Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Mag Changes - Need Help

Shot a ProAm match this weekend.  On a 11 second stage my last shot fired was at 7.23 seconds.  Gun went into slide lock, I was not able to reload, rack the slide and fire a shot for 3.77 seconds.

What techniques do you use to keep from running a mage empty?  Count Shots, Plan exact locations to change mag?

What types of drills should I use to improve my Mag Changes?

Any pictures of gear setup?  Not sure about pouch positions, bullets up, down, or out?  Magwell, are there advantages over others? 

Top off before you run to lock.  Plan exactly where mag changes occur and adjust when your plan goes south.  Change mags on the move.

Magwell makes a 'big' difference.  Practice reloads repeatedly during dryfire practice and change your rig to make you smoother. 

Shot a ProAm match this weekend.  On a 11 second stage my last shot fired was at 7.23 seconds.  Gun went into slide lock, I was not able to reload, rack the slide and fire a shot for 3.77 seconds.

What techniques do you use to keep from running a mage empty?  Count Shots, Plan exact locations to change mag?

What types of drills should I use to improve my Mag Changes?

Any pictures of gear setup?  Not sure about pouch positions, bullets up, down, or out?  Magwell, are there advantages over others? 

Stage planning is key to not running empty. Walk the stage and determine where to do each reload. On stages with movement, you should plan to do them in between positions, while on the move to save time. Avoid standing reloads whenever possible.

As far as practice, the fortunate thing is reloads is something you can do at home in dry fire. There are plenty of videos YouTube that show proper technique by some of the top shooters. Look up the Burkett Load drill. Has been very helpful for me. You want to make sure you practice both standing and moving reloads. Goal should be to get standing reload done in about a second. Moving reloads done by your second step.

As far as pouch placement, I'm not familiar with the rules of Pro Am. In USPSA, placement is dictated by the division rules. I shoot Production division so pouches must sit behind the hip bone. However, some of the other divisions allow pouches to be placed anywhere on the belt. If there are no rules for placement, put them on your belt where you can get to them easily and consistently. Typically up front with a cant towards weak arm.

Mags should be placed upside down in the pouch with the rounds facing forward or out depending on the type of pouch you're running. Some pouches have the mag sit perpendicular on the belt so rounds facing out on those. Rounds facing forward on traditional pouches.

Practice reloads often. It's a fundamental that you need to keep sharp.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I always incorporate a few each practice session to remind myself of the feel of slidelock

Just load a few rounds in each mag and go from there. 

I shoot Production so the “struggle is real” and more common than open or limited  just add it into your practice, and Burkett Drill it until it becomes boring then do some more. 

Magwell weight is great it is low on one end of the lever ( think of a pivot at the hammer pin hole)  and non moving so it will help with flip but you will need to test to see if a heavier or lighter gun works for you/tracks better. 

Bullets up/forward because that’s how your hand will fall naturally to your belt with minimum additional movement,less movement (in this case) is free speed and less to fumble/remember. 

• 1 month later...

For me, I visualize the stage over and over to make sure the reload is automatic, and hopefully on the move. I am still new enough that I budget a few extra rounds for tough shots, or long steel. I am not yet confident to plan to go 1 for 1 on all stages, so I budget for that.

My mag change drill is to run El Prez in dry fire on a tight par time for me. My personal issue is to take my eyes off the mag well and go back to the target too soon, and then I flub it. 

Then I work on reloads while running around just to make sure I can do them on the move in a match.