Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Custom Bull Shadow Carry Optics Build

Red_Dot

I wanted to share a build that’s currently in progress and will likely continue to be tinkered with.

I snagged this pistol for a really good deal shortly after it was approved for USPSA Production and instantly started planning to putting an optic on it. I was previously shooting a Shadow 2 with a dot and after handling the Bull Shadow, I could tell where the Shadow 2 was working against me. The frame and particularly the checkering on the front/back straps of the Shadow 2 added girth that my extremely Medium sized hands wasn’t fond of. Additionally, the hump on the backstrap was fighting against my palm/thumb area unevenly when gripping hard and it showed when i compared groups at distance. Finally, the Bull Shadow has a center of balance much closer to the grip area which just feels better to me in general.

The current modification list is short because it comes very well appointed from CZC, but I just can’t leave well enough alone...

Romeo 3 optic (3MOA)

SSI Scales 2.0 grips in Brass

10lb recoil spring (Match ammo)

13lb recoil spring (factory 124gr ammo)

11lb hammer spring

CZ Czechmate Slide Stop Pin

CZC 140mm Basepads on 16rnd tubes

Future Modifications under consideration

CZC Short Reach Trigger

Extra Large Safety Levers

Progressive recoil spring

AFAFD47D-0DF6-4C01-8994-655C68608B9E.jpeg

2D0836AF-38D1-4A3E-AABD-C41831F629D7.jpeg

889A75A9-50E2-4D2F-ACC3-E58048FB56B7.jpeg

CC4FBDD4-C586-4D05-953A-2F19B5F081F6.jpeg

Edited by Red_Dot

10 hours ago, texasdawg said:

Nice gun, cool to see something different. Whats the difference in weight of the brass verses regular ssi grips?

Normal Scales - 42 grams

brass scales - 120 grams

Henning grips - 53 grams

Stock CZC grips - 52 grams

Normal Scales - 42 grams

brass scales - 120 grams

Henning grips - 53 grams

Stock CZC grips - 52 grams

Please don't take this the wrong way, but how does your gun with both a bull barrel and brass grips make CO weight?

IIRC, the S2 with a red dot necessitates weight reduction in at least a couple areas.

What am I missing? Is the CZC gun much lighter than the S2?

28 minutes ago, robert.a.brewer. said:

Please don't take this the wrong way, but how does your gun with both a bull barrel and brass grips make CO weight?

IIRC, the S2 with a red dot necessitates weight reduction in at least a couple areas.

75 Bull Shadow with dot and 140 mags is only like 43-44 ounces

1 hour ago, robert.a.brewer. said:

Look at the frame of the bull shadow and compare it to the shadow 2. The dust cover on the bull shadow is way shorter than the shadow 2. That alone reduced the weight of the bull shadow substantially.

8 hours ago, robert.a.brewer. said:

The Shadow2 is 5oz heavier than the Bull shadow to start with and adding the optic actually reduced the weight of the slide by about a half oz.

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Climbhard said:

Hows this gun shoot compared to say am SP01 shadow?  Im looking to set up a CO gun and wondering if its worth the extra 500

I don’t see a $500 price difference between the Bull shadow and an SP01 Shadow Target.

im still thrilled with this pistol regardless. CZC has done an incredible job with this pistol.

Working on a similar build - with the SRO optic. One downside of that optic is that you can't fit it directly to the slide - which I had hoped to do.

Cajun says the screw pattern on the SRO is too wide to work on the slide. So it has to use an aluminum mounting plate.

Well, just cleared the up mystery. Just talked to Cajun. Apparently, the serrations on the Bull Shadow cut deeply enough into the slide that there's not enough room to do a direct mount - even with smaller screws.

So, if you want to direct mount, it sounds like the  Shadow II is the way to go. Sort of makes me wish I'd gone that route - as I'd rather avoid the aluminum mounting plate. But too late now.