Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flying into Boston for Area 7!!

I'm flying into the Boston airport for Area 7 in a month.  I will by flying with my two open guns and a bunch of high cap mags.

I have heard that some people have been arrested flying into there with firearms.  Will I be ok?

Thanks,

Christian 

Do you have an out of state LTC for MA and are the high caps pre-ban? If you don't have a LTC for MA I would have a friend meet you at the airport to take possession of the firearms once they are unloaded from the plane.

Edited by hijinx

7 hours ago, hijinx said:

Do you have an out of state LTC for MA and are the high caps pre-ban? If you don't have a LTC for MA I would have a friend meet you at the airport to take possession of the firearms once they are unloaded from the plane.

4 hours ago, Dan Sierpina said:

Can you change to Manchester, New Hampshire? It would save a lot of worry.

4 hours ago, Jlr99 said:

Or Portland, ME.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

I already have 2 non refundable flights to Boston.  (My dad and I). What grounds do the have to arrest someone for this?

Is a way around this be to have a resident come take possession of the firearms?

Obligatory not a lawyer statement. Here is a link to a lawyer's page discussing possession of a firearm in MA.  https://criminal.altmanllp.com/gun-charges-weapons.html

Basically, you need a LTC to possess a firearm in this state. For CYA purposes, the way I would do it would be to have a resident with a LTC take possession of the firearms for you and send the mags to a Fed Ex holding in the free state of NH.

There's no match worth getting arrested for over this stupid stuff. There's always an optional fee to re-schedule or re-book. You may not be able to cancel, but you can pay to adjust them. Don't mess with the shenanigans.

IANAL

Chapter 140: Section 131G. Carrying of firearms by non-residents; conditions

Section 131G. Any person who is not a resident of the commonwealth may carry a pistol or revolver in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of taking part in a pistol or revolver competition or attending any meeting or exhibition of any organized group of firearm collectors or for the purpose of hunting; provided, that such person is a resident of the United States and has a permit or license to carry firearms issued under the laws of any state, district or territory thereof which has licensing requirements which prohibit the issuance of permits or licenses to persons who have been convicted of a felony or who have been convicted of the unlawful use, possession or sale of narcotic or harmful drugs; provided, further, that in the case of a person traveling in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of hunting, he has on his person a hunting or sporting license issued by the commonwealth or by the state of his destination. Police officers and other peace officers of any state, territory or jurisdiction within the United States duly authorized to possess firearms by the laws thereof shall, for the purposes of this section, be deemed to have a permit or license to carry firearms as described in this section.

I would keep your match registration and information documents handy and easily accessible. 

This is Mass law on large capacity magazines but I can't find anywhere whether or not it applies to 'non-residents' also:

Magazine Capacity Restriction?YesYesMA Ch. 140 Sec. 121 Illegal to possess magazines of over 10 rounds capacity. Pre-ban magazines manufactured before September 13, 1994 are exempt from this restriction.

You are also covered under FOPA (Firearm Owners Protection Act) which is a U.S. Federal Law.

Again, I am NOT a lawyer.

I don't know if this helps or not, but I flew directly from Colorado to Boston last year for the Area 7 match with two Limited guns and several high cap magazines and didn't have any issues or even a raised eyebrow going into or out of the airport at Boston. My experience with declaring firearms during check in or picking them up at baggage claim was pretty much the same as everywhere else I have traveled with my competition guns and gear. Zero drama.

I will also state that I chose to drive more conservatively than I normally would after leaving the airport to minimize the chance of getting pulled over and potentially needing to explain my firearms and or magazine possession situation. Basically, I didn't want to risk winning the "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" game.

MA is quirky and it all depends on who you happen to run in to or need to talk to.

Some follow the TSA and airline rules and others make up rules as they go... and they are usually ridiculously strict rules they make up on the fly.

i would say the safest is to have someone with an LTC meet you and take possession. The standard (High) cap mags are a semi issue.  Most likely, no one would even notice or care.  It would only really be a problem if you are stopped and someone decides to inspect all your stuff.  Chances of that happening is probably low.

Are you staying in NH or MA?

if NH, can you ship the mags to your hotel?

Thanks for the info guys.

Really paranoid because it would be my dad getting in trouble for the guns and magazines, not me.  I called Boston PD today and talked with an officer and said that I was totally fine and should not worry.  

I'm gonna print out the rules tonight as well.