Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Have I been reloading wrong for 16 years?

Scubagrif

I use imperial sizing wax for rifle rounds. It works great for that. For pistol I use DCL thinned with alcohol. In a pinch I have used imperial sizing wax for pistol too. Lube 1 case in 10 and things run smoothly. 

Just another alternative 

Never used lube with carbide dies.  It's why paid extra for carbide sizing dies, so I didn't have to mess with lubing them.

I always lube rifle cases.  Use RCBS or Hornaday lube (the gooey/sticky stuff in the small bottles.)  Tried the Lee resizing lube and that's some messy stuff, but it works.

I had a set of Lee 9MM carbide dies that was like resizing rifle cases.  Wear you out after awhile.  I considered lubing for those but just bought a set of RCBS 9MM dies with a carbide resizing die and that solved that problem.  "Normal" now, as compared to the other revolver and pistol cartridges I reload.

3 hours ago, M1A4ME said:

Never used lube with carbide dies.  It's why paid extra for carbide sizing dies, so I didn't have to mess with lubing them.

That's why I bought carbide too, but using case lube makes the process so much smoother.

On 5/24/2019 at 7:05 AM, 12glocks said:

On a tangent I buy the Dillon Case Lubricant in bulk for trimming brass with my Dillon power trimmer (for rifle).  I do not believe it makes the same claims as One Shot about not affecting the propellant so I only use that for brass trimming.  I will have to go read the label on that product...

I am curious as to why you lube rifle case for trimming...

I lube both rifle and pistol cases for sizing, but never heard of using lube for trimming...

jj

33 minutes ago, RiggerJJ said:

I am curious as to why you lube rifle case for trimming...

I lube both rifle and pistol cases for sizing, but never heard of using lube for trimming...

jj

A DILLON electric brass trimmer also sizes your rifle brass so it must be lubricated. I learned that the hard way and didn’t lube my first case. That was stuck in my trim die “with no chance of pulling it out” for about 3 hours until DILLON suggested drilling it out. I read the directions more closely and ask a lot more questions these days before loading a new caliber that I’m not familiar with.

Ah, ok. I run rifle brass thru a processing head with full length sizer/decaper,  then swage, and finally Dillon power trim on a single head. The sizer/decaper is set to size about 3/4 of the sizing job, and the trim die does the rest. Lube is applied generously for this... :)

Edited by RiggerJJ

On 5/24/2019 at 9:03 PM, Sarge said:

You’re not the only guy but close to it.😂

Lube makes things so much easier on the press, the body, the brass, etc. makes oal more consistent as well. Most who swear by not lubing generally change their minds after trying it.

I used the oneshot in a gallon ziplock method today while loading up some 9mm and it made a very noticeable difference in how smooth and easy my press ran.  It also appears to have made my OAL more consistent.   I'll admit it. I was doing it wrong,  lol. 

Didn’t see it mentioned but moved from one shot to brass juice and couldn’t be happier. Slicks cases up good, no need to tumble lube off after loading, and it has a refreshing minty smell hahaha. I agree with the zip lock bag method of applying lube as well. 

12 hours ago, Code3FPV said:

I used the oneshot in a gallon ziplock method today while loading up some 9mm and it made a very noticeable difference in how smooth and easy my press ran.  It also appears to have made my OAL more consistent.   I'll admit it. I was doing it wrong,  lol. 

Meh, wrong is a strong word. We may argue and bitch and moan at each other but most of us are here to help. 

Glad you were willing to give the suggestion a try

dillon if you go to far/to much leaves a much greater residue that more strongly attracts dirt and goo. it is tacky in a different way and also stains things a little. it doesn't really have a smell.

one shot if you go to far/too much doesn't create as many potential issues. it does have a smell.

i really only load 9mm, on a 1050 w dillon dies. i started with dillon, then homebrew and now have used one shot for 2 years. i am sticking with one shot.

I usually use One Shot and haven't had any issue with it whatsoever. For rifle brass, I fill a 50rd loading block up, give it a couple side-to-side sprays at a 45deg  downward angle, turn the block around, and do it again. I give a it a few seconds to dry before dropping it in the case feeder. Makes sizing and bullet seating really quick and easy. For pistol brass, I drop about 100 rounds in a shoebox and shake them around while I'm spraying them down.

Edited by zander1555

On 5/25/2019 at 8:44 AM, jschweg said:

Another vote for the plastic bag method.

I just generously spray in inside of a gallon plastic bag with One Shot, dump a bunch of cases in, and then work the lube on the cases by squeezing the bag.

The lube doesn't get inside the cases this way, so the powder won't stick to the sides of the cases when measuring charges.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I do the same except I just shake the bag around for a few seconds to get lube on all the cases and throw them in the feeder.

4 hours ago, ManOnTarget said:

The home made lube seems like a great idea. That being said Ive been using my bottle of dillon lube for about 10000 rounds now and it still hasnt run dry!

Pour some 99% alcohol in there and get much more life out of it!

• 2 weeks later...