Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
KrakenFan69

Fail to fire with new Apex extended Firing pin

So I run a 627 in IPSC.   I load my own .38 Long Colt with a custom 150 gn projectile.   I get the odd fail to fire occasionally and I thought I better have a backup firing pin so I picked up an Apex extended firing pin.    I replaced the pin and spring and could not get primer ignition regardless of how much tension was on the strain screw. I was getting some pretty heavy hits on the primers too.    I replaced the old pin and they fired.     Then I put the new pin in with the old spring and again they fired.   That's where I left it but I'm just curious if anyone could explain why it wouldn't work.

Thanks for any help,

Kraken Fan #69

Currently CCI.   I'm having issues sourcing Federals near me.  But the ones that failed had a deeper indent than those that are igniting now!?  I thought perhaps the primer wasn't seated but it happened on several I tried.

Kraken Fan #69

I only ask because firing a a round that already has a struck primer won't give you true results, if that what you did. CCI are also fine if the hardest primers.

Sound to me like the new spring may be the problem (too long or binding?) Have you compared the new and old springs?

I'm a big fan of the cylinder and slide firing pin.    I have Apex hammers in my revolvers, but prefer the c&s pin.  it's a little longer and cut in a way that allows it to travel further inside the firing pin channel

Posted (edited)

Apex pins are for Federal only. That’s the problem. They have a habit of not working so well with other primers

And C&S pins like to break, watch out for them. 

Edited by MWP

Thank MWP,    I carry 3-4 extras with me.    Looking forward to seeing the new 929's made for the Andy's

4 minutes ago, Sanzo said:

Thank MWP,    I carry 3-4 extras with me.    Looking forward to seeing the new 929's made for the Andy's

They’re mean. I made one for myself as well. As soon as the new comps come in I think we will all be shooting them. 

20 hours ago, MWP said:

Apex pins are for Federal only. That’s the problem. They have a habit of not working so well with other primers

And C&S pins like to break, watch out for them. 

I've used them with other than Fed primers with no issues.  

As for the original post, sounds like the spring is binding somewhere.  

Give a call or send an email to Randy Lee at Apex he will set it straight and if there is a problem he will want to know so he can remedy it for both you and his business.

He is a great gujy to deal with.

10 hours ago, MWP said:

They’re mean. I made one for myself as well. As soon as the new comps come in I think we will all be shooting them. 

Is Ronbo slated to get his 929 soon?

24 minutes ago, mchapman said:

Is Ronbo slated to get his 929 soon?

Very. 2 guns had some serious issues frame issues. You know the kind that the factory calls “within spec.” I got his back from the machinist again last night, final touches this weekend and out it goes next week. 

The other frame isn’t as lucky. Brand new, never been fired and it’s bent. Classy. 

Very. 2 guns had some serious issues frame issues. You know the kind that the factory calls “within spec.” I got his back from the machinist again last night, final touches this weekend and out it goes next week. 

The other frame isn’t as lucky. Brand new, never been fired and it’s bent. Classy. 
Bent how?

Posted (edited)

Basically if you looked at the barrel cylinder gap you could see the top of the gap open and the bottom closed. So the barrel and cylinder weren’t square. The factory fixed the problem by cutting the factory barrel at an angle...

The secund gun I referenced has a wave in the blast shield. No idea how that even happens.

Edited by MWP

Basically if you looked at the barrel cylinder gap you could see the top of the gap open and the bottom closed. So the barrel and cylinder weren’t square. The factory fixed the problem by cutting the factory barrel at an angle...

The secund gun I referenced has a wave in the blast shield. No idea how that even happens.
Did they group? Some of this stuff doesn't matter. My 627 has an overclocked barrel, it shoots the smallest groups of any handgun I own.

1 hour ago, PatJones said:
6 hours ago, MWP said:

Did they group? Some of this stuff doesn't matter. My 627 has an overclocked barrel, it shoots the smallest groups of any handgun I own.

I didn’t shoot it. Once I realized my replacement barrel was sitting funny I started taking some measurements. I’d agree with you honestly, see if it shoots first. Most of the factory imperfections don’t matter, but they still bug me. 

Don't think so, but midway sells the FP for 14.99 and springs for 2.29.

Apex sells FP + Spring for 15.95.

The Apex is a tougher FP, but I've had both break.  When the Apex broke Randy sent me another for free.

If you do shoot/dry fire a lot you will want to change the FP springs about like a Striker Spring or Recoil Spring, I try to change them at the beginning of the season.

I was having a similar issue in my 929, turned out my hand was getting worn and I was having a slow time issue on two chambers, where the firing pin wouldn't hit center of the round on the anvil, more often when I was pulling the trigger slow.   

I am having good performance with Power Custom firing pins. A lot of people don't know about them. They also have a complete line of aftermarket hammers, triggers, and hammer noses.

10 hours ago, Toolguy said:

I am having good performance with Power Custom firing pins. A lot of people don't know about them. They also have a complete line of aftermarket hammers, triggers, and hammer noses.

I just ordered one from midway. I put an apex in my 625. Did not seem to help it with light strikes. It works fine with federal primers, but I hate having to always be looking for them. 

I just ordered one from midway. I put an apex in my 625. Did not seem to help it with light strikes. It works fine with federal primers, but I hate having to always be looking for them. 
Federals are a fact of life with a tuned revolver. You just have to start hoarding them.

16 hours ago, Warrior75 said:

If you use other than fed primers you just have to accept that you will need a heavier hammer fall.  A FP will not help.