Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

the evil 2nd shot

On 1/5/2020 at 6:28 PM, Blackstone45 said:

Agreed, snapcap thing is only to prove that they're flinching when they are adamant that they are not.

Best way I think to help fix a flinch is a lot of dry firing to build that muscle memory of only moving your trigger finger.

The problem of only using dryfire as a cure is that it doesn't replicate the stress of a fired shot and doesn't fully replicate the reason they are flinching which is the fear of the recoil if they know they are only dry firing it will not work

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, robbiespratt said:

Snap caps are great for showing the problem. They can be used to train the problem as well if you slow down and concentrate on every trigger pull. Dry firing for muscle memory seems to only take me so far with it. My mind knows there will be no recoil when dry firing so I have zero anticipation when I dry fire but some days it is bad when I am live firing.  I like the 50/50 drill but still my mind knows there is no second shot. The repetiton does help though. 

Thank you that was the exact point I was trying to make

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 1:45 AM, joerenew said:

The problem of only using dryfire as a cure is that it doesn't replicate the stress of a fired shot and doesn't fully replicate the reason they are flinching which is the fear of the recoil if they know they are only dry firing it will not work

Thats why the 50/50 drill works that good. Your brain is still stressed if you do it fast enough.

• 7 months later...

I find matches in the past 20+ years to be ludicrously impractical, So i'm unable to train at them seriously enough to be better than B class at the National level. If you ever had to deliver such performance without ear protection, you'd never be able to do it.  Way too many targets, way too far away. So I slow down a lot for anything beyond 5m.  Inside that distance, tho, IS realistic and I want to really burn rubber, so to speak, preferably from concealment,  on 2 targets. More than that, I find it very unlikely that you'll win, unless all they have is spears.  I'm in my late 60's and if I try to actually catch repeat sight pictures, my splits get close to .30 second, which is much too slow, so I'm point shooting after the first flash of the front sight on the target. Most of these matches, if all 20+ of your "enemies" had jennings .22's, and you had an auto-shotgun and buckshot, you'd still get shot multiple times. 🙂

• 1 month later...