Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X5 Legion announced! Q5 Match SF competitor?

mellino19

On 7/4/2019 at 1:33 PM, alma said:

I got hands on some Legion grips. Just amazingly heavy. Didn't get a chance to shoot them yet, but I they will be a nice performance enhancement. 

Is Sig planning to sell the grip modules separately? 

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Zoomie517 said:

Yes they are. I think that’s the reason they left the little legion emblem off the grip, this forcing the Legion collectors to foam and froth at the mouth. 

Hey! Not true! I have very little foam, and no froth at all!!! 😃 (OK, maybe a little bit!)

Hehe... I do own a P226 SAO Legion that I love, but could care less about collecting. My Legion is a well-used, well-maintained tool. I am very excited about this new X5, although it has nothing to do with the Legion label however.

23 minutes ago, Doublehelix said:

Hey! Not true! I have very little foam, and no froth at all!!! 😃 (OK, maybe a little bit!)

Hehe... I do own a P226 SAO Legion that I love, but could care less about collecting. My Legion is a well-used, well-maintained tool. I am very excited about this new X5, although it has nothing to do with the Legion label however.

You sir, are an anomaly. I’ve read more complaints about the lack of that emblem than all other bad-mouthing combined. It’s mind boggling to me but I’m not a collector either. 

I run a 34/5.  That said, I grew up on steel guns. The extra weight is intriguing as my only knock against polymer guns is how light they are. 

I can’t wait until mine gets here. Looking forward to taking it for a spin! 

I just got back from my local gun shop in the off chance they may have gotten an X5 Legion.  I had decided that if they had one, I’d buy it.  I walk in and to my surprise, they got their first one that day!  However, my excitement turned into disappointment pretty quick. The weight was great and immediately noticeable in a good way, but the amount of slop on the slide was horrendous.  I already have the original X5 so I can say with certainty that my current one is very solid. The Legion was so bad, I could see the slide moving up as I compressed the take up on the trigger.  I could hold the slide and move it around a significant amount.  Enough that I was worried about accuracy. I asked if they had another one so I could compare but it was the only one they got. Anyone else handle one yet and did it have massive battle rattle?  I didn’t buy it and left sad and disappointed 😞

Edited by BC27

On 7/9/2019 at 6:07 AM, Zoomie517 said:

That’s going to be awfully  close with a TTI +5 for CO. 

Can you verify if there is a factory grip weight?

Not really. The whole +5 baseplate is 1.6 oz, and you're already swapping out an aluminum one, the incremental weight will be less than an ounce.

45 minutes ago, BC27 said:

The Legion was so bad, I could see the slide moving up as I compressed the take up on the trigger.  I could hold the slide and move it around a significant amount.  Enough that I was worried about accuracy. I asked if they had another one so I could compare but it was the only one they got. Anyone else handle one yet and did it have massive battle rattle?  I didn’t buy it and left sad and disappointed 😞

Eh. This is pretty common on all striker fired guns, X5s, regular P320s, Glocks, you name it.

31 minutes ago, be032 said:

Eh. This is pretty common on all striker fired guns, X5s, regular P320s, Glocks, you name it.

As mentioned, my current X5 has nowhere near the slop that the Legion I handled today did, and I have a couple thousand rounds though mine. In fact, none of my Glocks or other striker fired pistols have anywhere near as much either. I’m talking up down and side to side slop to an excessive degree. It felt so cheap. There must have been something wrong with the one I looked at today because it was IMO, unacceptable which is why I didn’t buy it. 

42 minutes ago, be032 said:

Not really. The whole +5 baseplate is 1.6 oz, and you're already swapping out an aluminum one, the incremental weight will be less than an ounce.

Yup.  I weighed with the included mag and the 21 rd mag with a TTI extension and there was almost no difference 

19 hours ago, BC27 said:

As mentioned, my current X5 has nowhere near the slop that the Legion I handled today did, and I have a couple thousand rounds though mine. In fact, none of my Glocks or other striker fired pistols have anywhere near as much either. I’m talking up down and side to side slop to an excessive degree. It felt so cheap. There must have been something wrong with the one I looked at today because it was IMO, unacceptable which is why I didn’t buy it. 

I just picked up one.  Yes there is "more" play in the slide when the gun is locked up.  From what I can tell, they removed the "pre-tension" on the lock up.  Alot of people complained when the X5 first came out that if you rode the slide at all it wouldn't return fully into battery.  Well that's fixed now in the legion.

After shooting mine today, it's just as accurate as my original x 5

3 hours ago, jrn1975 said:

I just picked up one.  Yes there is "more" play in the slide when the gun is locked up.  From what I can tell, they removed the "pre-tension" on the lock up.  Alot of people complained when the X5 first came out that if you rode the slide at all it wouldn't return fully into battery.  Well that's fixed now in the legion.

After shooting mine today, it's just as accurate as my original x 5

Ok, thanks for the confirmation about the slop. Good to hear it hasn’t resulted in less accuracy for you. I did notice the Legion I handled returned to battery much easier as well and I suspected they worked on that due to complaints.  For me, it’s never been a problem on my X5.

Just now, Posvar said:

To those that have shot one, is it really as flat and soft as advertised? 

Yeah. Just like every other gun ever sold before it (and after), flattest shooting gun on the market.

I’m actually more interested in how fast it cycles and how well it returns back on target. Just thought I’d start with the typical question and see what people said. 

2 hours ago, Posvar said:

I’m actually more interested in how fast it cycles and how well it returns back on target. Just thought I’d start with the typical question and see what people said. 

Flatter?  I couldn't tell the difference.  With good technique, the original X5 has always shoot really flat for me and the legion was no different.

Softer...yes.  the extra weight make the legion feel a lot softer in hand.  

I personally feel the extra weight helps the legion return back on target better.  Shooting both guns side by side, I found I shot better controlled pairs with the legion.  The extra weight helps with the balance of the gun.  

But as always, load, springs, and technique plays a factor in how a gun returns back on target.

15 hours ago, BC27 said:

Ok, thanks for the confirmation about the slop. Good to hear it hasn’t resulted in less accuracy for you. I did notice the Legion I handled returned to battery much easier as well and I suspected they worked on that due to complaints.  For me, it’s never been a problem on my X5. 

NP.. Here are some addition thoughts as I handle the gun some more.  The "slope" pretty much goes away once you insert a loaded magazine.  The pressure of the rounds pushing up on the slide "tightens" the gun right up.  Even with an empty magazine inserted things "feel" better.  I noticed the trigger feels a lot better if you insert a magazine with dummy rounds when testing the trigger pull.  

4 hours ago, jrn1975 said:

NP.. Here are some addition thoughts as I handle the gun some more.  The "slope" pretty much goes away once you insert a loaded magazine.  The pressure of the rounds pushing up on the slide "tightens" the gun right up.  Even with an empty magazine inserted things "feel" better.  I noticed the trigger feels a lot better if you insert a magazine with dummy rounds when testing the trigger pull.  

When you say slop, is it the slide being sloppy on the frame/FCU or the barrel itself when it is locked up inside the slide? The slide on my standard x-five rattles but the barrel is tightly locked up inside the slide. No worries here.

Thanks for the info.

2 hours ago, jaep1911 said:

When you say slop, is it the slide being sloppy on the frame/FCU or the barrel itself when it is locked up inside the slide? The slide on my standard x-five rattles but the barrel is tightly locked up inside the slide. No worries here.

Thanks for the info.

A little bit of both.  On the standard x5 the pre-tension that was set made the barrel lock up super tight.  The legion locks up like a standard 320 where there is slight movement if you push down on the barrel hood when it's locked up. 

I shot supported 25 yard groups with both and my results were between 1.25 and 1.5 inches with both guns. 

Maybe with super accurate ammo and a ransom  rest there would be a difference, but in my hands I couldn't see a differences.

I hope that helps.

Edited by jrn1975