Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HAS OPEN TECHNOLOGY PEAKED

Chris iliff

It’s not. And I wouldn’t know why you’d say something like that?  

a51193. 

I started in june 2004. I have well over 150 classifiers just in open. Slow learner yes, all day long, I’ll take that criticism. But to attack my character?  Geez you must be a Doodie. 

And my record shows I shot a solid 2-4 classifiers per month about April till October, or whatever the months for I know well over 8 -10 years. 

Now i I haven’t looked it all up, but I’m confident in the numbers I cited and for you to say different?   Geez. 

Shooting took a back seat when the Wife went to nursing school and money got tight. I haven’t shot but a handful of matches a year since. 

But it I still love the sport and think about it. 

I kinda quit coming to forums because of shenanigans like you just pulled. 

Seems maybe even Enos isn’t the place if they allow dregs like you. 

Edited by Chris iliff

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/23/2019 at 2:07 PM, MikeBurgess said:

No, I'm referring to USPSA,  SS shooters beat open shooters on the regular, because the shooter makes more difference than the gun. heck I beat lots of Autos shooting a revo, is the revo better for the game? No, but the advantage an auto has is not insurmountable. 

Now you're just trolling lol. Of course you practice, so you can beat some spodes who don't practice with a revolver, but if you look at the results of every major match ever, it is clear that no revo shooter can hang with the top auto shooters overall, therefore the advantage an auto has appears to be insurmountable.

On 5/24/2019 at 5:12 AM, Chris iliff said:

So you don’t see the current CO win as a dethrone?  More a bump in the road?

more of an anecdote.  If there are 10 CO shooters ahead of the first open shooter, I would open was dethroned. If the best centerfire shooter had a couple bad stages in open so he beat his open time with his CO gun, that's not really an equipment thing.

On 5/24/2019 at 6:11 AM, Chris iliff said:

2nd.  Within open, we have only went one way with development. Of course there will ALWAYS be an advantage with MAJOR. I NEVER SAID OTHERWISE. I just wonder how much more we could DECREASE that advantage with a new look at what constitutes an open gun shooting at the other end of the BANG SCALE. Any? Some? Negate completely?  Even it up?

If you admit there will always be an advantage to major, then it seems kinda dumb to waste time and money trying to decrease that advantage and still be disadvantaged. Seems like a better application of effort to work on increasing an advantage.

7 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

Now you're just trolling lol. Of course you practice, so you can beat some spodes who don't practice with a revolver, but if you look at the results of every major match ever, it is clear that no revo shooter can hang with the top auto shooters overall, therefore the advantage an auto has appears to be insurmountable.

Tolling, possibly, 

But I believe you miss understand the term insurmountable, that would mean it can not be overcome by practice or anything else. I have seen results from some other clubs where a GM SS shooter beats GM Open shooters, yes the SS shooter is an elite GM but the GM open shooters he is beating are not scrubs. The whole point is guns only account for so much of or total performance and even really big differences in guns only account for reasonable small differences if total performance.

most matches breakdown something like this (very match and shooter dependent)

Open 100%

PCC 98%

Limited 95%

CO 95%

Prod/SS 85%

Revo 60%

Basically once you get to having north of 18 rounds in the gun there is not that much performance difference to be had, optics help, major scoring helps having both helps most. So even making a magic gun that has no recoil and instant splits would only be at best a tiny improvement in overall performance and the energy needed to create it would better be spent practicing

1 hour ago, Maximis228 said:

Revo - Who cares.

Revo is the opposite of Open   basically all the other divisions are a compromise. If you want it as easy as you can make it shoot open if you want it hard shoot revo  

38 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

Revo is the opposite of Open   basically all the other divisions are a compromise. If you want it as easy as you can make it shoot open if you want it hard shoot revo  duck-tape a cinder block to your azz, and cover your dominant eye.

fixed, with a suggestion that is just as cool as shooting revolver.  ;)

To answer the original question, I'm leaning toward yes.

When I bailed from USPSA shooting in 2008, the Brazos ProSx was considered one of the Open guns to shoot.  A decade later, I've not heard any evidence that it's not just as competitive.

Sure, folks continue to play with comp and port designs, but any improvement in technology to improve performance seems to be marginal, not incremental.  Aesthetically, guns have changed quite a bit.  Smiths sure seem to love using their CNC machines to create pretty patterns.

On 5/28/2019 at 10:45 AM, motosapiens said:

If you admit there will always be an advantage to major, then it seems kinda dumb to waste time and money trying to decrease that advantage and still be disadvantaged. Seems like a better application of effort to work on increasing an advantage.

I’m not so sure. Depends on what you think is an advantage?  Funnest gun I own is a Springfield 1911 SS in 9mm. Shooting about 130pf. Pure fun. 

I get your point. But it all depends on what “you” want to accomplish. 

6 hours ago, Chris iliff said:

I’m not so sure. Depends on what you think is an advantage?  Funnest gun I own is a Springfield 1911 SS in 9mm. Shooting about 130pf. Pure fun. 

I get your point. But it all depends on what “you” want to accomplish. 

well, sure, if you don't want to win uspsa matches, then you have a much broader spectrum to work with. Perhaps I misunderstood the point of the original post.

'Fun' is subjective. Some dudes are into fat chicks.