Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, davsco said:

yeah especially that last row with the real tiny triangles, sux standing and shooting at one thing.  i'd much rather have to run from a 6 plate rack to another 6 plate rack to another 6 plate rack.

Although I know you're being facetious I still agree with you. Though a stage consisting of 3 plate racks falls squarely in the ultra lazy design category.

Edited by TonytheTiger

1 minute ago, Chuck Anderson said:

If the target is that small of a part of the stage, I have a much easier time justifying it.  Make the stage shorter, and that gadget the all important part, less OK with it.  

Agreed. A match I shot Sunday had a death star, but it was a 40ish round all shotgun stage, so the star itself wasn't a drag on reset (it was one of the first targets and got reset while the shooter moved forward) and it didn't make or break the stage.

My take on stage design is that it's all about balance.  Gadgets are fine as long as they don't dominate.  Same with box to box, standards, hoser, precision etc.  I shot a match recently where almost every one of the rifle targets was a mini target with a no shoot covering all but the head.  Basically you had a 2" square to shoot at, and if you missed low, which almost everyone did, it was a huge penalty.  It took the fun out of shooting rifle at the match.  Do it on a stage or two, or even a target or two on every stage, no issues.  But when that is the only thing tested with the rifle it becomes a bit of a snooze.  

Speaking of no shoots, I can't help but wonder if the MD at Sundays match had seen all my whining in this thread. I haven't seen a no shoot at his match in quite a while but they were present Sunday, in just enough quantity to mix it up without killing the fun. Also had aerial clays and more pistol shooting than usual. It was a pretty well balanced match and the presence of the death star didn't hurt at all.

1 hour ago, Ming the Merciless said:

I just finished shooting the Limcat UML District 1 match.  The match was very good-NO DEATH STARS although it did have one Texas star, and one polish plate rack, for either shotgun, handgun or PCC and two spinners, one for rifle, the other for handgun or PCC.  Pete Resing designed the stages and they were very reminiscent of the fast speed racer type of early 3 Gun Nation stages that got me shooting 3 Gun.  I really like the USSL/UML stages, lots of choices of which gun to shoot which targets in large shooting areas with a few hard leans, tight shots, and some offhand rifle at 50ish yards on small plates and not a lot of gimmicks.  There should be some youtube videos up by now.

So if you're tired of the shoot this from that box 3 Gun, try some USSL/UML matches.

I'll look for some vids, that sounds like a good time. 

UML is popping up in my area and I'm warming up to it, but to be honest the stage designs are pretty similar to pre-UML. Not that thats a bad thing.

1 hour ago, TonytheTiger said:

Although I know you're being facetious I still agree with you. Though a stage consisting of 3 plate racks falls squarely in the ultra lazy design category.

not facetious, i love running around and shooting stuff, hate standing still and shooting stuff (double or triple layer plate rack, spinner).

23 minutes ago, davsco said:

not facetious, i love running around and shooting stuff, hate standing still and shooting stuff (double or triple layer plate rack, spinner).

I thought I was picking up on sarcasm, my bad. 

Agreed on stationary shooting being boring.

I think goofy targets (spinners, stars, etc.) are fine, but they don’t by themselves make a good stage and too many of them can ruin a stage. 

Either your stage design is good or it isn’t. Throwing props at a stage doesn’t always make it better. 

That said, occasionally a stand and shoot stage using those kinds of targets can be interesting, as long as it isn’t overused.