pins to locate it. The RMR can use pins, but they are wide enough that you can't really drill and pin a Glock slide for an RMR if that surface is already miled flat; the pin holes would break though the edges of the slide. 

If you aren't using pins to locate the optic on a flat surface (as in MOS system, etc) then this is the kind of fit you need: 

B10nyzR.jpg

Edited by Yondering