Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strange primer damage after firing

aales1

Hello guys, 

so a new strange thing is happening with my Tanfoglio Limited 45 ACP.

I have noticed that primers after firing have  rub marks or something similar.

It looks like when gun is ejecting empty brass, that firing pin is not retracted fully and it slides on the primer.

So far I have tried:

-removed firing pin block (no change)

-checked firing pin (no damage)

-checked firing pin spring (looks ok)

-cleaned firing pin and spring (no change)

If I only load a round into the chamber, there is no damage. If I put fired brass into gun, dry fire it, and eject it by working slide by hand, no damage occurs.

Is it possible that gun is ejecting brass so fast that firing pin is still "out"?

I use reloaded ammo, with Murom large pistol competition primers, but I also fired a few with standard S&B primers and its the same.

20190522222438.jpg

Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards,

Aleš

20190522222438.jpg

Edited by aales1

Very common with any of the "long" chamberings (10mm, 45ACP, 38 super) in Tanfoglios.  Has to do with the amount-of-travel with ejector engagement more than slide velocity.  

People can really start making problems for themselves when they start overspringing these guns chasing reduced brass ejection distance or less "primer wipe" (common term for what you've described/pictured).  If you're determined to change it, changes to the ejector are required.  Or, you could just ignore it.  Because it isn't harmful and doesn't signal anything harmful.  

2 hours ago, ATLDave said:

Very common with any of the "long" chamberings (10mm, 45ACP, 38 super) in Tanfoglios.  Has to do with the amount-of-travel with ejector engagement more than slide velocity.  

People can really start making problems for themselves when they start overspringing these guns chasing reduced brass ejection distance or less "primer wipe" (common term for what you've described/pictured).  If you're determined to change it, changes to the ejector are required.  Or, you could just ignore it.  Because it isn't harmful and doesn't signal anything harmful.  

Primer swipe happens when the barrel unlocks from the slide, long before the ejector comes into play. The swipe is vertical, caused by the barrel and brass dropping downwards in the slide while the firing pin is protruding slightly.

It is really common on a lot of different pistols and not something to be concerned about. 

You are the best. Thank you for all information.

I have never seen this on any of my pistols, so I was worried that it might damage firing pin on the long run.

Thank you again!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2019 at 2:39 PM, aales1 said:

You are the best. Thank you for all information.

I have never seen this on any of my pistols, so I was worried that it might damage firing pin on the long run.

Thank you again!

I have 2 different 1911s that do that. One of which is about 12k rounds through it, and never had an issues.

None of my tanfos do it, but its one of those things that if I see if I don't really concern myself with it! Keep shooting and enjoy!