Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Splatter from poppers

kimmie

I have designed a stage that will have the option of going prone, or not, and risk vs reward.  I have two poppers down range with no shoots about 8 feet behind them.  The poppers are about 25 feet out.  If you go prone at the center port, the no shoots are directly behind the poppers.  If you go to either side of an angled barricade,  because of the different angle, the no shoots are no longer behind the poppers and they are about 8 feet behind and 2 feet to the side of the poppers.  It's been brought up that there could be an issue with splatter hitting the no shoots and it's frowned on for a major match.  I believe we'll be using forward falling poppers.  Would moving the no shoots out further than 8 feet help?  Another thought is to build plywood boxes, sides and top only, about 8" deep, to put over the poppers.  Any thoughts? 

Notice how the ground is chewed up by the splatter. It's within one foot and parallel to the popper face. Targets beside and just forward of the poppers are the ones that get chewed up. 8 feet behind should not be an issue.

Edited by NMBOpen

Plates splatter more than poppers. I’ve done what you want with the no shoot behind it. If you have nice target stands you may end up getting one dinged with a miss.  Ask me how I know. 

3 hours ago, Nathanb said:

Plates splatter more than poppers. I’ve done what you want with the no shoot behind it. If you have nice target stands you may end up getting one dinged with a miss.  Ask me how I know. 

And then there's that!  Didn't think about that, lol. 

On 5/21/2019 at 5:05 PM, kimmie said:

I have designed a stage that will have the option of going prone, or not, and risk vs reward.  I have two poppers down range with no shoots about 8 feet behind them.  The poppers are about 25 feet out.  If you go prone at the center port, the no shoots are directly behind the poppers.  If you go to either side of an angled barricade,  because of the different angle, the no shoots are no longer behind the poppers and they are about 8 feet behind and 2 feet to the side of the poppers.  It's

As others have said, splatter is usually towards the side, not the rear (particularly with forward-falling poppers where things are not being "driven down" with multiple shots.

But here's another question - going prone usually involves a time hit (and a big one if it's not the last shooting position).  Sounds like you are making the prone position the riskier position in terms of any miss hitting a no-shoot.  Why?  If one option is slower and riskier, that doesn't really offer a big choice.  In my experience, if you want people to pick the prone option (when it is not absolutely required), you need to offer some significant benefit to doing so.  Making the prone shots riskier would seem to work against that.

Maybe it makes sense in the context of the rest of the stage.  

On 5/22/2019 at 3:31 PM, racerba said:

8 feet behind should not be hit with splatters...it's the ones that are parallel to the face of the poppers that tends to get hit...

This. 2ft to the side and 8ft behind is well outside the splatter zone.

Thanks for the replys. It helps a lot.  ATlDave,  the prone position will actually be faster because you step back 2 or 3 steps from the start position, take the targets to either side (which will be tight shots) and then drop to take 2 other targets and the steel.  it's the last position, so I wanted to add the risk.  The other option for the poppers is to run to each side of the barricade which takes more time, to take the poppers risk free and the paper wide open. There are other targets but's thats the gist of it.

My thought was what you all have said, the no shoots should not be getting hit by splatter.  Now to argue with the powers that be!