Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
tacomandood

Czechmate Mag Tuning?

Hey all,

So I got my Czechmate just over a month ago now and have spent probably around 8-10 hours trying to get the damn magazines to function properly. My issue comes from the bullets nosediving into the bottom of the barrel feed ramp which can be a nasty malfunction to clear. I thought I had everything good to go as the gun cycles my dummy rounds fine when being racked by hand; however, for the last few times I've taken it out I'm constantly getting FTFs in the second and third rounds out of my magazines. My dumb self even tried shooting it at a club match last Saturday, and I looked and felt mighty stupid having a malfunction on almost every stage. 🤦‍♂️

Is there any sort of place that I can send these in to for magazine tuning? I know most guys are only working on 2011 mags and can't think of a particular CZ person here in the US. This is happening with both my 170 and 140mm mags using CZ Custom Extended Basepads. I've tried adjusting the feed lip specs, pinching the mag in to stack the bullets better, and both 10-coil and 13-coil springs to no avail. I'm really at my wit's end with these, and I'm starting to consider selling the damn thing and getting a different Open gun that I can have worked on by the builder instead of trying to figure it out myself. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted (edited)

Contact Bevin Grams at Grams Engineering

(949) 548-3745

http://www.gramsengineering.com/services.php

i sent all 3 of my big sticks to Bevin and they'll now run to 29+1 reliably with good upward nose pressure on the top round. i'm getting ready to send him all my 140s soon too. 

Edited by DavidSeavey

2 minutes ago, DavidSeavey said:

Contact Bevin Grams at Grams Engineering

(949) 548-3745

i sent all 3 of my big sticks to Bevin and they'll now run to 29+1 reliably with good upward nose pressure on the top round. i'm getting ready to send him all my 140s soon too. 

Thank you. This is exactly what I was hoping to find out, but I wasn't sure if Grams did CZ mags as well. What's the price per mag? I'd imagine I just ship to them and they take care of the rest?

i sent mine in back in november it was $20 to reshape them, so much so that it'll need a new spring and follower for $18 i think.  Bevin said the reshaping of the mag tube is so different even his commercial cz ts follower wont make it to the feed lips, but he swaps out to his new style if you already bought his guts.   turnaround was quick too.

Posted (edited)

I'm a lefty and had similar problems two years ago.
The culprit was the magazine design. The holes for the mag release to engage are asymmetric in terms of height. I had reversed the mag release so that I could hit it with my left thumb on the right side of the frame. The trouble was that this resulted in magazines seating lower and rounds having difficulty making it up the ramp. As soon as the mag release reverted to the left side my CzechMate worked perfectly.

Just wanted to allow you to eliminate this as a possible cause of your woes.

Edited by Lior

1 minute ago, Lior said:

I'm a lefty and had similar problems two years ago.
The culprit was the magazine design. The holes for the mag release to engage are asymmetric in terms of height. I had reversed the mag release so that I could hit it with my left thumb on the right side of the frame. The trouble was that this resulted in magazines seating lower and rounds having difficulty making it up the ramp. As soon as the mag release reverted to the left side my CzechMate worked perfectly.

Just wanted to allow you to eliminate this as a possible cause of your woes.

Good info here for others maybe, but I've got my release in the original left-sided configuration.

It's definitely mag tuning issues with the rounds not feeding properly regardless of spring tension or number rounds loaded.

What follower and length of bullet are you running?  My TSO and CM feed just fine, both have Grams followers, springs and CZC basepads.  My bullets are short also, to the tune of 1.08-1.09.

3 minutes ago, muncie21 said:

What follower and length of bullet are you running?  My TSO and CM feed just fine, both have Grams followers, springs and CZC basepads.  My bullets are short also, to the tune of 1.08-1.09.

Using the CZC spring and follower sets, but looks like I'll be switching to Grams here now. Since I'm running 9Major in the CM I'm loading out to 1.165", which is why the feed issues are so prone to happening.

Posted (edited)

I load 9 major for the CM also, but don't load that long.  Might want to try some shorter (or factory) ammo to see if the issue changes with the ammo. 

Edited by muncie21

3 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

Which bullets are you loading?

He’s probably using those pointy copper-colored ones.

😈😂

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

Which bullets are you loading?

I’m using RMR’s JHPs, and though they do have a bit longer ogive than some others, I don’t think they’re the root of the cause. Anyone else had issues using them before?

Edited by tacomandood

Posted (edited)

I had issues with just about everything in mine.  I could load them down to 10-15 and they would run fine.  Then I loaded them all the way up and poof, nose dives.  Didn't matter, RMR, PD, Round Nose, Hollow Point...they all did it.

I sent them to Grams and a week later they came back and have run fine ever since.  Personally, I don't think the bullet type should matter, the friggin mags should work.  The problem is the double stack to single stack transition.  Before I sent them to Grams the second bullet was kicked way over and when I pressed down on the top bullet they all just stuck like that...no bounce back.  After Grams, the first few rounds are all line up in a single column and the rounds pop up nicely.  He also said that if there are any problems moving forward, to just send them  back.  East coast to west coast exactly one week turn around.  Each mag is reloadable to capacity - 29 for the big stick and 23 for the smalls with Grams followers/springs and CZC base pads.

Oh, and I'm currently using RMR 115 JHP loaded to 1.155

Edited by clw42

4 hours ago, tacomandood said:

I don’t think they’re the root of the cause. Anyone else had issues using them before?

I was using MG JHP in my 2011s when I bought my Czechmate, had random nose dive issues like you describe, switched to MG CMJ and haven't had an issue since; no mag tuning, 29+1, 23+1.

20 minutes ago, Lastcat said:

Mag Tuning can by done very easily. Posted this at CZ Forum. 

https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=98021.msg758958#msg758958

I'd come across this before and that's the point I'm at where I've spent way too many hours trying to get these right. I wish I would've just sent them in sooner for tuning though lol. 

I'm really just looking at selling my Czechmate now and getting either a Limcat (they're local to me so they can work on it easily) or an Atlas. Might still get the mags tuned for the next buyer, but we'll see.

I don’t understand the need for all this mag tuning.

I’ve had a CM for 6 years. Due to playing in other divisions I probably only have 20k rounds on it but I’ve never felt a need to “tune” a mag (and neither have the handful of other CM owners that I know.

I have 2 sets of mags.

One set of 20 rounders (crimped to 10) which stock springs, followers & base pads. These have shot the majority of the rounds, are totally stock and run fine.

The other set I use for overseas matches. I’ve got 1 big stick and 5 x 20’s. I’ve run them with stock guts + CZC springs and now CZC guts + CZC bases and they run perfect too.

I load 124gn RN’s (Frontiers) to 1.14” and the thing just runs.

Maybe think about f*#king with the mags less and looking harder at your ammo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Matt1 said:

Maybe think about f*#king with the mags less and looking harder at your ammo emoji848.png

Lol, the reason for f*#king with the mags in the first place was because they wouldn't feed anything using the CZC basepads and followers. 🙄

You'd think for the $3400 you spend on the gun they'd at least include some 170mm/140mm mags in the box instead of requiring aftermarket followers and basepads smh. Maybe you got lucky with a good set of mags, but even just looking at these it's obvious they're way off if you're not using everything stock. 

Posted (edited)

I believe that some TS/TSO 9mm folks have similar issues (albeit not with 170mm mags) and the issues were primarily around the factory followers.  I could be mistaken as its been some time since I have read/researched 9mm TSO mag issues.

Edited by muncie21

Grams did mine (170s & 140s) and they’ve been flawless ever since. Very quick turnaround.