Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil spring for Tanfoglio Stock I/II/III

What recoil spring weight is helpful for smooth recoil impulse?

While I’m new at pistol shooting, it feels like I can’t shoot quickly with stock recoil spring.  It’s very possible my grip is what I need to modify and leave the pistol stock. 

After breaking each shot, sights don’t come back to the target...I have to reacquire, re-align sights, then break the next shot...

For reference, I’m running the following loads:

115gr RN

6.5gr HS-6

various cases

CCI/Fed SPP

Edited by Localizer

I have a 9lb in my Stock II and like it well enough, but I recently got a Limited Custom in .40 and ended up with a 6lb in that.  When I shoot the Stock II now, racing the slide feels heavy, but the sight still returns well enough so I should probably leave it well enough alone.  Who knows, I may try an 8 or lower just to see.

Thanks guys.  

My pistol are Tanfoglio Stock III. I also have a Stock I.

I guess I need a long slide and standard slide lengths.

For Stock III: ?
Stock I: ?

sorry for asking too many questions.
Stock 1 and 2 have 4.5" barrels. They use the standard length springs.

Stock 3 and Lim Pro have 4.75" barrels which require the extended length recoil springs.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I went out and practiced yesterday. I also brought with me a 6lb recoil spring to test out the recoil impulse and effect on speed and noticed the following:

1. A lighter recoil spring increases felt recoil! I was surprised by that.
2. As a newbie I could feel the change in recoil impulse...more later.
3. The 6lb recoil spring is too light for a Tanfoglio Stock III...it cussed hangups and FTFs.
4. The lower spring tension makes tracking the slide almost effortless...very nice actually!

I have ordered 8lb recoil springs per advise here.

I’ll update on how it turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off, are you competing where a minimum power factor is mandated?  if so, i wouldn't go below 124gr bullet. The "smoothest" recoil will be 147gr at 130 power factor.

Recoil spring rate is a relationship between the smoothness of the gun's action, the ammo used and the shooter's grip.  my ideal spring may be 7# and your's 10. 

Test by filming the gun from the side, while firing a 5-6 rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger.  literally. 

Watch the video and see if the gun climbed or sank.  climbing needs a stronger spring. Sinking weaker.  ideally minimal up/down motion is seen.

I’m just shooting production.

I went back and looked more closely at Quickload. Given my barrel length, I can reduce my 115gr load to 6.0gr and 124gr bullet to 5.0gr make minor power factor.

i just need to work through about 1,200rds I loaded to factory specs...sigh.

10 minutes ago, johnbu said:

Paradoxically the lightest bullet gives the harshest recoil (when power factor is held constant).

Because "power factor" is a momentum formula, not actually power. To achieve the same momentum, a lighter bullet has to have more energy/power, which affects what the shooter feels. If he's loaded to factory spec (closer to equal power rather than equal momentum), the difference is a lot less pronounced and the light bullet may feel softer. 

Edited by Yondering

Cool, I'm glad to see that's well understood here. I've noticed on other forums the common take-away for a lot of guys is just "heavier bullets recoil softer" while ignoring the "when power factor is held constant" part. Those guys are usually referring to factory ammo, so the power factor is not constant. 

Yeah, I understand the concept of momentum very well...I really should have looked at the numbers (powder charge, bbl length, and velocities) to settle on a powder and bullet selection.

My selection was made on the basis of safety (no double charge), & economy (115gr cheaper)...

I didn’t know till I started shooting matches that performance (per 1st paragraph) was just as important as my other criteria.

I’ll go practice w reduced charges of HS-6 & 124s I have on hand and report back.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

I bought 8lb long wolf spring for my 9mm stock2 my power factor is 135 with a 125 gr bullet. It works  fine so far and my follow up shots are perfect. I’m worried that it might hit the frame and mess something up . Does anybody use a shock buffer is this something I shouldn’t worry about ? 

Edited by 3Bob

On 8/28/2019 at 10:59 AM, 3Bob said:

I bought 8lb long wolf spring for for my 9mm stock2 my power factor is 135 with a 125 gr bullet. It works  fine so far and my follow up shots are perfect. I’m worried that it might hit the frame and mess something up . Does anybody use a shock buffer is this something I shouldn’t worry about ? 

I've never used a shockbuff in a Tanfo but I like the 10 lb over the 8. It's just too light and I don't want the extra wear and tear on the frame. 

On 8/28/2019 at 10:59 AM, 3Bob said:

I bought 8lb long wolf spring for for my 9mm stock2 my power factor is 135 with a 125 gr bullet. It works  fine so far and my follow up shots are perfect. I’m worried that it might hit the frame and mess something up . Does anybody use a shock buffer is this something I shouldn’t worry about ? 

Your 8lb long spring will probably be little heavier in a stock 2/compared to standard length spring

8 hours ago, Polymer said:

Your 8lb long spring will probably be little heavier in a stock 2/compared to standard length spring

I been using the 8lb long spring at practice and it work great . I fired 600rds and my frame seems to be fine so far . I notice the guide rod has a tiny burr on it cause the trigger return spring is a bit long and needs filed down just a hair to keep it away from the guide rod hole . I think what I’m going to do is use a 10lb standard recoil spring for practicing to keep wear off my frame and just to be safe like tpd88 said and use the 8lb spring in Major Matches for the better follow up shots. But I found out you don’t need to run a buffer with the 8lb spring anything lighter then 8 maybe I would use a buffer. That’s my experience Thank you guys for any info. 

Edited by 3Bob

Have been running a 10 for a long time as this is what Xtreme’s come with. Very nice but today tried 6 and 8lb.

Initial impressions led me to leave the 8 in for today’s match. All 3 run and function reliably in my Xtreme.

8 returned sights nicer and faster to point of aim with a 125gn projectile than the 6. Ran really nice for the entire match, follow up shots went well.

Got a few of each spring but I already feel the 8 is the ideal balance for my load and me and an improvement from the 10. Time will tell.