Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoiling up and right

JamesEM

When I shoot the sights move up and to the right. If I change my grip a little and move my right hand further to the right the sights go more up and down. However the gun doesn't feel as solid with that grip and I can't shoot as accurately. I'm sure I'm not the only one suffering from recoil going up and to the right. Is there a common fix of just keep messing with my grip?

15 hours ago, JamesEM said:

When I shoot the sights move up and to the right. If I change my grip a little and move my right hand further to the right the sights go more up and down. However the gun doesn't feel as solid with that grip and I can't shoot as accurately. I'm sure I'm not the only one suffering from recoil going up and to the right. Is there a common fix of just keep messing with my grip?

As long as the sights come back to where they started. Even using a red dot, it can go all over the place, as long as it comes back to where it started. Ideal is straight up and down, if one can get that to work.

What I have found is to take a single shot, stop and hold grip and see where everything stops. Is it the same as where it started? Grip is a big factor along with recoil spring, load and practice, practice, practice. Then after all that, it's double tap time. 🤪

Edited by Lastcat

As noted above, it doesn't really matter if they track straight up and down as long as they return to exactly where you left them.

Grip harder with both hands. Grab the gun like it knocked up your little sister. If you get trigger freeze, relax your strong hand just a little. Seriously, grab it harder than you think you should.

Thanks guys. I watched all the H Kim videos on grip and have been working on locking the wrist which has helped a lot. I spent about 600 rounds over the last week trying to get the sights to move straight up and down. Won't waste much more time on that. 

From an old one-hand bullseye shooter - but applicable here... a shot moving up and right... for a right-hand shooter  ( the OP didn't specify, but indicated they were right handed)... is called "heeling the gun". The strong hand grip pressure applied is hard, and to the lower back of the gun, which drives the muzzle up and, for a right hand shooter, to the right. Try backing off on right hand grip pressure (no Death Grip) and applying more pressure with the left (support hand) to hold the gun down. Too much right-hand grip pressure will, for a right hand shooter, push things high and right. Grip pressure for a freestyle hold should be no more than 40% strong hand, and the rest support hand.

On 5/23/2019 at 8:57 PM, JamesEM said:

If I change my grip a little and move my right hand further to the right the sights go more up and down. 

Can u elaborate on this? Im trying to envision how you are moving your hand further to the right....

As to your issue, I can sympathize. My sights move up and to the right as well, and am hopefully closer to correcting the issue.

What helped me was keeping in mind what happens to the pistol when I shoot it only with my right hand (I am right handed) - it goes up and to the left. From that I inferred that when shooting freestyle I am either applying more overall pressure with my left hand or less with my right hand. Gripping harder with my right hand/stiffening my right wrist drove the sights straight up and down......

YMMV

I am right handed. My moving my grip around I meant turning my hand to where it gave me more finger on the trigger. I wasn't trying to get more or less finger on the trigger just adjusting the way the gun was in my hands. 

36 minutes ago, JamesEM said:

I am right handed. My moving my grip around I meant turning my hand to where it gave me more finger on the trigger. I wasn't trying to get more or less finger on the trigger just adjusting the way the gun was in my hands. 

As in rotating your right hand slightly anticlockwise?