Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Movement Drill

Looks pretty good to me [emoji6] 

I find it kind of hard to judge my own movement without a timer.
Thanks. I've been training a lot for movement and reloads on the move since my last match. It's my low hanging fruit. I'm getting beat by time not points. And although my split times can be faster, analysis of my stage runs compared to the guys beating me, its moving within the stage where they have me beat. If I can execute like this in my next match, I think I will move up quite a bit in scoring amongst the other Production shooters. We shall see.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Explode out of your position!!!

Thanks. The problem I'm facing when I explode out is I often fumble the reload. A friend and M class shooter that watched the video suggested I pull the mag as I exit. Then insert in the last two steps as I enter the next position. This will allow me to explode out and then insert as I am coming to a stop.

I am gonna work on this today. See if it works better for me.

You plant extremely hard which causes massive movement in the sights on entry. This will slow you down on your first shots if you are truly aiming... or more likely... cause poor hits or mikes in matches.

Work on deceleration steps and soft entries to help with that. It will decrease time dramatically when done correctly. It will also allow a better base to explode out of for existing. Not to mention it keeps you lower in position vs. stand up so tall. Which causes loss of time on both the stand up and the squat back down to explode out.

You plant extremely hard which causes massive movement in the sights on entry. This will slow you down on your first shots if you are truly aiming... or more likely... cause poor hits or mikes in matches.

Work on deceleration steps and soft entries to help with that. It will decrease time dramatically when done correctly. It will also allow a better base to explode out of for existing. Not to mention it keeps you lower in position vs. stand up so tall. Which causes loss of time on both the stand up and the squat back down to explode out.
Thanks for the feedback. I am definitely aiming during these drills. I don't recall my sites moving too much on entry but something I will watch for.

A lot of this foot movement is the same as baseball. Played for the first 25 years of life but it's been at least 10 years since I've thrown a ball around. This is the first sport I've done in years that requires starts and stops like this. Not much of that in surfing. Ha.

Where is your visual focus when moving to your next position? It needs to be at a fixed point on the ground. That point on the ground should be where your planted foot lands.

I will echo the others in saying that you need to explode  out of position. Insert the mag while decelerating at the new position if you need to. 

• 2 weeks later...
Where is your visual focus when moving to your next position? It needs to be at a fixed point on the ground. That point on the ground should be where your planted foot lands.

I will echo the others in saying that you need to explode  out of position. Insert the mag while decelerating at the new position if you need to. 
I'm still overly focused on the reload. Especially at shorter distances. I see my entry position but in my periphery. My eyes are on the magwell until I've reloaded.

I started working on dropping/pulling the mag at exit and then inserting on entry but it needs more work. Been busy so haven't had time but to practice this once in live fire and a couple time in dry. However, I've been working on shorter movement reloads in dry, in the house during conference calls for work. I think this is helping get the reload while moving into my subconscious more.
Try it without the gun. You have a lot more speed in you.
I am glad you mention this. I bought some cones and am actually going to start running drills without the gun. Good workout but also to remind myself of what it feels like to move at speed, work on my footwork. Just like when I played baseball. Like I said, it's been a while since I had a reason to burst like this.

This stuff is useful, but my experience suggests that you don't have to be moving super quickly to get somewhere (ready to shoot) sooner. This is especially true for short movements. Pay attention to the time between shots when you move, not the perceived time between positions. You can pick up some time by simply shifting your weight and loading up your outside leg as you are shooting the last target, so you are ready to get going immediately.

On 6/10/2019 at 7:07 PM, motosapiens said:

This stuff is useful, but my experience suggests that you don't have to be moving super quickly to get somewhere (ready to shoot) sooner. This is especially true for short movements. Pay attention to the time between shots when you move, not the perceived time between positions. You can pick up some time by simply shifting your weight and loading up your outside leg as you are shooting the last target, so you are ready to get going immediately.

I think thats very true!

• 5 months later...

I'm still pretty new at all this stuff and learning. You're right. One thing I'm struggling with is shorter movements. I find myself trying to move fast and overshooting the position or not have the gun ready to shoot when I should.
Going to sound lame, but you look tense toward the end. Loose is where the speed is at on the reloads I’m finding finally after being told it as well. 
Not lame at all. I'm more relaxed now than when I shot this video but I still find myself way too tense at times. Again, still learning and finding my comfort level shooting these matches. But staying relaxed is one of the things I have to remind myself to do.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

you need to be ready to shoot sooner as you are coming into position instead of waiting until you are hard set. 
This for you looks like you need get your grip re-established a couple steps sooner. 
Also once you regrip get the gun up, and take a couple short choppy steps at the end to have a more smoothed out momentum into position.
Once your vision is on target you can begin engaging without being fully set up if you are coming in lower/smoother and already have a good grip.