Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X5 Legion announced! Q5 Match SF competitor?

mellino19

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Rolex said:

Agreed 

Didn't somebody mention they stopped using this barrel on the legion?

I'm just waiting for SWFA to get TXG modules in so I can convert my X5 into a legion 😛 Already have DPP cut.

4 hours ago, Zoomie517 said:

For starters they can throw every x5 Legion barrel with the LCI in the trash can so it quits clouding up my DPP! 

I agree!  Got mine today and noticed before I got 100 rounds through it I was cleaning off the lens of the DPP.

Other that that I’m totally impressed with this gun.  Very well balanced, accurate, and a pleasure to shoot. Looking forward to using it as a carry optic gun Saturday in a SC match and Sunday for USPSA. 

I took a Level II practical pistol class on Saturday at Patriot Shooting Academy. Gilbert Perez and Paul Kerr taught the class. 

Tried Cat Crap on the lens of my DPP as I was told it would help to keep gasses from sticking. Stuff did not help at all so save your 8.00 and don't waste your time.

Some additional perceptions on the X5 Legion..........

For me, the gun is absolutely amazing. We spent a lot of time working on learning our individual cadance and learning to throttle. The more I stopped trying to overdrive the gun, the more accurate and the faster drew and shot. For a new practical shooter (only 2 USPSA matches under my belt) it inspired massive confidence. 

Gilbert and Paul helped me take my standing draw and fire from 1.45 seconds to a 'step in to box' draw/fire of .99. I know this isnt big boy fast but for a 56 year old shooter, I was beyond ecstatic. These guys kept pushing me all day long until the wheels would come off, then tell me to reel it back in a hair. 

And finally, I handed my bone stock X5 Legion to Paul Kerr with a full mag. A guy that shoots single stack at insane speeds. Stone cold, he was banging steels at 10 yards with what sounded like full auto speeds. All with the stock trigger. 

I told Paul dont touch my stuff as it makes me feel like an idiot. :0

1 hour ago, Rolex said:

I am holding off on the Legion, hoping they will do something about that LCI barrel  

I can’t say I blame you but I suspect you’ll be holding your breath for an awful long time. They are deflecting the issue by saying it’s the DPP’s weakness for having glass too close. And that their new wiz bang Optics (Whenever it releases) will not be an issue. 

Im holding for now on having a barrel fitted because it’s more of an irritant than a real problem, at least for a match. 

Got my Legion this past weekend, although I have not had a chance to shoot it yet.

I like what I see, but will definitely need to add the silicon carbide treatment to the grip. It is slippery in my hands, and the grip need thickening for sure.

Weight-wise, I was pretty surprised. My original X5 has the Shooting Sports Innovation Tungsten Grip and their Tungsten Grip weight, *AND* the Springer Tungsten guide rod. That's a lot of tungsten!!!

And yet even though the stock Legion did not have an optic on it, it only weighed 1.2 oz less than my Tungsten "frankenstein" gun that had a Romeo 1 with the steel shroud. I weighed both with an empty 23 round mag (SIG 21 rd with the TT basepad and Grams spring and follower).

qObN21f.jpg?1

KHYiPlC.jpg?1

Now that is pretty impressive! Once I add an optic, I still have some room to play before I hit the limit I am thinking. Might have to play around with adding the tungsten grip weight or the tungsten guide rod. First thing though is to add the silicon carbide to the grip and see what that does to the weight.

2 hours ago, Rolex said:

I am holding off on the Legion, hoping they will do something about that LCI barrel  

A very very reputable source told me that Sig will NOT be making barrels without the LCI. I have another plan 

42 minutes ago, Posvar said:

A very very reputable source told me that Sig will NOT be making barrels without the LCI. I have another plan 

If you buy a legion and have a previous X5 why not just build a Frankenstein X5?

16 hours ago, Zoomie517 said:

I can’t say I blame you but I suspect you’ll be holding your breath for an awful long time. They are deflecting the issue by saying it’s the DPP’s weakness for having glass too close. And that their new wiz bang Optics (Whenever it releases) will not be an issue. 

Im holding for now on having a barrel fitted because it’s more of an irritant than a real problem, at least for a match. 

To bad- NOW does the glass take a hit from the brass- my x5 did with the Romeo 1 on it- broke the glass also.

Finally took out the legion and in less than 100 rounds I had a visible streak up the window of the deltapoint from the LCI hole, bummer. Guess I’ll just have to remember to wipe it every stage. Other than that this gun is amazing to shoot. Even with my open minor Ammo that runs around 145 PF it was a breeze to shoot. We also had a local stage+classifier match tonight and a buddy forgot his holster for limited so I let him borrow the legion and shoot CO, now he says he wants to buy TXG grip modules for all his 320’s. Lol

So I’ve probably mentioned here or on another Legion post about why not make a FrankenX5 if you don’t want the LCI. Well my module came today and I put my gun together and did a weigh-in. 

I have a previous gen X5 with a slide cut for a DPP, I made a custom mag catch button thanks to a post on here, and added a *thumb rest [generic]* since it’s legal and why not?

With a 21rd mag and TTI baseplate, I weigh in at 44.8 ounces. If I use a 17rd with a TTI +5 it pushes me up to 45.4 ounces.

DA0C6923-BC71-4609-9B91-23B72E555B82.jpeg

D03E6020-65D5-4836-942C-2C672E94FE4A.jpeg

EB428591-296D-40F4-A791-A32B8DB97277.jpeg

4 hours ago, mellino19 said:

So I’ve probably mentioned here or on another Legion post about why not make a FrankenX5 if you don’t want the LCI. Well my module came today and I put my gun together and did a weigh-in. 

I have a previous gen X5 with a slide cut for a DPP, I made a custom mag catch button thanks to a post on here, and added a *thumb rest [generic]* since it’s legal and why not?

With a 21rd mag and TTI baseplate, I weigh in at 44.8 ounces. If I use a 17rd with a TTI +5 it pushes me up to 45.4 ounces.

DA0C6923-BC71-4609-9B91-23B72E555B82.jpeg

D03E6020-65D5-4836-942C-2C672E94FE4A.jpeg

EB428591-296D-40F4-A791-A32B8DB97277.jpeg

Not to drift but do you have the thread name handy for the mag catch mod handy? I have tried searching for it and have come up empty handed. Thanks. 

On 8/6/2019 at 9:24 AM, Rolex said:

To bad- NOW does the glass take a hit from the brass- my x5 did with the Romeo 1 on it- broke the glass also.

No. I’ve caught an occasional piece of brass to the shroud edge but it is rare. Have never had one hit the glass. 

My true concern is that gasses will cause lens degradation over time.  And DPP’s are 400 a pop. 

Wouldnt be a big deal if I was a casual range shooter. But anyone in this sport and trying to improve is mowing through ammo at a brisk pace. 

I sent my x5 Legion out to Robert (SA) yesterday. He stated that he can kill the problem associated with the LCI. Since I’m getting trigger work done, I told him to have at it after he assured me it doesn’t alter chamber pressure nor gun timing. 

Should have it back end of next week. I’ll let everyone know how he resolved the issue once I’ve had a chance to test it. 

I really wish Sig would come clean with the reasons they added this to the design. Is it a lawsuit prevention issue by calling it a safety feature? An LCI is absolutely useless on a comp gun and only adds to manufacturing costs. It’s not like I can unload and show clear by pointing to the LCI and telling the RO, “ See? The LCI shows the gun is not loaded so there is no need for me to rack the slide.” :)

It just makes no sense to me and my pea brain. 

Edited by Zoomie517

I am sure they added the LCI so they could use the barrel in "other" applications in the future.  One barrel for multi applications allows them to only stock that one part instead of multiple ones.  Its interesting that the didn't add the LCI to the slide.. Maybe that be a "feature" on the next revision.

Edited by jrn1975

4 minutes ago, jrn1975 said:

I am sure they added the LCI so they could use the barrel in "other" applications in the future.  One barrel for multi applications allows them to only stock that one part instead of multiple ones.  Its interesting that the didn't add the LCI to the slide.. Maybe that be a "feature" on the next revision.

Excellent point. I failed to take standardized interchangeability in to account. 

2 hours ago, Zoomie517 said:

I sent my x5 Legion out to Robert (SA) yesterday. He stated that he can kill the problem associated with the LCI. Since I’m getting trigger work done, I told him to have at it after he assured me it doesn’t alter chamber pressure nor gun timing. 

Should have it back end of next week. I’ll let everyone know how he resolved the issue once I’ve had a chance to test it. 

I really wish Sig would come clean with the reasons they added this to the design. Is it a lawsuit prevention issue by calling it a safety feature? An LCI is absolutely useless on a comp gun and only adds to manufacturing costs. It’s not like I can unload and show clear by pointing to the LCI and telling the RO, “ See? The LCI shows the gun is not loaded so there is no need for me to rack the slide.” :)

It just makes no sense to me and my pea brain. 

I have been thinking of sending mine to Robert to see how his work is. If he can weld the LCI at the same time that’s a win win! 

4 hours ago, Zoomie517 said:

I really wish Sig would come clean with the reasons they added this to the design. Is it a lawsuit prevention issue by calling it a safety feature? 

They’re not hiding it and the reasoning is well known. Cali and Massachusetts require them on all guns sold. So manufacturers put them on pretty much everything these days.

While the notch in the barrel hood is common, others do it better: For example, a Walther PPQ/Q5 has a red dot on the slide that’s visible only when the extractor is gripping a piece of brass in the chamber. Since none of us use the stupid thing anyway, I like that method. It affects nothing. ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic