Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil spring for Tanfoglio Stock I/II/III

I tried 8lb spring and the gun was sluggish on return.  Liked the 9lb but they would crap out pretty quick.  10 lb is where I ended up for a compromise of feel, reliabiliy, and replacement interval.  To get the light weight springs to run well I think you need to really polish the rails, breechface, etc.  I'd rather just shoot.

10 hours ago, leemoe83 said:

I tried 8lb spring and the gun was sluggish on return.  Liked the 9lb but they would crap out pretty quick.  10 lb is where I ended up for a compromise of feel, reliabiliy, and replacement interval.  To get the light weight springs to run well I think you need to really polish the rails, breechface, etc.  I'd rather just shoot.

Same here, settle on 10 lb and change it twice a year

I have been using 8lbs since day one on all my Stock 2s. For 120k rounds I have seen no slide/frame dmg many worried about. My current practice gun has over 100k on it and still runs like new. I recall Eric recommended in one his classes/podcasts to use the lightest recoil spring that cycles 100% in your setup.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Another set of data points: I have a S2 and S3 and I like 147 Blues and Plated, 158 plated (technically 38s) and 165 Xtremes.

For the heaviest bullets with  fast powder, 6lbs and 7lbs actually work very well.  I had them milled for CO and the dot is actually very controlled with pretty much no dot dip at the end of the slide locking in to battery.  For 124s or lighter, definitely start at 8 and go up.  To double check myself, I'll use ultra slow motion mode on my phone and record the gun to see if its 'matches' what 'it feels like.'  Worth trying too.

• 5 weeks later...

I wanted to try out a 6 lb spring.  I read on this forum the 6 lb spring is longer (long slide).  When I got the spring today I found it was shorter than the 8 & 9 lb springs (all new). Shorter by a coil or two.  Is this normal?

• 10 months later...
On 10/19/2019 at 10:35 PM, oddjob said:

I wanted to try out a 6 lb spring.  I read on this forum the 6 lb spring is longer (long slide).  When I got the spring today I found it was shorter than the 8 & 9 lb springs (all new). Shorter by a coil or two.  Is this normal?

As I recall, the long slide springs are almost the same length but are generally a little longer out of the bag than a normal length.  I wouldnt worry about length at all - they will all change over time and if you are really in to consistency, you should change your recoil spring every 6 months.  

• 4 weeks later...

I ran 10lb for years, then tried a 9 and an 8lb in my stock2’.  If the gun is worked in , go with an 8lb using 147gr at 131 pf.  For factory ammo in 147gr, I would say try the 10lb.  (Likely 144pf).

my open gun (domina 9mm major), I run the same 8lb spring that I run in the s2.  I have even thought a 7lb might be doable in the open gun, as it dips slightly when it returns to battery. 

Edited by Maurice

• 2 weeks later...